Tell me I'm Cool

Re: Lidle gone?

For who??? :gac:

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by airalex
    For who??? :gac:

For Pat Burrell - straight up.

Kidding kidding - don't know, they did well in the Jones trade - so hopefully someone good.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    For Pat Burrell - straight up.
    Hey Jr wouldn't be the highest paid OF next year for the Reds.

Maybe Burrell can play 3b, isn't that where he played in college.

No one special from what it sounds like. An OF named Moran and a pitcher named Joe Wilson. Both going to Dayton. Also a PTBNL.

Pays to have friends in the media sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    No one special from what it sounds like. An OF named Moran and a pitcher named Joe Wilson. Both going to Dayton. Also a PTBNL.

Lidle got traded for a Moran? That figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Lidle got traded for a Moran? That figures.

Hopefully it's Donnie Moran. That guy is a proven winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Hopefully it's Donnie Moran. That guy is a proven winner.
    I wish it was Erin Moran, that way we could have a Joanie Loves Chachi bobblehead giveaway! :MandJ:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt

A few clicks...

OF Javon Moran, 21:

http://www.sports-wired.com/players/...asp?Name=DCFEJ

5th-round pick in 2003 out of Auburn. He's hitting .285/.340/.385 with 39 steals in 56 attempts in 101 games for the Low-A Lakewood Blueclaws. 5'11", 175 lbs.- first glance shows him to be your classic jackrabbit, solid on hitting for average but low to mediocre on power and plate discipline.

Dayton does have a shortage of solid OFs behind Chris Dickerson and Cody Strait's possible future- Ben Himes and Kyle Smith are both injured and not doing well, while Jarrod Schmidt was released. Moran slots in well for the remainder of 2004, at least.
    ---

LHP, Joe Wilson, 22:

http://www.sports-wired.com/players/...asp?Name=DGIDI

13th-round pick in 2003 out of U. of Maryland-Baltimore County. He's 4-7 with a 3.64 ERA in 24 games, 19 starts, for the Low-A club. 74 hits in 94 IP, 49 BB, 89 K. Only four homers allowed, very nice. 6'3", 190 lbs., with decent pro numbers in the GCL and rookie leagues to this point.
    ---

Two college draftees with short professional careers to this point. Moran has tools, it seems; Wilson keeps the ball in the park, which along with BB/K ratio is a strong indicator of future success. I like the arm a little better at this point. Along with a PTBNL, again, not the world's worst haul for a FA-to-be pitcher with a 5.3 ERA on a team that needs to look at some more people more than it needs more of that 5.3 ERA.

Re: Lidle traded

Good analysis, Doc.

Now, who slots into Lidle's old spot:

Acevedo back into the rotation to see if he just needed a rest?
    Hudson up from AAA to see if he's really learned to throw strikes?
    Rose up from AA to see if he's real -- requiring adding him to the roster?
    Hancock back to a starting role, auditioning for 2005?
    Etherton up from AAA, including adding him to the 40-man?

The thing I like is whoever goes into Lidle's slot gets some exposure in August instead of just September, when rosters are filled with AAA callups and most of the competition is playing out the string. The wheels continue to turn...

Why didn't the Reds get Gavin Floyd for Lidle, I hate this team :mad: :mad:

FWIW, getting any lefty in the system is good. Sounds like Wilson will should make a good lefty reliever prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by knuckler
    Good analysis, Doc.

Now, who slots into Lidle's old spot:

Acevedo back into the rotation to see if he just needed a rest?
    Hudson up from AAA to see if he's really learned to throw strikes?
    Rose up from AA to see if he's real -- requiring adding him to the roster?
    Hancock back to a starting role, auditioning for 2005?
    Etherton up from AAA, including adding him to the 40-man?

The thing I like is whoever goes into Lidle's slot gets some exposure in August instead of just September, when rosters are filled with AAA callups and most of the competition is playing out the string. The wheels continue to turn...
    At his point Rose and Etherton are bullpen fodder at best since they are both in their late 20's and have a series of arm injuries. Of course the same could be said of Hudson but he has the kind of stuff that Roase and Etherton just wish for.

Leave Acevedo in the pen, he might have a future there. Bring up Hudson because he is out of options after this year so they need to give him 6 weeks to find out about him. Leaving him in AAA the rest of the year won't do anything because he is going to have to get out ML hitters next year.

Personally I would rather Hudson cut his teeth in the bullpen for the rest of this year and into next. I would like to see him do it at the major league level starting very soon. This season is over so don't overwork Hudson, he actually might have a decent future either as a starter or more likely a setup man/closer. If a starter is needed I would use Etherton, a pitcher whose ceiling is probably swing man/weak 5th starter.

My question is what spin will O' Brien have on this trade? Was it that he is giving up on the rest of the sesaon (Wild Card), and continuing to build towards the future, or was it like the previous Philly trade where he said they weren't going to trade Jones but Philadelphia made them an over-whelming offer?

Is this one of those over-wheming offers?

Turn Off Ads?