Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Sully to Chi Sox with $$$ For PTBNL

Originally posted by RedsBaron
    I'm surprised by Sean's quote. Sullivan was apparently well liked by his teammates, and, if you are a major league player, you want to win this season, not later. The moves the Reds have made in the last few weeks may put a better team on the field in 2005 or 2006, but Sean Casey may not be here by then-he wants to win now. The problem was that the team the Reds had at the start of 2003 would never win a title.
    With any luck, Sean actually would be the next one to go. And he is one that would have to get dealt with cash.

The Cubs traded for Tony womack so if that is the case, I guarantee there are teams out there dumb enough to trade for Sean Casey.

Now that we are done with Arizona, how about Sean Casey and cash to pay him the rest of this year to ARI in exchange for Lyle Overbay and John Patterson or Andrew Good or Mike Gosling. Sean can just stay here rather than flying home.

And I would like to see us bring Sully back next year as a FA along with Mercker and maybe even Guillen.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Here's what Baseball Prospectus has said about him. I don't have their 2003 comment, but here's their old comments from previous years:

Keep in mind that these comments are before he hit his wall in Triple-A. He seems like the type of hitter who needs to hit for a good batting average to be productive. Doesn't walk enough for my taste.

---

Hummel, a second-round pick in 2000, is a comparable player to Ray Durham but without Durham's excellent speed. A shortstop at Old Dominion, he's now a so-so second baseman who some people think will eventually move to third base. That would cloud his career prospects in this organization; leaving him at second base would give the Sox options if they can't or won't re-sign Durham at the end of the 2002 season.

A second-round pick in the 2000 draft, Old Dominion star Tim Hummel was considered by Baseball America to be one of the best pure hitters coming out of college. He’s a big guy who will probably move to third base, but the Sox are willing play him at shortstop until he proves he can’t handle it. Hummel is already one of the better players in a weak field of hitting prospects, but he’s more than a year away from entering the major-league picture.
    Stick to your guns.

This is from Top Prospect Alert's 2002 top 10 list for the white sox

3) Tim Hummel, 2B, 23yo (OBA: 1.1, LWP: 0.1, SPD: 1.1, EYE: 1.5)

The White Sox 2nd round pick in 2002, ...
    Except that he was drafted in 2000 ...
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Originally posted by JaxRed
    The cash involved is most probably just Sullivan's salary for the rest of the year.
    Or less, perhaps..

It could mean that the White Sox were willing to pay 1/2 of Sully's prorated salary, for instance.

EDIT: I responded before reading the entire thread.. it was just a guess.. wasn't trying to be a smart aleck, Jax...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

They added cash to the deal to get this Hummel guy?

Am I just hung over, or did the Devil Front Office Incarnate actually add cash to a deal to get a needed 3B?

I dunno.....Maybe the Sox slipped Lindner a few extra bills under the table.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Originally posted by buckeyenut
    With any luck, Sean actually would be the next one to go. And he is one that would have to get dealt with cash.

Casey's second half 2003

260/336/317

Who would want him?

The only good thing I can think of about Casey's second half is that it makes the odds of me having to run around the GAB naked while singing "Stand By Your Man" very tiny (per a pre-season bet some of you might remember)

Code:
    Top Ten RARP, by League

International League
     Player                Team           League         Pos   Out   PA     EQA    EQR  RARP MjEQA
     Utley, Chase          Scranton/Wilke AAA Internatio 2B    296. 483.  0.328   91.1  49.7 0.279
     Seguignol, Fernando   Columbus Clipp AAA Internatio Oth   241. 396.  0.342   82.1  48.5 0.291
     Larson, Brandon       Louisville Bat AAA Internatio 3B    191. 312.  0.344   66.5  39.6 0.293
     Cust, Jack            Ottawa Lynx    AAA Internatio OF    240. 413.  0.325   72.2  37.2 0.277
     Estrada, Johnny       Richmond Brave AAA Internatio C     237. 392.  0.319   68.3  36.3 0.272
     Abad, Andy            Pawtucket Red  AAA Internatio 1B    320. 510.  0.303   81.1  34.8 0.258
     Gload, Ross           Charlotte Knig AAA Internatio 1B    319. 481.  0.299   78.3  31.9 0.255
     Scutaro, Marcos       Norfolk Tides  AAA Internatio 3B    174. 283.  0.333   55.5  31.4 0.283
     Hummel, Tim           Charlotte Knig AAA Internatio 3B    335. 512.  0.292   76.9  31.3 0.248
     Collier, Lou          Pawtucket Red  AAA Internatio OF    254. 393.  0.307   66.6  30.7 0.262
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Originally posted by buckeyenut
    The Cubs traded for Tony womack so if that is the case, I guarantee there are teams out there dumb enough to trade for Sean Casey.
    While I agree that trading for Womack was not a good idea, keep in mind that the Cubs got him at the prorated minimum salary. Arizona ate his contract when they let him go. Colorado picked him up pretty much so they could deal him to a dumb team like Chicago and get a fringe prospect for free.
    Stick to your guns.

What is RARP?

Originally posted by cincinnati chili

Did anyone catch Sean Casey's quote: "for what Scott Sullivan brought, he was cheap. ... It's a sad day here for a lot of guys."

I don't agree with this at all.
    I think Casey was probably referring to Sully over the last 4-5 years, not necessarily this year.

Sully has been our most valuable pitcher ever over that time span by a long shot. Yes, he's been hurt this year, but he's been a dream middle reliever. I think Casey was paying tribute towards that.. And I agree with Casey, Sully was cheap for what he brought to the table.

That's one problem with trades like this.. This isn't a computer game.. you are going to have a demoralized club house.. Guys like Casey who want to win aren't going to be happy with moves like this.. And not to mention, if you strip a team down to AAA players and non-movable contracts, you're going to have a tough time attracting free agents/nontenders/and all but the worse retreads...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Since this guy doens't exactly look like Scott Rolen on paper, are you going to ***** and moan when he puts up Boone-like numbers?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Originally posted by Redny
    What is RARP?
    Runs Above Replacement Player

Originally posted by REDREAD
    Guys like Casey who want to win aren't going to be happy with moves like this..

If Casey wants to win, he needs to improve his own game first, don't you think?

Originally posted by creek14
    Since this guy doens't exactly look like Scott Rolen on paper, are you going to ***** and moan when he puts up Boone-like numbers?
    If he can take a walk, and not swing at pitches at eye level, late in the game on the very first pitch...Well, then I guess he never will put up Boone like numbers.

I loved the quote from one of those scouting referrences....Something to the effect of "He's not a tools guy"

Color me sold.

For now.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Originally posted by creek14
    IMO, this guy isn't going to put up Boone numbers. Doesn't look like he has Boone's power or speed.
    Oh well, it looks like he can field at least, unlike Larson/Branyan.

Bye, bye Larson.. I wish you the best, I think your career is officially over now though.

Turn Off Ads?