Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Sully to Chi Sox with $$$ For PTBNL

The Post reports the PTBNL is 24-year-old 3B Tim Hummel. His stats at AAA Charlotte look decent, though not as flashy as (ahem) Brandon Larson. However, he has had reasonable plate discipline through his career and is several years younger than Larson. BA listed him as the Sox' #6 prospect in 2002 but he dropped off their top 10 list for 2003.

Sounds like a potential stopgap at 3B until Encarnacion is ready, and the beginnings of a competition among Branyan, Larson, and Encarnacio for the starting job next spring.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Code:
        CHARLOTTE KNIGHTS    Individual Statistics Thru Games of: 8/21/03      W-L Record:  68- 65
                                                                                            GI             ---GAMES BY POSITION---
      BATTERS               AVG   G  AB   R   H  TB 2B 3B HR RBI SH SF HP  BB IB  SO  SB CS DP   SLG   OBP  1B  2B  3B  SS  OF   C  E
      Hummel, Tim          .284 126 468  72 133 209 25  3 15  78 10  4  4  45  2  82   9  3 10  .447  .349   0   6  97  30   0   0 13
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

From Team One Baseball:

2/21/2003 1:56:41 PM - 2003 Scouting Report
    This guy needs some pub. Hummel played 2002 at Charlotte and hit .260 with 33 doubles and a .350 OBP while playing 4 positions and committing just 12 errors during the year. He has a steady if not unspectacular game and he’ll be a major league fixture if only because of his versatility- and I actually think his ceiling is a lot higher than just as a role player. Hummel finished 2002 by logging a .420 OBP in 110 AFL at bats.
    A wiry player with a strong base, Hummel doesn’t look all that imposing from a distance but he’s actually a physical player with good baseball actions.

At the plate, he’s got a balanced stance with some crouch and a quiet start. His right swing is very direct and compact enough to yank inside fastballs. Despite his frame and compact swing, Hummel hasn’t run into much power but he has more than enough juice to knock pitches to the gaps. With some more bat extension, he might be able to launch with more frequency.

Hummel’s pitch recognition and zone management skills are improving and I really like the way he takes pitches- tracking them all the way into the catcher’s glove. I could see him in the 2-hole eventually.

Defensively, Hummel is quite valuable. He plays all the infield positions and I’m sure he’d be just fine in left if needed. Most of his reps have been at short but long term, he’ll probably see most of his innings at second or third.

Hummel has a chance this Spring. He’ll be 24 for the entire year.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Like this pickup, gives up decent options at 3rd and SS. It also makes sense now that there was a hold up in obtaining a player, and Sullivan said front office delayed the trade until his child was born.

Now let's do the right thing and bring up Almanzar.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Question: If it's Hummell, why would they bother with the player-to-be-named-later nonsense? Is he on the DL?

I figured that if it's a player to be named that it's either a) one from a list of players, b) a player who signed out of high school or college less than a year ago, c) a guy who's injured.

If it is Hummell, it's about the level of guy I'd expect to get from Sullivan. Hummell is probably going to be a non-impact major league hitter, as he's spent two years at triple a without breaking a .350 on base percentage. On the other hand, he's started to hit homers for the first time this year. So he has a chance to be a Jay Bell type of impact middle infielder. (Homers and a lot of sacrifice bunts).

Did anyone catch Sean Casey's quote: "for what Scott Sullivan brought, he was cheap. ... It's a sad day here for a lot of guys."

I don't agree with this at all.
    Stick to your guns.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Well, those of you who thought the Reds would or should go after Joe Randa... little did you know. Not a bad pickup to get this guy instead of the actual Joe Randa, though.

This is from Top Prospect Alert's 2002 top 10 list for the white sox

3) Tim Hummel, 2B, 23yo (OBA: 1.1, LWP: 0.1, SPD: 1.1, EYE: 1.5)

The White Sox 2nd round pick in 2002, isn’t a "tools" favorite. He has little power, tends to be a step slow defensively and doesn’t have a canon for an arm. But he is the type of player that has the makeup to ensure success at the next level. He makes great contact and has a compact swing that will provide him gap power. He doesn’t have blazing speed, but his baseball instincts should allow him to steal 15 bases a year while hitting a ton of triples. His greatest skill is tremendous plate discipline that should make him a favorite of the OBA fans. Hummel is the type of ballplayer that winning organizations always seem to have. He should start the season at AAA, but I expect him to win a utility IF spot before the year is up. Being a little slow for SS and not possessing the arm for 3B, 2B looks like his eventual position and could force a Ray Durham trade as early as 2003. At his peak he will be an above average major league middle infielder, batting around .290 with a ton of doubles and triples and double digit homeruns.

So they dont think that he will be able to play 3b/SS and will have to be a 2b....

On the list, they had Joe Crede as the 4th best in the sox organization....

Paper said they were trying to have him clear waivers. If he clears, Reds get him immediately, if he doesn't they wait till later.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

TexasTea

sorry for sounding like an idiot but...

hasn't the trade deadline come and gone???

Looks like having a baby is the most sure fire way to be dealt.

Williamson was moved to the Red Sox just a few days after his son was born.

Now Sullivan gets shipped to the south side of Chicago just a few days after his daughter was born.

Any of the remaining players set to become parents in the next few weeks?

Here is what the site--prospect report.com has to say about Hummel from a few days ago

4. TIM HUMMEL (3B) - DOB: 11/18/78 - ETA: 2004
    (Triple A - 388 AB, .294/.362/.464) Hummel has bounced back from a mediocre 2002 with a very good performance in AAA-Charlotte. He's played second base and shortstop, but has spent the majority of his time at third base. There's no reason to think he couldn't put up Ty Wigginton-like numbers, or very possibly - better.

It would appear that he has enough arm strength after all to play the hot corner...

Originally posted by cincinnati chili
    Did anyone catch Sean Casey's quote: "for what Scott Sullivan brought, he was cheap. ... It's a sad day here for a lot of guys."

I don't agree with this at all.
    I'm surprised by Sean's quote. Sullivan was apparently well liked by his teammates, and, if you are a major league player, you want to win this season, not later. The moves the Reds have made in the last few weeks may put a better team on the field in 2005 or 2006, but Sean Casey may not be here by then-he wants to win now. The problem was that the team the Reds had at the start of 2003 would never win a title.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I was really hoping it would be Rauch or Borchard. I'm not sure I like Hummel in that deal, esp with giving up cash. Hummel seems like the type of guy we could get without having to give up the money. But that is just me. I could be selling the guy short.

Sullivan was a "stand up" kind of guy with a lot of character. He will be missed. Good luck with the Sox, Sully!

Well, it is good to see the Reds get away from going after ballplayers with five-tool potential and acquire players that can play baseball.

Hummell will probably get every chance of winning the 3rd base spot next season. Batting lower in the lineup should help him early on.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?