Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Sully to Chi Sox with $$$ For PTBNL

Originally posted by Raisor
    Casey's second half 2003

260/336/317

Who would want him?

The only good thing I can think of about Casey's second half is that it makes the odds of me having to run around the GAB naked while singing "Stand By Your Man" very tiny (per a pre-season bet some of you might remember)
    Why, Pittsburgh would want him. Don't you read RedsZone? I suppose there is a good side to Casey's performance the second half of the year.

I don't blame Casey for being upset. I like the trade but if it were up to these guys, they would want their old buddies on the team from now till the day they retire no matter if they suck or not. He did take less money to play here but it's not like he just signed that deal either. Perhaps we can get him back after the season. If not, then vaya con Dios, Sully. Thanks for all your hard work and loyalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by Chip R
    I suppose there is a good side to Casey's performance the second half of the year.

I
    I would like to point out that I am a very good singer.

If Casey wants to win, he needs to improve his own game first, don't you think?
    True, but maybe we have to accept that this is what Casey is..
    I don't think he's sandbagging it..

I bet if you polled the Reds clubhouse, none of them consider this a good trade.

In fact, I'm not convinced it's a good trade either.. Isn't this Hummel guy pretty similiar to the generic replacement level guy that people claim can be picked up for free on the waiver wire?
    I can't wait to hear people complain about the guys' lack of power at 3b.

The Reds might've been better off picking up Sully's option, hoping he's healthy next year, and getting a better prospect for him. In essense, they traded Sully when he was close to his bottom value..

But Allen saves 300k in salary, plus the 250k buyout, plus he doesn't have his contract next year... that's all that matters, I suppose.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think ol' Case is gonna gripe about his buddies getting traded no matter what. He's probably the best teammate in all of professional sports. I'll never have a problem with what he says about a trade.

But it doesn't necessarily make him a future GM candidate, either.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Originally posted by cincinnati chili
    Here's what Baseball Prospectus has said about him... Hummel, a second-round pick in 2000, is a comparable player to Ray Durham
    other than having been in the White Sox organization, he doesn't really sound a bit like Ray Durham, does he?

I hope that he puts it together, but it strikes me that the Reds let the Sox, who REALLY needed Sully, get off cheap.

Maybe this squares everything over their D'Angelo Jimenez debacle

Originally posted by REDREAD

I agree he's not sandbagging it.

I bet if you polled the Reds clubhouse, none of them consider this a good trade.

Baseball players are notorious for not knowing what a good trade is.

Gesh, ease up on Sean. Look how many guys he's had to watch leave this team either by trade or injury. He and Larue have to be feeling a little lost out there right now - hmmmm, now who is that over on 3rd tonight?

Like no one here has ever said anything out of frustration. It's just that his thoughts are printed in the paper.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Originally posted by REDREAD

In fact, I'm not convinced it's a good trade either.. Isn't this Hummel guy pretty similiar to the generic replacement level guy that people claim can be picked up for free on the waiver wire?
    I can't wait to hear people complain about the guys' lack of power at 3b.

The Reds might've been better off picking up Sully's option, hoping he's healthy next year, and getting a better prospect for him. In essense, they traded Sully when he was close to his bottom value..

But Allen saves 300k in salary, plus the 250k buyout, plus he doesn't have his contract next year... that's all that matters, I suppose.
    So you automatically know for a fact that he's not going to hit for power?

I thought his power numbers were up at AAA this year?

Heck. I don't care if he's just a doubles hitter.

As long as they don't pay him 7.5 MM to do it. They will have more than enough power to go around in the years to come.

I've read that this guy can flat out pick it. Wouldn't it be nice to have an IF defense made up of guys like Jimenez, and Hummel?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Originally posted by princeton
    I hope that he puts it together, but it strikes me that the Reds let the Sox, who REALLY needed Sully, get off cheap.
    I really share that opinion princeton..

But unfortantely, Sullivan was on Allen's hit list.. The Sox knew that Maddox/Kullman had to dump him, so they could low ball us.

I'm not sure this Hummel guy is an upgrade over Castro..

And I'm puzzled why guys are glad he's a limited tools guy.
    Limited tools = Limited upside.

Just because a guy has tools, doesn't mean he's Curtis Goodwin.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Hummel seems like a "maybe could be", maybe the Reds 3 headed leader were thinking they would get lucky again (like Jimenez)
    I say call him up and give him 3rd for the rest of the year.
    Go Gators!

Originally posted by creek14
    Gesh, ease up on Sean. Look how many guys he's had to watch leave this team either by trade or injury. He and Larue have to be feeling a little lost out there right now - hmmmm, now who is that over on 3rd tonight?

Like no one here has ever said anything out of frustration. It's just that his thoughts are printed in the paper.
    I would have to say that the odds are Casey will be the first one on the team to give the new guy a hug!

Baseball players are notorious for not knowing what a good trade is. [/B]
    And fans are too

I really hope Hummel is the next Bill Meuller, but I'm in wait and see mode here.. Like I said, I'm not convinced he's an upgrade over the 2003 version of Castro.

Originally posted by wheels
    So you automatically know for a fact that he's not going to hit for power?

I thought his power numbers were up at AAA this year?

Heck. I don't care if he's just a doubles hitter.

As long as they don't pay him 7.5 MM to do it. They will have more than enough power to go around in the years to come.

I've read that this guy can flat out pick it. Wouldn't it be nice to have an IF defense made up of guys like Jimenez, and Hummel?
    He appears to me to be a below average 3b.. I'm not sure he's better than Castro at this point.. As far as his defensive prowess, here's what one of those articles said about him:

The White Sox 2nd round pick in 2002, isn’t a "tools" favorite. He has little power, tends to be a step slow defensively and doesn’t have a canon for an arm.
    That carries a lot more weight to me than a flowery article comparing him to Ray Durham.. Let's not forget that magazines love to hype prospects, because fans want hope.. They want to read a magazine that hypes their prospects.

probably right-- the Sox thought that the Reds would blink, and they did.

Hummel could fill a big need -- in the shortterm, nobody can play third, but more importantly over the long-term, we need a guy that can back up a lot of positions and hit in tight situations. It seems unlikely that Larson will ever do the second part, and Brandon can't really play a position, either. So he's not displacing Brandon.

It doesn't look as though Hummel will have a big bat-- but maybe he'll show a timely bat. Combined with positional flexibility, that would make him ideal for the bench. It's worth finding out

I just happen to like Sully a LOT-- because he essentially fills two plus roster spots, I never thought that he was too expensive. Before we went this route-- a lesser prospect that fills a need-- I'd have dangled an extension offer to him.

but the Reds don't have a GM, so that can't be done

Originally posted by KronoRed
    I say call him up and give him 3rd for the rest of the year.
    absolutely. The best way to make a good bench player is to give him a lot of major league exposure at a young age. And the Reds have an open spot

Turn Off Ads?