Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Lidle traded

Re: Lidle traded

Nothing to be excited about, but also nothing to be upset about. Lidle had no present, and no future, with the Reds organization. He's done little this season to distinguish himself as someone worthy of significant trade value, and he's scheduled to walk at the end of the year. The return might be minimal, it might be more of the low minors manner of ultra longshots, but there is at least a glimmer of hope that an arm like Wilson can eventually be of some service at this level in the future.

Anyone can trade fringe MLB veterans for low minors afterthoughts. This doesn't hurt us but it's not the type of hard decision trades we needed to be making at the deadline(s).

P.S.: It is uncanny how the very people who loved DanO's acquisition of Lidle, are now equally excited about jettisoning him, and about the return landed for him. That's a prolonged honeymoon period in effect. What DanO needs is to focus on moving one of the high salary burdens, or "sacred cow" types in an effort to acquire MLB ready players in return, so we can start to rebuild the MLB pitching staff in earnest. Everything done until that is just spinning your wheels: What we need is a Bichette for reitsma deal right now, not another spree of "FAs to be for minor leaguers who never were" type trades.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Do minor leaguers still have to pass through waivers to be traded?

The PTBNL may be someone who didn't pass through waivers and will be coming over in the offseason.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Why didn't the Reds get Gavin Floyd for Lidle, I hate this team :mad: :mad:

FWIW, getting any lefty in the system is good. Sounds like Wilson will should make a good lefty reliever prospect.

Reds won't need to make a roster move. Riedling's return fills Lidle's slot. Hancock to the rotation, Riedling back in the pen.

O'Brien signed Lidle as his one off-season addition to the rotation. He was supposed to be an innings eater. He did ok for awhile but ultimately did poorly. Now O'Brien has converted him to two fair youngsters and cash or a PTBL.

I don't look at this series of moves as a great O'Brien success story.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy

P.S.: It is uncanny how the very people who loved DanO's acquisition of Lidle, are now equally excited about jettisoning him, and about the return landed for him.
    I know I was one of the first calling for DanO to go after Cory Lidle. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by knuckler
    Good analysis, Doc.

Now, who slots into Lidle's old spot:

Acevedo back into the rotation to see if he just needed a rest?
    Hudson up from AAA to see if he's really learned to throw strikes?
    Rose up from AA to see if he's real -- requiring adding him to the roster?
    Hancock back to a starting role, auditioning for 2005?
    Etherton up from AAA, including adding him to the 40-man?

The thing I like is whoever goes into Lidle's slot gets some exposure in August instead of just September, when rosters are filled with AAA callups and most of the competition is playing out the string. The wheels continue to turn...
    At his point Rose and Etherton are bullpen fodder at best since they are both in their late 20's and have a series of arm injuries. Of course the same could be said of Hudson but he has the kind of stuff that Roase and Etherton just wish for.

Leave Acevedo in the pen, he might have a future there. Bring up Hudson because he is out of options after this year so they need to give him 6 weeks to find out about him. Leaving him in AAA the rest of the year won't do anything because he is going to have to get out ML hitters next year.

FWIW the lakewood park is a pitchers park - 916 - 1000

Lidle was our "prize" offseason acquisition.

The proverbial "feather" in DanO's cap.

if the goal was to convert guys that were pitching well but had no Reds future into prospects, then the Lidle deal was not at all like the Reitsma deal. Corey Lidle had much more value in June.

Lefty pitcher is the biggest organization need, and here's a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

What do those numbers mean, woy. Sorry, hate to sound stupid, just want to be educated.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    iLefty pitcher is the biggest organization need, and here's a guy.
    Actually it is just pitcher. The Reds need arms.

There SP sucks and their pen is in shambles and they would love to trade Graves.

Maybe Gabe White could be the closer?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    What do those numbers mean, woy. Sorry, hate to sound stupid, just want to be educated.
    Plays as a moderate pitchers park. 8.5% less runs scored there.

Tell me I'm Cool

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That doesn't affect his K/BB ratio though.

Maybe Wade bought the "naked pictures" from Romano?

Personally I would rather Hudson cut his teeth in the bullpen for the rest of this year and into next. I would like to see him do it at the major league level starting very soon. This season is over so don't overwork Hudson, he actually might have a decent future either as a starter or more likely a setup man/closer. If a starter is needed I would use Etherton, a pitcher whose ceiling is probably swing man/weak 5th starter.

Turn Off Ads?