Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this logo look mean?

Does this logo look mean?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1977191

Associated Press
    TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have given their old bird a makeover.

Team owner Bill Bidwill calls the Cardinals' new logo (bottom) "a tough bird."

The Cardinal head that has served as the team's logo since 1960 -- when the franchise moved from Chicago to St. Louis -- has been subtly transformed into a sleeker, meaner creature. The updated version was unveiled with great fanfare at Cardinals headquarters on Thursday.

"A tough bird," team owner Bill Bidwill said. "Hopefully it will be worn by tougher and faster and meaner players."

Yet to come is what Cardinals vice president Michael Bidwill called "a revolutionary" change in the team's uniforms, to be shown this spring.

Defensive end Bertrand Berry will wear the new logo on his helmet in next month's Pro Bowl.

The old Cardinal logo was a roundhead bird derisively referred to as a "parakeet." The new version has decidedly more evil eyes and a menacing expression.

"The outline is in black," Michael Bidwill said. "We've made the beak much more predatory and much more aggressive. The face is much more streamlined. It's faster looking. The eye has been described as mean, we'll say tough. We've taken tail feathers and given them speed, as well."

The new beak is gold, while the old one was yellow.

"As they say, it's not the size of the bird in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the bird," coach Dennis Green said. "The cardinal is a small bird, but it can be a very aggressive bird. That's the idea."

Several prominent Cardinals -- including Josh McCown, Larry Fitzgerald and Leonard Davis -- modeled apparel with the new logo.

With his rural Texas background, McCown was asked if he was something of an expert on birds.

"The only birds I know about are the duck and the dove and the quail, birds that you shoot," the Cardinals quarterback said. "You're not really supposed to shoot cardinals. I don't know if I'd shoot this bird. It looks pretty mean. This bird might pull a gun out and shoot right back at you."

The changes are part of the team's preparation for its move into a new stadium, set for completion by the 2006 season opener.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Re: Does this logo look mean?

Why did they steal Louisvilles logo?

constipated?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    Why did they steal Louisvilles logo?
    That was my reaction at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Reminds me of a red version of the Eagles wing on their helmets.

Yeah, that should solve all their problems.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Here's Louisville's logo (done in cross-stitching, no less!)

I just have to laugh, because all this makes me think of the NFL-United Way ads a few years ago where Jake Plummer was trying to convince kids that Cardinals were tough birds. One kid says "Eagles are meaner than cardinals", to which Jake says, "No way! Cardinals eat eagles!"

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    Here's Louisville's logo (done in cross-stitching, no less!)

I like this one the best
    Go Gators!

I've never seen a cardinal with teeth.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I've never seen a cardinal with teeth.
    :MandJ: Every time I see that Louisville "Cardinal," it makes me want to laugh. Maybe they should try to give it lips and a mustache. :MandJ:

Personally, I don't think the new Cardinal looks any meaner than the original Cardinal.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

The News reports here have it that the logo will have a white outline to it and go on a black helmet.

It's a big step, the Cards have had the same logo for several decades. The fan base has been clamoring for something new since they moved to Phoenix in 1988, but other than adding a stripe to the jersey or socks, there has been no changes.

The unis are supposed to be a departure from what they have now.

Personally, I like it (It's my work desktop as of right now), it's a mild change to a long standing logo.

Glad to see a traditionally stuck up and uptight organization loosening the reigns. That's what happens when saavy sons take over for their uptight fathers, as Bill Bidwell transfers the Cards over to his youngest son Michael.

Hire a smart GM, who pushes for a radical coach, who then gets on board for a uni change, all for a new stadium.

A new attidute for one of the sorriest teams in pro sports. I love it.

I think they took the Eagles logo and put it on an overhead projector and then took the old Cards logo and placed it overtop and redrew the boundary lines.

What kind of crap is that for a "new look". It's the same.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 01-28-2005 at 11:28 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Trust me, if you've been looking at the same tired logo for 16 years, it's not the same.

I think Cardinals is a sissy name for a football team in the first place. They are pretty and flutter, not exactly evoking images of smashmouth football, and I doubt that new image would scare even my smallest child.

In their own division, they have [Harry Kalas voice] hawks, tough old gold miners, and rams. Then you have [feminine voice] the Cardinals. Flutter, flutter.
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-28-2005 at 12:55 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?