Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Guillen to Oakland

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by cincinnati chili
    I'm trying to do the math here. Valentine is 23 and will be the rest of the season. He went to junior college. How could he have played in the minors for 6 years?
    Hey, I graduated from high school at 18, went to university for 6 years, and have worked for 23 more, and I'm still 39.

It's the new math.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I love it.

And you know what? If they can't be in a pennant race, the next best thing is a good old fashioned fire sale.

Arms for the poor!
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Originally posted by Arschloch
    He's 23 years old.

So far this year, he has a 5.13 ERA at high-A, with 87/54 K/BB in 126+ innings. Not very impressive.

Last year, he posted a 4.65 ERA, but with a much better 163/66 K/BB ratio in 149 innings.

Sounds like a wild card to me.
    Just so people are clear, Arschlock is talking about the 3rd guy in the deal. Not to bust your chops, but your quote referred to Valentine, who had a 2.44 career minor league ERA until this year.
    Stick to your guns.

Guess it's not Komine.

Originally posted by PuffyPig
    Hey, I graduated from high school at 18, went to university for 6 years, and have worked for 23 more, and I'm still 39.

It's the new math.

The years are according to Lance McAllister on 1360.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Code:
      PITCHERS               W-L    PCT    ERA   G GS CG SHO GF SV  IP     H   AB  TBF   R  ER HR SH SF HB  BB IB  SO WP BK 0H 1H 2H 3H
      Bruksch, Jeffrey      10- 8  .556   5.13  23 23  0   0  0  0 126.1 144  492  559  84  72 14  1  8  4  54  0  87 19  1  0  0  0  0
    He was drafted in 2001 out of Stanford. Looks like the fringe-prospect type.

Aaron Harang - S - Cincinnati Reds Jul 30

Reds acquired RHP Aaron Harang and RHP Joe Valentine from the Athletics for OF Jose Guillen.

A nice return for a player who is going to be a free agent after the season. Harang might be assigned to the minors initially, but he should soon move into Cincinnati's rotation and could have a little fantasy value during the final two months. He'll probably be a decent fourth starter for the next few years.

Joe Valentine - R - Cincinnati Reds Jul 30

RHP Joe Valentine was traded from Oakland to Cincinnati in a three-player deal.

Valentine, who was acquired by the A's from the White Sox in the Billy Koch-Keith Foulke deal, has had a disappointing season, posting a 4.82 ERA in 40 relief appearances for Triple-A Sacramento. He's still a quality relief prospect, and there's a slight chance that he'll become Cincinnati's closer during 2004. Expect him to join the team in September.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Thank God Miley is experienced at shuffling rosters. This week, he's the perfect man for the job.

Originally posted by djeternal
    The years are according to Lance McAllister on 1360.
    Tell Lance he's wrong, then. Valentine was drafted in 1999.

Out of Stanford? Maybe he's the new GM.

Count me among those who figure it's time to toss Wily Mo into the starting lineup upon his recall and leave him there until he's traded or the season ends.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

From ESPN article (fantasy write-up section)

Something that should not be forgotten: Harang had terrific minor league numbers and could be a valuable starting pitcher for the Reds.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Originally posted by M2
    Count me among those who figure it's time to toss Wily Mo into the starting lineup upon his recall and leave him there until he's traded or the season ends.
    Makes sense. If we can't give him developmental at-bats during the seasonal equivalent of garbage time, when would we ever?

From Baseball America, Oakland's top 10 prospects before the 2003 season:

Joe Valentine, rhp

Age: 23. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 195. Drafted: Jefferson Davis (Ala.) JC, 1999 (26th round). Signed by: George Bradley/Warren Hughes (White Sox).

Background: The White Sox lost Valentine to the Tigers in the 2001 major league Rule 5 draft, then got him back when he showed little command in spring training with Detroit. He led the minors with 36 saves in 2002, then came to Oakland in the Keith Foulke/Billy Koch trade in December. Valentine held opponents to a .173 average and has allowed just 89 hits in 160 innings over the last three seasons.

Strengths: There’s no subtlety with Valentine. He’s a fastball/slider pitcher who can hit 96 mph, and he keeps hitters off-balance by busting heat inside when they appear too comfortable. There are nights when his slider is filthy, and his pitches complement each other well.

Weaknesses: Valentine can be wild and has averaged nearly a walk per two innings as a pro. But because he is so tough to hit, the walks rarely come back to haunt him.

The Future: Few minor league closers turn into major league closers, but the A’s think Valentine could be an exception. Foulke becomes a free agent after the 2003 season, so Oakland could look to Valentine as soon as 2004. He should make his big league debut at some point in 2003.

Is this guy Scott Williamson's clone?

Wow...there is a Jefferson Davis College. Unbelievable
    Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that f***ing dog!

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Originally posted by knuckler

Is this guy Scott Williamson's clone?

Those were my exact thoughts as I was reading through that.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?