Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Guillen to Oakland

At least they got an arm that's close in Harang and a guy who throws rockets in Valentine.

Would have preferred Joe Blanton (younger, but a step up in quality), but this is an all right deal. Harang's one of those guys that doesn't throw as hard as you might think for a big guy.

But there's the chance the Reds just got themselves a pitcher or two for a guy they claimed off the discard pile and that's not a bad thing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by Cedric
    If true it forces the M's hand. YES!!

How exactly does this force the M's hand? Do you really believe Gillick will give up two of the best prospects in the system for Boone? Or even one of them? I wouldn't get too excited about those chances.

Guillen came from the AL. Welcome back to earth Jose!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by couch30
    Anyone know about Harang's contract? How long he is signed for etc?

He's got about .5 years of service time. He's ours until FA, after the 2009 season, assuming he comes to Cincy right away. I'm assuming his previous service time and the rest of this year do not add up to 1 full year.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    I don't like Harang at all, but I still like this deal for the Reds if Valentine's in the deal.

My one concern is that this is his 3rd organization in 2 years. Maybe there's baggage. Otherwise, the guy has a reported 96 mile per hour TWO SEAM fastball. That's right. A sinking fastball over 95.... allegedly.

My second concern is that the A's are dealing him, and despite what Moneyball says, they don't really trade away very many good players.
    Stick to your guns.

Originally posted by Arschloch
    Of course not, but given the choice of guessing a guy's future based on:
    A) ~80 games in the Minors OR
    B) ~20 games in the Majors,
    I'll select option A. Also keep in mind that last year he posted a 4.83 ERA for the A's which, although not especially impressive, isn't all that bad for a guy during his first partial season.
    Whatever the case, I am not happy with this trade. This guy has been in the minors for 6 years (Valentine). Harang has been in the minors for 5 years. Hopefully they will work out, as optimistic you are. Remember, JimBo made trades in the last 5 years for 40 pitching prospects.....and who do we have now?

Anyway, with this trade, we don't have our 'MVP' anymore, and will have no real run production anymore. Forget about fun with this team for this year or the next 3 years.

Thanks Mr. Allen and Lindner.

Please sensible fans.....DO NOT GO TO the GABP!!!!!!!! It's not a palace for the fans as promised, it's Lindner's and Allen's playpen.

From ESPN: "Cincinnati continues to unload salaries ..."

Is the line automatically inserted into every Reds trade story? How much was Guillen making this year?

Okay, this brings me two steps back from the ledge. Like the two arms in this deal, and perhaps there is someone at the wheel in the FO. We still really are hurting from the Willy deal, and it will take a serious arm or two from Boone to make up for it. GABP may be a nightmare park for Harang though.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Originally posted by max venable
    Harang is not a lefty, is he?

Also

So what do the Reds do at 3B after Aaron is gone? I'm not convinced that Larson is the answer.
    No, Larson IS the answer, cause he's cheaper!!!!!!!!

Is the line automatically inserted into every Reds trade story? How much was Guillen making this year?
    Not much for this year - maybe they were thinking ahead about how much he would command...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Originally posted by cincinnati chili
    My second concern is that the A's are dealing him, and despite what Moneyball says, they don't really trade away very many good players.
    Yea, Berroa's only going to be AL rookie of the year this season.

Why do we make threads like this one "sticky" when it's going to stay at the top anyway?

I think whoever said this might be forcing Gillick's hand is implying that the M's chief competition just upgraded its offense. Now will the M's do the same.

If Seattle adds Boone to its lineup, that's a pretty balanced club top to bottom.

With Guillen gone, there's now plenty of OF time for Wily Mo once he finishes his rehab assignment.

(Assuming Wily's not included in another deal in the next 24 hours or so...)

Might as well use the next 8 weeks to see if Wily's worth the contractual constraints.

Telephone Sanitizer
    Originally posted by djeternal
    Anyway, with this trade, we don't have our 'MVP' anymore, and will have no real run production anymore. Forget about fun with this team for this year or the next 3 years.
    You mean to say that until today, you were still holding out hope for next year? Why?
    The more players the Reds dump in the next few days, the more convinced I'll be that they've realized it's time to rebuild. It was time to rebuild before this year even started, but the stupid Bowden 2003/new park declaration put it off. I hate to sound so pessimistic, but at this point (well, before this week) anybody who thought this team had a snowball's chance in hell of making noise next year was deluding themselves.

Whatever the case, I am not happy with this trade. This guy has been in the minors for 6 years (Valentine). Harang has been in the minors for 5 years. Hopefully they will work out, as optimistic you are.
    If they were not pitchers I would be concerned... isn't one of them 24 years old?
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?