Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lidle traded

Re: Lidle traded

It was a trade of, for sure, nothing for maybe, possibly, keep your fingers and toes crossed, rub your lucky rabbit's foot, something. So essentially, we went from 0% future help in Lidle to .001% chance of help from either of these prospects. Not exactly a Jefferson's "moving on up" move, is it?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    with this trade, the Reds went from insisting on Hancock-types (major league "ready") 10 days ago to accepting guys that are a long way off

Lidle has pitcher poorly all season. We had to get what we could. These may not be top ceiling propsects, but the more propsects you have, the better chance that some will turn out OK.

There are a number of Reds who have turned out OK, but where not top ceiling propsects. Graves was not the centerpiece of the Smiley trade, Damien Jackson was.

To sugggest that the OF we got, at this stage of his career, is a "Romano clone" is unfair. If he keeps developing each year, he may well turn out to be a fine OF in the majors. The odds are stacked against every minor leaguer, so quanity of propsects is useful. Anyone who really thinks DanO should have held out for Floyd is unrealistic.

look at it this way. lidle's good performance in Colorado probably is responsible for this trade.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    This trade deadline, isn't it funny that the only two guys O'Brien traded were the two pitchers he acquired himself earlier in the year, Jones and Lidle?
    Gabe White better keep his suitcase packed.
    /r/reds

Of the 10-20 transactions that OB supervises in the next several years, I am willing to predict that this will be in the bottom quarter of moves relative to their importance. The Reds lost a veteran soft-tossing RHP with a 5+ ERA who was not going to be back next season. To me, there's a case to be made that cutting Lidle (and Van Poppel, for that matter) immediately with the pure motivation of opening up auditioning roster spots for Hudson, Etherton, Belisle, Rose, etc. is a worthy concept. Getting a couple of prospects, no matter their 'ceilings', is even better.

Well you know the season stinks when a Lidle traded for nothing thread has over 100 replies in less than 2 hours.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Well you know the season stinks when a Lidle traded for nothing thread has over 100 replies in less than 2 hours.
    Hell, if DanO traded a case of Skyline for some cheese steak sandwiches the thread would have over 100 replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

While I find it funny that O'Brien keeps cutting loose the few guys he just signed in his own "administration," I do think this move was wise in light of Lidle's poor performance.

The Reds need "cap space." They must sign real pitchers who cost money. At this stage, I would have given Lidle away to save the remainder of his salary. The money can and hopefully will be put to use in the off-season. Whatever these youngsters provide is an added plus.

The real test of O'Brien will be this off-season. He better do something.

I expect to see a lot more August ABs for Vanderwal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    I expect to see a lot more August ABs for Vanderwal.
    Why do you say that?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Let me just make sure we got it right....
    Acevedo was brought to the bullpen, and the Reds are left with a four man rotation.
    Lidle was traded, and the Reds were left with a three man rotation.

What's next? Danny Graves a starter? Oh right, that's been done, and failed.

In all seriousness, what's gonna be?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

BA's prospect handbook had the Phils system ranked 21st.

We now have their:
    11th ranked-Anderson Machado
    18th ranked-Josh Hancock
    30th ranked-Joe Wilson
    15th ranked-Javon Moran

Reds were ranked 26th overall.

Reds 11th-Miguel Perez
    Reds 18th-Thomas Pauly
    Reds15th-Rainer Feliz
    Reds 30th-Kenny Lewis
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Hell, if DanO traded a case of Skyline for some cheese steak sandwiches the thread would have over 100 replies.
    I'd do that deal!! Now if it was some Goldstar, I might think about that first...

I really don't think this was a bad move, your getting something for basically nothing. Sure these guys might not ever play a single game here in the Queen City, but then again you never know. I do agree Dan's moves have been kinda boring, but what do you expect? There is only 1 leather pants, and like has been stated before, I think most of us are still going thru Bowden withdrawl...

What is really humorous is all the hue and cry for DanO to do something, and the moment he does it, the hue and cry is:Why didn't he do something ELSE?

I'm not sure why we keep putting these "dealines" on OB to produce or else. It took Jim Bowden 10+ years to make this mess and we can't even give OB ten months to fix it.

Do you want to know WHY OB doesn't trade Casey, Graves, or Junior?

1) NO team in baseball is going to take on Danny Graves. Even as much money as Steinbrenner wasts, I bet he refuses to waste money on Danny Graves.

2) NO team is willing to take on Junior's contract given his health history. (Beside the fact that every time Junior is mentioned in a trade rumor, half od RedsZone goes into a rant)

3) The jury is still out on Casey. Is this the real Casey or a career year?

I know OB is supposed to be a salesman, but there are just some cars that a used car salesman can't sell.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Don't forget we had Reggie Taylor, and he was a first rounder!!!

:mhcky21:

Why do you say that?
    Because DanO signed him.

Turn Off Ads?