Ahhhhhh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lidle traded

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I wasn't saying DanO is a good GM, or a bad GM for that matter. All I was saying is that we don't know that there wasn't something else in the plans here and the Phillies stepped in and blocked it.
    The genius Ed Wade was just doing an interview on sports writer's type shoe here in Philadelphia. He said that the Phils and Reds were in negotiations for Lidle before the deadline, but the Reds were still in contention, so they didn't want to give up Lidle. I guess they felt that they were officially out of it now, placed Lidle on waivers, and the Phillies put a claim on him. So it doesn't sound like there was anything more to this deal (like other teams involved or anything). Wade also said that during their original discussions involving Lidle before the deadline, the Reds said they wanted "major league ready" players. Then they went through some heavy negotiations after the Phils claimed Lidle and finally came to an agreement before the 1 pm deadline today.

Oh, and when I used the term "genius" to describe Wade, I was being sarcastic. Just making sure that was clear.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Even I could tell the Reds were out of contention before the deadline.

What were the discussions like before the deadline? Thats what I'd like to know.

What's the 1 p.m. deadline today he's referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    What's the 1 p.m. deadline today he's referring to?
    As far as I can figure it would be a deadline to do a deal or have the Reds pull him back or let the Phils have him for nothing.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It was the, "trade Lidle before he has another bad outing" deadline.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Tell me I'm Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    It was the, "trade Lidle before he has another bad outing" deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    As far as I can figure it would be a deadline to do a deal or have the Reds pull him back or let the Phils have him for nothing.
    Ah, that would make sense. Thanks.

Re: Lidle gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Lidle got traded for a Moran? That figures.

Hopefully it's Donnie Moran. That guy is a proven winner.

Re: Lidle gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Hopefully it's Donnie Moran. That guy is a proven winner.
    I wish it was Erin Moran, that way we could have a Joanie Loves Chachi bobblehead giveaway! :MandJ:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I feel about this trade the way that I did about the Jones for "who" and "what" trade at the deadline: never trade major leaguers for A-ballers unless they're absolute blue-chip prospects (these two are crapola). Otherwise, all you're doing is unloading salary and undercutting your major league roster for several starts. So the Reds saved $500,000; that's the extent of this trade. Great.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    So the Reds saved $500,000; that's the extent of this trade. Great.
    Hey, that's $500,000 that they can write a check to Dr. Kremcheck for in the future.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

You know, the best news about this is that the Reds can sign Lidle as a free agent now.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Considering the way Lidle was pitching and the fact he wasn't coming back, this was a good deal. Why would people expect major league ready, or near major league ready players for a guy who, at best, was a #5 pitcher this year? As for the Reds undercutting the major league roster and not trading for A ballers, Lidle was KILLING this starting rotation. He had a decent start against Colorado, but the guy has been horrible, nobody really wanted him, and we weren't going to get a decent major leaguer for him. I think O'Brien did a pretty good job. Now he needs to re-sign Paul Wilson. Paul Wilson, Aaron Harang and Brandon Claussen is a pretty good nucleus for a solid rotation next year. Add the pieces from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    Now he needs to re-sign Paul Wilson. Paul Wilson, Aaron Harang and Brandon Claussen is a pretty good nucleus for a solid rotation next year. Add the pieces from there.
    The problem with that is that if you resign Paul Wilson, the "pieces" you add from there will be $1.0M filler like Lidle was = .500 team, 4th place finishes. Had enough of that.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?