Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Guillen to Oakland

Now this is the type of trade I expected the Reds to make for Williamson.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Put me down in favor of the deal. I knew very little about Harang when I heard it announced on the radio, but had heard the name on Sportscenter in the past. I know that's lame, but I don't follow the AL at all. I like his numbers, his age, etc... Getting ANOTHER arm in Valentine is icing on the cake. Guillen was gone after the season, so this was a no brainer. If we can get some more arms from the Mariners for Aaron, let's proceed.

Originally posted by CougarQuest
    Now this is the type of trade I expected the Reds to make for Williamson.
    Yea, with this return for Guillen, I'm really surprised by the return in the Williamson trade. Just goes to show you, if you don't take money back ($1.2M) you can get some good prospects if you deal with the right team. I hope we don't make another deal with Boston for about 10 years. They don't have any prospects that I am interested in below the Youkillis, Sanchez level.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Originally posted by haassolo
    Offensively the reds are fine, we need pitching.
    We obviously need pitching, but I wouldn't say our offense is fine. We rank 27th out of 30 major league teams in hitting, and lead in strikeouts by a mile.

excellent trade,I'bring Pena back and see what he can do for the rest of the season. Nothing to lose and a lot to gain.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

reds_01

Guillen Trade Was A Ripp Off!

We got basically nothing out of that trade, we could have gotten so much better for Guillen. Please reply to this and tell me how you feel.

Originally posted by PuffyPig
    As Guillen was a FA after this season, we've traded 2 months of Guillen. We csan still sign him as a FA, which though unlikely, is probably no worse chance than if we kept him.
    I think it's safe to assume that relations with Guillen are so strained, we have a zero percentage chance of signing him as a FA.. The dude just packed up his stuff and hoped to be traded yestereday.. Somehow, I doubt he'd even consider coming back next year.

In contrast, Lofton loved the Tribe and was hurt by the trade.
    Guillen is probably doing the happy dance now.. And I'm happy for him. This is an excellent opportunity for him to be in a pennant race.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by Terry
    We obviously need pitching, but I wouldn't say our offense is fine. We rank 27th out of 30 major league teams in hitting, and lead in strikeouts by a mile.
    We are if you base hitting ability on BA, as opposed to runs.

I count offense by how many runs you put on the board, and we are middle of the pack in the NL.

Originally posted by Rojo
    Whether you like Harang or Valentine or not is almost beside the point. The point is that these are the kind of guys we should be getting back - players that either ML-ready or have electric stuff. And not Class-A middle-of-the-rotation maybes and toolsy outfielders.
    I agree completely Rojo.. Both of them will proabably be on the big league team next year (due to the impending emptying of the bullpen, I expect Valentine has an inside track).

Worse case, Harang is mediocre, but we pay him about 4 million less than Dempster for his mediocrity. But Dempster is a pretty low bar to surpass
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by REDREAD
    I agree completely Rojo.. Both of them will proabably be on the big league team next year (due to the impending emptying of the bullpen, I expect Valentine has an inside track).

Both will be with the Reds next season. I expect both to be with us this year. Harang, in particular, has little to learn in AAA.

I am not overly impressed with this trade, Aaron Harang's ceiling is not that high but at least he is Major league ready.

Originally posted by Griffey30
    I am not overly impressed with this trade, Aaron Harang's ceiling is not that high but at least he is Major league ready.
    Yep, welcome to "lowered expectations"..

The Reds are at the point where they need semi-respectable cheap bodies to man the ship, and plenty of them though.

Harang isn't going to lead us anywhere, but at least he hopefully plugs a hole in the rotation.

For the life of me, I can't understand why Guillen would have a "strained" relationship with the team that saved him from baseball exhile and gave him a chance to rejuvenate his career.

Posted by M2:
    Count me among those who figure it's time to toss Wily Mo into the starting lineup upon his recall and leave him there until he's traded or the season ends.
    I agree M2.....I feel the same about Olmedo....and GULP....if indeed Boone is traded, I feel the same about Larson at 3B.

Shoot. If you are owned by Carl Lindner, you may as well look like the Brewers.

Hey, that's actually a pretty good deal!

Turn Off Ads?