Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Guillen to Oakland

Anyone else want to take a stab at a lineup?

C LaRue
    1B Casey
    2B Jiminez
    SS Olmedo
    3B Larson
    OF Ruben
    OF Reggie
    OF Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    from espn.com:

The skinny on Harang

6'7" & 240 lbs.

That's an Adam Dunn build.

Also have him listed as a flyball/finesse pitcher.

Maybe that Don Gullett fella can help Aaron coax a few more mph out of his heater...

NO! KEEP DON GULLET AWAY FROM THIS DUDE!!!

I hope WMP gets some regular time in CF. We need to develop him or shed him.

Originally posted by 15fan
    from espn.com:

The skinny on Harang

6'7" & 240 lbs.

That's an Adam Dunn build.

Also have him listed as a flyball/finesse pitcher.

Maybe that Don Gullett fella can help Aaron coax a few more mph out of his heater...
    The skinny on a guy who weighs 240?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

If the A's win the Series, then they did win this trade. But, so what. Harang and Valentine might be Tim Pugh and Marc Kroon, but add arms we must.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by max venable
    The M's got Sanchez to replace Carlos.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offensively the reds are fine, we need pitching. Yes, guillen was our best hitter but will he be our best hitter next year and worth the money the he will demand? I would rather have pitching, it goes a lot farther and the Reds are learning that right now. I hope the WMP gives some playing time now in the Majors and then we can move him to the fall league in Arizona and them get him some reps in a domincan league
    Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that f***ing dog!

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Went and read the article regarding Valentine on the Sacremento website and then found their article on the trade----they have announced who the 3rd player is--Jeff Bruksch

Two River Cats pitchers traded to Reds

A's Acquire Jose Guillen From Cincinnati

July 30, 2003

Aaron Harang, Joe Valentine and Jeff Bruksch Dealt to the Reds

OAKLAND, Calif. - The Oakland A's today acquired outfielder Jose Guillen from the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for minor league right handed pitchers Aaron Harang, Joe Valentine and Jeff Bruksch.

Guillen was batting .337 with 23 home runs and 63 RBI in 91 games with the Reds and is currently third in the National League in batting and fourth in slugging. He has batted .314 or better in each of the first four months of the season and has nine home runs and 24 RBI in 26 games in July. The 27-year old Guillen was leading the Reds in batting and doubles (21) and was second in home runs and RBI. His 23 home runs are a career high and his .337 batting average is 63 points better than his previous career best of .274 in 2001 with Tampa Bay. Guillen began the season at Triple-A Louisville but was promoted to Cincinnati on April 8 when Ken Griffey, Jr. went on the disabled list. He is eligible for free agency at the end of this season.

Guillen made his major league debut with Pittsburgh in 1997 and has played for the Pirates (1997-99), Tampa Bay (1999-2001), Arizona (2002) and Cincinnati (2002-03) during his seven seasons in the majors. He hit 14 home runs in each of his first two seasons with the Pirates, his best figures prior to this year, and had a career high 84 RBI with Pittsburgh in 1998. The native of the Dominican Republic is a .270 career hitter with 75 home runs and 331 RBI in 705 major league games.

Harang, 25, has split the 2003 season between Oakland and Triple-A Sacramento. He was 1-3 with a 5.34 ERA in seven games, six starts, with Oakland and 8-2 with a 2.71 ERA in 12 starts with Sacramento. Valentine, who was acquired in the Keith Foulke trade, has spent the entire season at Sacramento and is 1-3 with four saves and a 4.82 ERA in 40 relief appearances. Bruksch, the A's 5th round pick in the 2001 draft, was 10-8 with a 5.13 ERA in 23 games at Single-A Modesto.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by Rojo
    If the A's win the Series, then they did win this trade. But, so what. Harang and Valentine might be Tim Pugh and Marc Kroon, but add arms we must.
    If the A's win the series and the arms pan out, we both win the trade. It can happen.

Yes. Put WMP in the lineup now and just leave him there. Why not?

Then let's see if we can somehow dump Casey and move Dunn to 1B.

Originally posted by max venable
    Anyone else want to take a stab at a lineup?

C LaRue
    1B Casey
    2B Jiminez
    SS Olmedo
    3B Larson
    OF Ruben
    OF Reggie
    OF Dunn
    If/when Boone is traded, this would be my lineup:

2B Jimenez
    SS Olmedo
    1B Casey
    LF Dunn
    RF Mateo
    3B Branyan
    C LaRue
    CF Taylor (Pena if healthy and recalled)

I'd like to see what Branyan could do if given consistent plate appearances.
    I'm not a hooligan. I'm a Reds supporter.

Hooray Beer!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Originally posted by djeternal
    Whatever the case, I am not happy with this trade. This guy has been in the minors for 6 years (Valentine). Harang has been in the minors for 5 years. Hopefully they will work out, as optimistic you are. Remember, JimBo made trades in the last 5 years for 40 pitching prospects.....and who do we have now?

Anyway, with this trade, we don't have our 'MVP' anymore, and will have no real run production anymore. Forget about fun with this team for this year or the next 3 years.

Thanks Mr. Allen and Lindner.

Please sensible fans.....DO NOT GO TO the GABP!!!!!!!! It's not a palace for the fans as promised, it's Lindner's and Allen's playpen.
    I'm trying to do the math here. Valentine is 23 and will be the rest of the season. He went to junior college. How could he have played in the minors for 6 years?
    Stick to your guns.

Here is the link to the player profile page for Jeff Bruksch

http://modestoathletics.com/

Telephone Sanitizer
    Originally posted by LexingtonRedsFan
    Went and read the article regarding Valentine on the Sacremento website and then found their article on the trade----they have announced who the 3rd player is--Jeff Bruksch
    He's 23 years old.

So far this year, he has a 5.13 ERA at high-A, with 87/54 K/BB in 126+ innings. Not very impressive.

Last year, he posted a 4.65 ERA, but with a much better 163/66 K/BB ratio in 149 innings.

Sounds like a wild card to me.

Turn Off Ads?