Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lidle traded

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Lidle traded

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I feel about this trade the way that I did about the Jones for "who" and "what" trade at the deadline: never trade major leaguers for A-ballers unless they're absolute blue-chip prospects (these two are crapola). Otherwise, all you're doing is unloading salary and undercutting your major league roster for several starts. So the Reds saved $500,000; that's the extent of this trade. Great.
    The Astros got an A baller, non stud prospect for Larry Anderson some years back. He turned out OK.

If you consider Machado and Hancock as "who" and "what" you need to bone up on your information about other team's propsects. They were certainly well known to those fans that follow the minor leagues.

And id you think that guys like Jones and Lidle (FA's to be who we literally rescued from the scrap heap) will bring blue chip propsects, then thing again. People said the same thing last year about Harang, and he's doing pretty good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This move theoretically allows you to offer Paul Wilson 4.5M instead of 4M on a contract because you saved about 500K by dealing Lidle to PHI.

Or Matt Clement 10M instead of 9.5M

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quotes from the Phillies.com story

"With Cory, you have a guy who has command of four pitches and the key for him is keeping the ball down," Jones said. "When Cory's on, he's a poor man's Greg Maddux. Cory's key in Cincinnati was keeping the ball down, and that should help us here [at Citizens Bank Park]."
    "We've added a veteran starting pitcher and it's something we tried to do previously," Wade said. "Lidle is someone who can throw four or five different pitches and he keeps the ball down low in the strike zone. He's a pitcher who throws a lot of innings and get us deep into games. He's thrown at least five innings every time this year."
    From the CincyReds.com story

"In talking internally with our baseball and field staff, we had the feeling that it was unlikely that Cory Lidle was going to sign with us next season," said Cincinnati general manager Dan O'Brien, citing the team's policy not to negotiate contracts during the season.

"Partially, it was an internal evaluation by our baseball operation and field staff," O'Brien added. "Cory's agent called and I explained our policy about not talking about contracts during the season. He was respectful of that policy, but shared items that led us to believe it was unlikely that Cory would sign with us."

Right-hander Josh Hancock will serve as Lidle's replacement in the Reds' starting rotation. The 26-year-old Hancock is 2-1 this season with a 8.49 ERA.

"One thing that this allows us to do is move Josh Hancock into the rotation," said O'Brien. "He's been in our bullpen because we did not have a place for him in our rotation. Talking with Dave Miley and Don Gullett, they're both excited to give Josh a chance and see what he has."

An injury to Philadelphia starter Kevin Millwood, who was placed on the 15-day DL with acute tendinitis in his right elbow, necessitated the deal for the Phillies.

"With the injury to Kevin Millwood, the Phillies were agressively pursuing [Lidle]," said O'Brien. "We were pleased to add talented players with bright futures."

Time is the Revelator.

...And the fact that Cory sucks. Good job DanO and Thank you.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

O'Brien on the two newest Reds

Moran, a 21-year-old center fielder, was Philadelphia's fourth-round pick in the 2003 First-Year Player Draft. Last season, he led the New York-Penn League with 27 stolen bases for Batavia. He entered this season as the 15th-best prospect in the Phillies organization and has amassed 39 stolen bases with Class A Lakewood of the South Atlantic League.

O'Brien assessed Moran saying, "He's a true center fielder and a speed player. He probably has more speed than anyone in our organization right now. He's a tools player, but he also has good baseball skills."

The 22-year-old Wilson, also a member of Philadelphia's minor league squad at Lakewood, was a 13th-round pick in 2003 and is 4-7 with a 3.64 ERA in 19 starts and five relief appearances this season.

"He has a good arm," O'Brien said. "He's had success in the Phillies' organization and we project him as a starter in the future."

Moran and Wilson both will be assigned to Class A Dayton.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Well you know the season stinks when a Lidle traded for nothing thread has over 100 replies in less than 2 hours.
    Glad to see such a deep assessment of the trade return. Have you ever heard or seen either one of these guys? (No and neither have I) On paper they at least look a little interesting, but I digress.

So this means Lidle cleared waivers all the way to the Phillies. That gives you an assessment of his curent trade value.

Stomry -- How do you propose the Reds unload KGJ and Graves?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

What's it say about your GM when you're trying to win by trading for pieces of the Cinci pitching staff?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

It says that Lidle sucks and his leaving even for nada is addition by subtraction.

We did not just trade Greg Maddux here.................has that point not been brought out yet?

This is Tim Pugh/Kevin Jarvis type. Big deal.

A few thoughts

When I heard that Lidle was traded, I figured it was for a few prospects. I just didn't expect them to all be low A players. I figured we'd get a double A in there.

If what Wade is saying is true .... Just what was O'Brien thinking before the deadline that he didn't want to trade Lidle? Do you think Wade upped his ante from the trading deadline offer since Millwood went to the DL?

Do you think it's a PTBNL or Cash? Anyone know of any AA'ers on the Philly's 40?

This trade sure makes the Jones trade look very big on the Reds behalf, if there isn't a PTBNL who is further up on the evolution chain.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If one player out of the Jones and Lidle deals makes the major leagues, these deals will be a success.

The Reds saved alittle money and got some young players who might be a factor in two or three years. But more importantly, the Reds got something for two players who weren't probably in the Reds plans for the 2005 season.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Someone mentioned the deal passing all the way to Philadelphia.

To give you an idea of teams who passed on Lidle.

San Diego, 1GB
    New York Mets(who admittedly got their pitchers allready)
    LA Dodgers..
    The last one really strikes me, if there is one team that has a absolute need for an emergency starter to last 3 maybe 4 weeks it's the Dodgers and they passed.

What the Reds got back from Philly may not be much, but realize Philly is only making this move to make it look like they're trying.
    This move does NOTHING for Philly.

The big thing for me is...NO MORE CORY LIDLE.

I hope we've learned how useless it is to throw money at guys like this.

Cory Lidle was a waste and I think the Reds are lucky that they were able to save what little money they could on that stinker.

I won't miss him in the least, and if either of these players they got in return show up in the bigs...Well then we've got a nice layer of icing on this cake.

It would be fun to see Kenny Lewis and Javon Moran in a foot race, I'll tel you what.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    The Astros got an A baller, non stud prospect for Larry Anderson some years back. He turned out OK.

If you consider Machado and Hancock as "who" and "what" you need to bone up on your information about other team's propsects. They were certainly well known to those fans that follow the minor leagues.
    Jeff Bagwell was traded when he was in AA. I recall seeing him in New Britain that year and thinking, whoa, a little more muscle and those balls will be gone. IIRC he led the AA's in hitting that year and was named best third sacker in all of AA too

maybe if you'd boned up on your Bagwell a little...

Does it really make sense that the Reds get major league ready Josh Hancock and AAA ready Anderson Mercado for 36 year old relief pitcher Todd Jones and single A outfielder Brad Correll, and then 9 days later the Reds only get low A pitcher Joe Wilson and low A outfielder Jacon Moran and cash for 32 year old starting pitcher Cory Lidle from the same organization?

The more I think about this, the more I think we are going to get someone off the 40 from the Phils.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Glad to see such a deep assessment of the trade return.
    Yeah like every other post on this board has been deep and insightful. Including all of yours.

I've spent tens of thousands of dollars going to games the past few seasons as this team has been "rebuilding". Now we get two more A players. Oh boy. Maybe now I can spend thousands more waiting for these guys to pan out.

Sorry (well not really) if my level of excitment over this trade isn't up to your standards.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?