Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sully to Chi Sox with $$$ For PTBNL

I'll bet we get Konerko back to play 3rd for the "future."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by JaxRed
    I also wonder if they are going to address the offense. Do White Sox have an alternative to Crede?
    Valentin and Graffanino have played 3rd the last couple of years. Of course Konerko has played there also, but not since 2000. I think Crede has been injured {but not DL injured} lately.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Originally posted by guernsey
    I'll bet it's no more than the buyout on his option for '04, which has already been declined.
    That would be a $250,000 buyout.

Originally posted by Oxilon
    Yeah, Scott will definitely be missed.

Sad to see him go.
    Agreed and Agreed.

We knew it was coming, but it's still sad to see him go.

Fans on a Sox board are guessing it could be Borchard. That seems unlikely but he has struggled not just in Chicago this year but also in AAA. Still I am surprised their fans are so quick to give up on him.

Originally posted by SYCMiniBus
    sticking with the LHP pitcher theme ...
    Since the departure of Bowden, the Reds have traded for 5 LHP and 4 RHP so far.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar
    There goes the heart and soul of our magnificent bullpen. No matter how any pitcher in the 'pen is doing they can always look to Sully for an example of the quintessential reliever. Leading the league in relief innings pitched for 4 straight seasons, Scott was always ready, consistent, and full of fire. Don't expect the 'pen to do much for the rest of this season...it just lost its heart. Everyone knew he was going, but I don't think we realize how important he is to our bullpen as a whole. Good luck Sully! We'll miss you!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I'll miss Sully too.

It's a shame Haynes and Graves have so damaged their value that they are untradeable. Those are the salaries to dump.

Originally posted by Bill
    Fans on a Sox board are guessing it could be Borchard. That seems unlikely but he has struggled not just in Chicago this year but also in AAA. Still I am surprised their fans are so quick to give up on him.
    I hope not. The sporting news says Borchard is the #6 prospect in baseball but he's had a horrid year at AAA.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/cgi-b...layer=borchard

6. Joe Borchard, OF, White Sox

Birthdate: 11/25/78. Borchard got a cup of coffee with the White Sox early, but he has otherwise had a bad season. He's still striking out too much, and his power numbers have been down at Class AAA.

I want pitching.

Exactly why we want Borchard?

If we got Borchard, it'd mean we would either trade Casey and move Dunn to first or trade Griffey and move Kearns to center.

Hm.....

We don't need OF'ers.

The Reds were looking for a 3rd baseman right before they called up Freel.

The Reds stated they wanted young pitchers.

The Reds paid cash with Sullivan.

I'm expecting a good player in this trade for a position of need.

I would not worry about Borchard. It was just their hunch. Another poster with an "inside source" said it was a player whom is on the 40 and has been up with the Sox but not now which would suggest Rauch, Borchard, Ginter, Sanders or Stewart. If it is Ginter the Reds will have nasty boys II along with Valentine and Wagner.

From the Chicago Trib (so Allen still saves ~ 300k):

Sullivan adds righty relief
    Williams moves to fix pen weakness

By Teddy Greenstein
    Tribune staff reporter

August 21, 2003, 11:58 PM CDT

The White Sox addressed their final glaring weakness Thursday night when they agreed to a deal with Cincinnati for reliever Scott Sullivan.

Sullivan figures to provide the Sox with the veteran right-hander they needed after losing Billy Koch to right elbow inflammation.

General manager Ken Williams said that even if Koch hadn't gone on the disabled list, the Sox would have made the deal.

"We've had an issue from the right side of the bullpen since before the trading deadline," Williams said.

"We thought we were close to a couple of things before the deadline and obviously they didn't materialize. So we were fortunate to acquire someone we think can certainly help in a grand fashion."

The Sox, who will give up a minor-league player to be named, have to pay only half of Sullivan's remaining salary of $596,000.

Sullivan, 32, went 6-0 with a 3.62 ERA in 50 appearances for the Reds. In 17 games since June 16, he has allowed just one run on 10 hits over 172/3 innings.

"He gives you a little different look, a little different angle," Williams said. "He's not a power guy. He's a sinker/slider guy who can help keep hitters off balance. He has proven to be a competitor who can get the job done."

The 6-foot-3-inch, 210-pound Sullivan leads all major-league relievers in innings pitched since 1997.

The Sox initiated the deal by claiming Sullivan off waivers. At that point, the Reds could have pulled him back or negotiated a trade.

Right-hander Jon Adkins was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte to make room for Sullivan.
    Copyright © 2003, The Chicago Tribune

Originally posted by Bill

Right-hander Jon Adkins was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte to make room for Sullivan.
    Copyright © 2003, The Chicago Tribune
    I'm sorry to see Jon Adkins sent back to the minors. He is a graduate of my alma mater, Wayne [WV] High School, the son and nephew of some of my former teachers, and nephew of a guy I played baseball with. Jon has a cousin, Tim, who is also a Wayne High product and who is a minor league pitcher. I hope Jon and Tim both keep pursuing their major league dreams.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I don't really expect it to happen, but one thing I like about some of the Reds recent trades is that they have been trading away guys such as Sullivan and Guillen who will be free agents next year. In theory, the Reds, out of contention, can acquire young talent for guys like Sullivan and Guillen and still have a shot at reacquiring them as free agents after the 2003 season, which would be a case of eating your cake and having it too.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

From the Post:

The player to be named will be Tim Hummel, a third baseman for the White Sox's Class AAA Charlotte affiliate, according to two industry sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity. One source said the cash was equal to roughly half Sullivan's remaining salary, a prorated share of $2.8 million.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Turn Off Ads?