Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Lidle traded

Re: Lidle traded

It looks like O'Brien is trying to fill holes in the organization with marginal prospects. Not a bad idea when dealing trash, but a picture is emerging of a GM who's afraid to take chances.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Hudson starts tonight in AAA... he could be ready for Sunday without too much trouble, could he not?

Brian Rose is a possibility, though i'd rather see Etherton. A strong finish to the season by seth could net the reds a decent return in the offseason.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Doubt it. The trade said that we got J.Wilson, Moran, and a PTBNL OR cash considerations. I wouldn't be looking for a PTBNL if I were you.
    BA reported that the two PTBNLs are Narverson and Gall(#6). Narverson is a good prospect(#2 by BA) in a very thin Cardinal system.

I thought the Rockies did pretty well. For an overpaid and often injured 37 year old OF and they save almost $10M to boot.

Jr anyone?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Since Lidle's numbers probably aren't good enough to net a compensatory draft pick for letting him walk this winter, I was comfortable trading him for whatever we could get, even if it was the proverbial bag of baseballs. If this was the best anyone was willing to give up for him -- and with a 5.32 ERA, I don't doubt it -- then take it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog
    700 WLW saying that Josh Hancock will be moved to starter now.

Oh, Lord. Give the Reds 3 options and they'll choose option 4 (the made up one) everytime.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Hudson starts tonight in AAA... he could be ready for Sunday without too much trouble, could he not?
    His normal day would be Saturday, which is the day the Reds need a 5th starter.

Remember that players coming back would have to pass waivers as well if they are on a 40 I believe. Thus the ptbnl could fall in that category to get around it so he may be decent though "or cash" suggests otherwise.

Not bad as I doubt they would have risked offering lidle to get the FA b pick or whatever he might be. I do hope they offer Wilson though and get the picks.

Are you all serious?

You make it sound like this new pitcher is going straight to Cincinnati and will do well. News flash, he's in Single A and his ERA is 3.64. 3.64 in A is not good for someone you want to come up soon. 3.64 in A means like 5.50 in MLB.

Bad bad.

Here's what BA Prospect Handbook says about Joe Wilson:

Wilson works with a loose, quick, strong arm, and shows the makings of three average pitches. He throws his fastball in the 89-93 mph range with good life. He'll need to improve his secondary pitches, which are inconsistent. Wilson gets a hard downward bite on his slider when it's working, and has shown an excellent feel for his changeup, which he focused on in his first pro summer.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I'm sure the Phillies wanted Paul Wilson instead of Lidle, so maybe this indicates that Paul won't be traded and will be re-signed. In which case, no matter how bad this trade turns out, it could have been worse.

Time is the Revelator.

Why is this a bad trade? Why do people care about Cory Lidle? :MandJ:

I don't think this can turn out bad, Lidle was a goner, he's not very good, we got some body's for him

Good deal
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52
    I'm sure the Phillies wanted Paul Wilson instead of Lidle, so maybe this indicates that Paul won't be traded and will be re-signed. In which case, no matter how bad this trade turns out, it could have been worse.
    More likley that someone claimed Wilson on waivers or that DanO wasn't willing to deal him for marginal prospects.

Maybe he still hopes the fast fading Rangers(hammered 4 in a row by the O's) will come calling with the player(s) he wanted in the first place.

Good analysis, Doc.

Now, who slots into Lidle's old spot:

Acevedo back into the rotation to see if he just needed a rest?
    Hudson up from AAA to see if he's really learned to throw strikes?
    Rose up from AA to see if he's real -- requiring adding him to the roster?
    Hancock back to a starting role, auditioning for 2005?
    Etherton up from AAA, including adding him to the 40-man?

The thing I like is whoever goes into Lidle's slot gets some exposure in August instead of just September, when rosters are filled with AAA callups and most of the competition is playing out the string. The wheels continue to turn...

Turn Off Ads?