Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Day in Iraq

Beautiful Day in Iraq

News reports that 60% of eligible voters turned out to select representatives to a new legislature that will craft a democratic constitution. While the violent insurgents have killed 35 through bombings it was hardly the "washing the streets with the blood of voters" these jerks had promised. There has been much enthusiasm throughout the North and South but with many Sunnis boycotting as promised. In my view, if you boycott an election (like many Sunni leaders had insisted they would) you are voting to stay out of the process.The fact is, the Shia have a majority in the country and the Sunni domination of the government SHOULD end.

Congratulations to President Bush and Prime Minister Blair on making today possible. Congratulations to the thousands of US and UK soldiers for overthrowing a totalitarian regime and giving the Iraqi people the opportunity to select their leaders. Congratulations to the millions of Iraqi voters who have defied the insurgents by voting today and seizing on what so many of us take for granted. Congratulations to Ayattola Sistani (Shia) for not pursuing a course of retaliation against Sunni insurgents bent on igniting a civil war prior to this great day.

While some will be quick and enthusiastic to point out anything negative, we should all be thankful that we finally made it to election day and that the Iraqi people have finally made their voices heard.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Beautiful Day in Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    News reports that 60% of eligible voters turned out.
    Some reports put the turn out as high as 70%.

Listed below are the percentages of American's who have voted in the past few elections.

2000 51.3%
    1998 36.4
    1996 49.1
    1994 38.8
    1992 55.1
    1990 36.5
    1988 50.1
    1986 36.4
    1984 53.1
    1982 39.8
    1980 52.6
    1978 37.2
    1976 53.6
    1974 38.2
    1972 55.2
    1970 46.6
    1968 60.8
    1966 48.4
    1964 61.9
    1962 47.3
    1960 63.1
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Some reports put the turn out as high as 70%.

Listed below are the percentages of American's who have voted in the past few elections.

2000 51.3%
    1998 36.4
    1996 49.1
    1994 38.8
    1992 55.1
    1990 36.5
    1988 50.1
    1986 36.4
    1984 53.1
    1982 39.8
    1980 52.6
    1978 37.2
    1976 53.6
    1974 38.2
    1972 55.2
    1970 46.6
    1968 60.8
    1966 48.4
    1964 61.9
    1962 47.3
    1960 63.1
    I was thinking the same thing when I heard that. We certainly do take our voting rights for granted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Just curious, but does anyone know how they determine if a voter is "eligible" or not?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Just curious, but does anyone know how they determine if a voter is "eligible" or not?
    They registered. They checked ID's at the polls. Then everyone who voted had a finger "inked" so they couldn't vote again. (They should try that in Chicago).
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

This is truly great to see. One thing I was impressed with watching the news this morning was how many women were voting.

And I agree with creek and Chip about how much Americans take our right to vote for granted. It's a shame really - I guess we've become so acclimated to having it that we no longer appreciate it.

The fact is, the Shia have a majority in the country and the Sunni domination of the government SHOULD end.
    When we leave I wonder how the Sunnis are going to be treated? I wonder if their boycott has something to do with that?

News reports are also saying that turnout was higher than expected but that it's too early to release numbers.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I also wish that people were more concerned with Iraq having a government that could govern without 150,000 US troops. Regardless of whether it's elected or not, the Iraqi government is still completely propped up by the US, and that doesn't make Iraq a free nation, or any kind of real democracy.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Iraq's own citizens chose their own government. How does that make them "propped up" by the U.S.? There are so many people who are afraid to admit that this situation in Iraq just might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    I also wish that people were more concerned with Iraq having a government that could govern without 150,000 US troops. Regardless of whether it's elected or not, the Iraqi government is still completely propped up by the US, and that doesn't make Iraq a free nation, or any kind of real democracy.
    Isn't that getting the horse and the cart in the right order? They haven't had an election for 50 years, so self-governence isn't something you do overnight. Since we overthrew, reconstruction is our job.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Iraq's own citizens chose their own government. How does that make them "propped up" by the U.S.? There are so many people who are afraid to admit that this situation in Iraq just might work.
    He's right to a degree. There won't be true self rule in Iraq until the government can keep itself afloat. That provides the difficulty for the US in developing an exit plan. We won't know that the government can keep itself afloat until we leave. Once we are gone, if the country falls into chaos again, we are back to square one, or even worse.

All that being said, this is a great day for the Iraqi citizens. I truly hope that this does pave the way for democracy in that country.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    He's right to a degree. There won't be true self rule in Iraq until the government can keep itself afloat. That provides the difficulty for the US in developing an exit plan. We won't know that the government can keep itself afloat until we leave. Once we are gone, if the country falls into chaos again, we are back to square one, or even worse.

All that being said, this is a great day for the Iraqi citizens. I truly hope that this does pave the way for democracy in that country.
    One of the things about the constitution they are about to write is all three major factions will have veto power (2/3 need to turn it down in 3 provinces). So even though the Sunnis didn't come out to vote whether it's because they are insurgents or were threatened, they will have a place at the table - and they have expressed a great deal of interest in helping to form the constitution despite boycotting the elections.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Great to see, and so glad Bush didn't cave to those who would have postponed the elections.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Wow, watching the news the past few weeks you would have thought that a 25% turnout would be optimistic.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler

Exactly my take. Good news.

Now get to work.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?