Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Guillen to Oakland

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Originally posted by letsgojunior
    Dumpster is probably breaking him in right now. Lesson 1: How to suck and blame your problems on the manager!
    John Allen makes Ryan Dempster a prophet:

With Guillen gone they are going to have to pitch a shutout to win.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Harang has an ERA of 5 in one of the most pitcher friendly parks in baseball.
    Thats in a whole 18 innings, he does have a 2.32 ERA in a hitters league (PCL), Hardens was 3.15 in the same league.

With Guillen gone they are going to have to pitch a shutout to win.
    Oh please.... he's gone, jump on the bandwagon coming the other way.

I like any trades that bring us a slew of pitching hope. As others have said Guillen was gone sooner or later.

See now, I like this trade. This is the type of trade I expected. I think Harang can be a good starting pitcher. I think Valentine can be good closer, if not at least a set-up pitcher. The best you could hope from Bruksch is probably middle relief down the road.

I still can't believe that they couldn't have gotten a better player than a 22 year old single A pitcher for Williamson.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thats in a whole 18 innings, he does have a 2.32 ERA in a hitters league (PCL), Hardens was 3.15 in the same league.
    That's just a split from this year. I was speaking from the perspective that he has 108 IP @ at a 4.97 ERA for his career, even though that park presents a tremendous advantage to lower his overall ERA.

In fact, over his career, one can argue that Harang has benefitted tremendously from Oakland: 3.64 ERA home 6.57 road.

http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/p...&type=Pitching

What's going to happen when he regularly pitches in one of the top 3 home run parks in baseball?

Originally posted by westofyou

I imagine she is alluding to his *career* 4.97ERA and the unpleasant secondary barometers which accompany them, over the much more representative span of 108IPs.

He has 6 starts and 30IP under his belt this year, and that ERA, OPS against, and WHIP are uglier than his delivery. And an ugly home/road split, to boot.

If I am listening right, doesn't it sound like Kullman made the trade of Williamson and Maddux made the trade of Guillen?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Originally posted by Santo Alcala
    For the life of me, I can't understand why Guillen would have a "strained" relationship with the team that saved him from baseball exile and gave him a chance to rejuvenate his career.
    Because, as someone put it once, gratitude is the least deeply felt of human emotions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For the life of me, I can't understand why Guillen would have a "strained" relationship with the team that saved him from baseball exile and gave him a chance to rejuvenate his career.
    Well. because he said he'd resign only if he could start full time.

Because he complained about playing time

Because he didn't even want to be in the team picture

Because he packed his stuff early, hoping to be traded.

To me, those actions far outwiegh that one feel good quote about him wanting to come back.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Originally posted by wheels
    I just can't see what the problem is!

Are people really losing thier minds over Jose Guillen?

Jose Guillen?

The guy has had a terrific year. Absolutely no doubt about that.
    Do people honestly think this is anything other than another guy having a carreer CONTRACT year?

He's gonna end up ripping off whoever signs him in the off season.
    Count on it.

The Reds get a closer to now than future solid Major League starter and a relief pitcher with Scott Williamson - like stuff.

Oh...Boooo hoooo.

I am sure many fans have made the same statement you made about the other players we lost or traded and they have done absolutely nothing in the Majors right now. I can name a few that are still doing pretty darn good, can you? I know you can.

Huh?
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Originally posted by wheels
    Huh?
    Please explain what you meant by Guillen and his career year? You are saying he will do nothing else with another team, right? If so, I am saying look around the Majors at our previous players we once had and many people like yourself made the EXACT same statement in what you posted and those players are still in the Majors producing and having just as good years as they did here or even better.

Can you name me a few? I can.

I'm willing to bet that Jose doesn't have another 1.000 OPS season in him.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Not to change the subject but here is what rotoword thinks of our newest pitcher.

Aaron Harang is in the A's bullpen for now, but how long he remains there is undetermined.
    Harang could go back to Triple-A Sacramento to work on consistency, but he was 7-2 with a 2.38 ERA at Sacramento when he was called up, only to end up pitching just once in his first 14 days with the A's, which he thinks threw him off. Harang believes consistent work will help him be a consistent pitcher. Harang can still be a worthy bottom-of-the-rotation pitcher, but has no value unless he's starting regularly

Doesn't sound real good

Originally posted by cReds1
    Please explain what you meant by Guillen and his career year? You are saying he will do nothing else with another team, right? If so, I am saying look around the Majors at our previous players we once had and many people like yourself made the EXACT same statement in what you posted and those players are still in the Majors producing and having just as good years as they did here or even better.

Can you name me a few? I can.
    Ok. Find the Reds on other teams that once had a 1.000 OPS with us (heck, you can use .900 OPS if you want) and tell us which of them are doing "just as well" on other teams.

In fact, find some of the pitchers we've dealt after "career years" and tell us how well they're doing on other teams also.

Guillen may certainly turn in .800-.850 OPS seasons from here on out. That's not producing "just as well".

Buy low- sell high. That's the name of the game in a small market.

Now...we just have to figure out if we actually "sold high". That's where the value of this trade lies.

Turn Off Ads?