Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Guillen to Oakland

Originally posted by PuffyPig
    I count offense by how many runs you put on the board, and we are middle of the pack in the NL.
    A lot of those runs were scored in April and May, when we were on a pace to set an all-time record for home runs by one team. Our offense has been a lot different the past two months. And how bad would our June/July offense have been without Guillen? I'm not against trading Guillen, but from here on we need to make sure we don't trade away so much offense that we can't score for our new starting pitchers.

Woe is me, the lifelong Reds fan.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
    July 30, 2003
    CINCINNATI (AP) -- The Oakland Athletics bulked up their outfield by getting Jose Guillen from the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday for right-hander Aaron Harang and two minor league pitchers.

Guillen was the Reds' top hitter, filling in during Ken Griffey Jr.'s two serious injuries. He was hitting .337 -- third in the National League -- with 23 homers and 63 RBIs in 91 games.

The A's felt they needed a more productive outfield to pull off another one of their second-half surges and overtake Seattle in the AL West. Oakland is second-last in the league in batting average.

Eric Byrnes was the only consistent outfielder in the first half, but he started to tail off after the All-Star break. Chris Singleton, signed to a one-year contract in the offseason, lost his job and has been on the bench.

The 27-year-old Guillen is going to his fifth team in seven years. He finally started living up to expectations in Cincinnati, but bristled at his backup role when Griffey was healthy enough to play.

``I appreciate the Reds giving me a new life, so I could show people I can still play every day,'' Guillen said. ``I would just love to stay here. I haven't felt so comfortable in a long time.''

He was comfortable, but not always happy. When Griffey returned from a dislocated shoulder in May, Guillen demanded a trade rather than returning to a backup role. Guillen also threw three bats against a clubhouse wall in June after learning he wasn't in the starting lineup that day.

Guillen couldn't move ahead of Griffey, Adam Dunn or Austin Kearns. He was interested in staying in Cincinnati next season, but not as a backup. The Reds decided to trade him rather than letting him leave as a free agent and getting nothing in return.

The A's also sent the Reds right-handers Joe Valentine and Jeff Bruksch.

``Several clubs were interested in him,'' scouting director Leland Maddox said. ``It was a matter of getting the best package we could put together of guys who are ready for the major leagues. The theme is pitching, pitching, pitching.''

It was the Reds' second trade in two days since they fired general manager Jim Bowden and manager Bob Boone. The Reds sent closer Scott Williamson to Boston late Tuesday night for prospects.

The trade of Williamson stunned the clubhouse. Guillen's trade was no surprise -- he had packed up belongings in the clubhouse this week, hoping to leave.

As the rest of the players put on their game uniforms for the annual team photo on Wednesday afternoon, Guillen stayed in T-shirt and shorts.

``What do you think?'' he said. ``It makes no sense to go outside and take a picture.''

He eventually suited up and was the last one to join the team photo. Afterward, he sat in front of the dugout and did a television interview while the rest of the team did the mandatory pregame stretch. Several teammates called for him to join them, but he ignored them.

Five minutes into the interview, a teammate hit him in the face with a paper plate slathered with shaving cream. Guillen wiped it away and kept on doing the interview while his teammates worked out.

An hour after he had his picture taken as part of the 2003 Reds, he got word that he was traded.

Harang opened the season at Triple-A Sacramento, went 7-2 with a 2.38 ERA, then was called up. He was 1-3 with a 5.34 ERA in seven games before he was sent back to the minors.

Valentine was 1-3 with a 4.82 ERA and four saves for Sacramento. Bruksch was 10-8 with a 5.13 ERA in 23 starts for Class-A Modesto
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Now this is all I was asking for

I was, and am, one of the doomsayers and Allen bashers. But this trade is fine with me because we at least got useable prospects who have potential. If they keep getting back real prospects then things will not be as bleak as I feared

However, it is equally clear that the Reds, who forced the taxpayers of Hamilton County into financining their brand new ballpark are going to go into next season with a payroll equal to or less than what they had before the new ballpark - and they are doing it in less than one year. Even the Pirates raised payroll for over two years before they did the fire sale. Of course the Pirates are a horrible team, and probably a bad barometer, but the fact remains.

Lindner got a new stadium, new revenues, concession monies, naming rights for his company at below market cost and for this he reaised payroll less than 10 million (as it stands right noe, cause that number could decrease if they trade away enough players and get more cash back)

Enjoy next years Cincinnati Riverbats
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

This is to the response that the A's and i guess the Braves also....never EVER trade players that are any good.

The Reds of the late 60's early 70's had the same track record.

The Pinson for Tolan and Granger deal.

The Cardenas for Merritt deal.

The obvious HOU deals.

But later on this team got hosed for Joaquin Andujar.........the Perez deal......no matter how much Driessen needed to pay.
    Trading Mike Caldwell for nada.....and not even giving him a chance to do anything with the Reds.

Trading Bill Caudill. I know these go back a ways but it shows how even the scouts in Cincy made mistakes and they were one of the best.

Basically.......sooner or later some of these teams let someone go that is good...........and for JG i think this is not bad.
    He has only hit this good for 1/2 a season......if he had been doing this for the last 2-3 years then he would have merited that other OAK stud starter and maybe another starter from the minors.

By John Fay
    The Cincinnati Enquirer

The Reds unloaded another top player today, sending outfielder Jose Guillen to the Oakland Athletics for right-handed pitchers Aaron Harang, Joe Valentine and Jeff Bruksch.

