Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Guillen to Oakland

I am thrilled with this deal.

I doubt Guillen would have re-signed here anyway.
    I hate the Cubs!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I believe Guillen made the minimum, as he was signed to a non-guaranteed minor league deal in spring training
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by djeternal

Anyway, with this trade, we don't have our 'MVP' anymore, and will have no real run production anymore. Forget about fun with this team for this year or the next 3 years.

As Guillen was a FA after this season, we've traded 2 months of Guillen. We csan still sign him as a FA, which though unlikely, is probably no worse chance than if we kept him.

great deal

I like Guillen alot, but lets be honest we don't need him w/ Dunn,Kearns, and Griffey (next year),
    Harang will be our #1, he is actually owned in fantasy baseball leagues haha

Originally posted by PuffyPig
    As Guillen was a FA after this season, we've traded 2 months of Guillen. We csan still sign him as a FA, which though unlikely, is probably no worse chance than if we kept him.

EXACTLY!!!!

Originally posted by max venable
    Why do we make threads like this one "sticky" when it's going to stay at the top anyway?
    So we avoid 10 threads about the same subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Will WMP now get some ML ABs. Its the minors but he's ding very well in Louisville on his rehab assigment.

Clemson
    [i]
    My second concern is that the A's are dealing him, and despite what Moneyball says, they don't really trade away very many good players. [/B]
    First, you have to remember that Moneyball is very pro-Beane and was written by a guy who loved the way Beane worked, it was not meant to make him look bad at all.

Second, they have also traded Eric Hinske away who is a very good 3B

Originally posted by PuffyPig
    Interesting. Unlikely, yes, but seeing as how this team isn't going anywhere this year, they deal Guillen and then the new GM resigns him for next year. It's not unheard of (see Lofton, Kenny)
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Telephone Sanitizer
    Originally posted by GriffeyFan
    I think whoever said this might be forcing Gillick's hand is implying that the M's chief competition just upgraded its offense. Now will the M's do the same.

If Seattle adds Boone to its lineup, that's a pretty balanced club top to bottom.
    Anyone else notice Carlos Guillen went on the DL last night/this morning? He's supposed to be out 3-6 weeks. So if they think Boone can handle SS, they could use him there or at 3B. Great timing by Carlos... for the Reds, anyhow.

OK, we just lost our best hitter, and soon may lose Aaron, who IMO is our second best hitter. Our offense was bad enough already, but it looks like it's going to get a lot worse.

Thank goodness pitching help is on the way!

The M's got Sanchez to replace Carlos.

Whether you like Harang or Valentine or not is almost beside the point. The point is that these are the kind of guys we should be getting back - players that either ML-ready or have electric stuff. And not Class-A middle-of-the-rotation maybes and toolsy outfielders.

as for the money thing don't assume the reds did not ask. oakland does not have a lot of money to spend, so guillen is a good option because they don't have to pay too much salary wise. Also, the Reds would probably except cash for Guillen but, Oakland has none, therefore the Reds were forced (thankfully) to take talent. If this was a deal with any other team it would probably be Harang or Valentin and cash, but Oakland has no cash and needed to throw both guys in. Oakland was probably scared that someone with cash like the Yankees or Cubs would come along and offer a comparable player to Harang or Valentine and cash, so Oakland had to anty up on this one.
    Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that f***ing dog!

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Yep. Beane has no problem giving up value to get value, although he obviously expects to get the better end of most of his deals.

Turn Off Ads?