Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lidle traded

Re: Lidle traded

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    What do those numbers mean, woy. Sorry, hate to sound stupid, just want to be educated.
    1000 is the mean with 916 being below the mean - Hence pitching friendly.

Makes your hitters look worse and pitchers better, on the surface, then there are the spilts that break it down even more.

That league has 16 different parks 1/2 are hitters 1/2 pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by airalex
    That doesn't affect his K/BB ratio though.
    it doesn't.

Hard to say what effect it has without further investigation.

GABP plays as a moderate pitchers park. It also plays as a slight HR park. One would think it is a combo of the high infield grass and the short porch in right.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Good analysis Doc.

Two things worth noting.

Moran was the Phils 5th round pick last season. Wilson was the 13th round pick.

So it's important to remember that both are in their first season post rookie ball. And putting up respectable, if not great numbers.

This, for a pitcher who was arguably one of the worst starters in the NL season, is a decent return.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    Lefty pitcher is the biggest organization need, and here's a guy.
    Does that mean you like this trade? And if so, why? Because the Reds need lefties or because you think this particular lefty has a future?

I was never a fan of Lidle and am so not sad to see him go - but the return seems to me to be minor league fodder, kinda a way to fill up minor league rosters and nothing else. Of course I am only basing that on the numbers I see from them, but neither Wilson (23 and in low A) nor Moran (no power, no walks, steals bases at 72% clip) impresses me much intially.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Actually it is just pitcher
    actually, it's not

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    1000 is the mean with 916 being below the mean - Hence pitching friendly.

Makes your hitters look worse and pitchers better, on the surface, then there are the spilts that break it down even more.

That league has 16 different parks 1/2 are hitters 1/2 pitchers.
    Thanks westofyou. I was thinking it was something like that but wanted to be sure. Can you get splits from Single A teams on the internet? If so, where?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Perhaps the Lidle experience didn't just teach a few Zoners a lesson, but also our GM. Gotta find that silver lining somewhere, I guess.

I would imagine Javier Valentin is very upset by this news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy
    Anyone can trade fringe MLB veterans for low minors afterthoughts. This doesn't hurt us but it's not the type of hard decision trades we needed to be making at the deadline(s) .
    Except for Kazmir, that's the only kind of prospect ANYBODY was exchanging at the deadline. You take what you can get. Remember that Edwin Encarnacion was considered a low minors afterthought in the trade of fringe MLB veterans Rob Bell-for-Ruben Mateo. With young pitchers especially there's a strong case to be made for finding quality through quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Shoot, Chip, we could have shipped 'em together. Valentin could've challenged Lieberthal. Another opportunity missed to rid our roster of garbage.

I agree with both Stormy and princeton.

If the plan all along was turn Lidle into prospects, we waited much too long.
    I'm not going to cry over losing Lidle, but this trade really doesn't move us
    forward at all.. In other words, another :zzz: move

If DanO was willing to lose his "veteran leadership" in the rotation, why not
    trade Wilson and keep Lidle around as the inning eater? Maybe he thinks Wilson
    is a keepr, or he'll get more for Wilson in August.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    See, that makes this trade even better!

Maybe you can't blame DanO for this. Perhaps the plan was to try and get Lidle to fall down to where Texas could trade for him and the Phillies jumped in and claimed him and this deal was worked out. Just a thought.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Maybe you can't blame DanO for this. Perhaps the plan was to try and get Lidle to fall down to where Texas could trade for him and the Phillies jumped in and claimed him and this deal was worked out. Just a thought.

If everyone in the Reds front office was given excuses and the benefit of the doubt on every move, we'd get absolutely no where. Until I see DanO do something drastic (like clear payroll by parting with Graves, Casey, Griffey) or get a very high grade prospect (like a Claussen) in trade, I'm going to keep considering him a bad GM for this franchise.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knuckler
    Except for Kazmir, that's the only kind of prospect ANYBODY was exchanging at the deadline. You take what you can get. Remember that Edwin Encarnacion was considered a low minors afterthought in the trade of fringe MLB veterans Rob Bell-for-Ruben Mateo. With young pitchers especially there's a strong case to be made for finding quality through quantity.
    Excellent post knuckler.

Turn Off Ads?