The Reds, throwing in the towel on a disappointing season, traded reliever Scott Williamson to the Boston Red Sox Tuesday night.

Guillen hit .337 with 23 home runs and 63 RBI for the Reds in only 315 at-bats. He's on a one-year contract and can become a free agent after the season.

The Reds had talks about re-signing him.

"He was willing to come back for a very reasonable offer," assistant general manager Leland Maddox said.

"I've got to appreciate the opportunity the Reds gave me," Guillen said. "They gave me a chance for a new life."

Guillen didn't even make the team out of spring training. He was called up the first week of the season after Ken Griffey Jr. got hurt. He's been the Reds' best hitter.

Harang, a 25-year-old right-hander, started the year at Triple-A Sacramento and was 7-2 with 2.38 ERA before being promoted to Oakland. He went 1-3 with 5.34 ERA with the A's, then was sent back to Sacramento. He was 1-0 with a 3.78 ERA in three starts. The win came Tuesday when we allowed two runs over six innings.

Valentine, 23, was 1-3 with 4.38 ERA at Triple-A. Bruksch, also 23, was 10-8 with a 5.13 ERA at Single-A Modesto
    Anyone surprised about the bolded section? Does that change your view of the trade?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Nope.

I have no problem with this deal we got something in return for someone that was most likely not going to be here next year and even if he did come back at a reasonable price we would have no where to play him.

Beane makes his move, grabs Guillen from Reds
    By Will Kimmey
    July 30, 2003

Athletics general manager Billy Beane has made his first deadline deal of 2003. It's not his usual jaw-dropper, so there might be more to come. But he did take a step toward improving Oakland's offense by getting Jose Guillen from the Reds for minor league righthanders Joe Valentine, Aaron Harang and Jeff Bruksch.

Guillen, 27, has been a revelation for the Reds after starting the year in Triple-A. He entered 2003 with mediocre career numbers (.260 average, .305 on-base percentage, .398 slugging percentage in 2,050 at-bats) and his once-promising career appeared headed nowhere. He had reached the majors at age 20 with the Pirates in 1997 but never recovered from being rushed. Outside of showcasing one of the game's best outfield arms, he had little to boast about. But Guillen suddenly has blossomed, hitting .337-23-63 in 91 games and ranking fifth in the National League with a 1.013 on-base plus slugging percentage. Questions about his maturity and makeup have dogged him during his career, and he had a locker-room argument with former Reds manager Bob Boone over playing time earlier this year. Guillen, who's making $500,000, becomes a free agent for the first time after this season.

Valentine, 23, came to the A's in last December's Keith Foulke/Billy Koch trade with the White Sox. Valentine was a 26th-round pick out of Jefferson Davis (Ala.) JC in 1999. He led the minors with 36 saves in 2002, tying the Double-A Southern League record. Valentine goes after hitters with a fastball that can reach 96 mph and a slider that can be untouchable. He'll be ready for the majors once he masters his command, and he could battle Ryan Wagner to be Cincinnati's closer of the future. Valentine was 1-3, 4.82 with four saves in 40 games at Triple-A Sacramento. In 52 innings, he had a 53-37 strikeout-walk ratio and a .222 opponent average.

Harang, 25, has split the year between Oakland (1-3, 5.34 in seven games) and Sacramento (8-2, 2.71 in 12 outings). A 1999 sixth-round pick by the Rangers out of San Diego State, he was traded for Randy Velarde after the 2000 season. He struggled in the majors this year because his slider wasn't good enough to keep hitters honest. He likes to pitch up in the zone with an 89-92 mph fastball and also has a changeup. His overall big league record is 6-7, 4.97 in 23 games, with an 80-54 K-BB ratio and .281 opponent average in 109 innings.

Bruksch, a fifth-round pick out of Stanford in 2001, shared the career record for College World Series saves until Texas' Huston Street broke it with his fifth this year. Bruksch, 23, works almost exclusively with an 88-90 mph fastball and changeup. In 23 starts at high Class A Modesto, he was 10-8, 5.13. He also had an 87-54 K-BB ratio and .293 opponent average in 126 innings. He projects as a middle reliever.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Originally posted by CougarQuest
    Anyone surprised about the bolded section? Does that change your view of the trade?
    Guillen still can come back. See Mike Williams.

Whether you like Harang or Valentine or not is almost beside the point. The point is that these are the kind of guys we should be getting back - players that either ML-ready or have electric stuff. And not Class-A middle-of-the-rotation maybes and toolsy outfielders.
    Well said, Rojo!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 03:36 AM.

Originally posted by Ga_Red
    a bird in the hand for 3 bushes.....
    A bird that was gonna fly in two months.

Harang has an ERA of 5 in one of the most pitcher friendly parks in baseball.

He should fit in extremely well with our staff!

Dumpster is probably breaking him in right now. Lesson 1: How to suck and blame your problems on the manager!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Originally posted by Ga_Red
    a bird in the hand for 3 bushes.....
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I just can't see what the problem is!

Are people really losing thier minds over Jose Guillen?

Jose Guillen?

The guy has had a terrific year. Absolutely no doubt about that.
    Do people honestly think this is anything other than another guy having a carreer CONTRACT year?

He's gonna end up ripping off whoever signs him in the off season.
    Count on it.

The Reds get a closer to now than future solid Major League starter and a relief pitcher with Scott Williamson - like stuff.

Oh...Boooo hoooo.

"Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?