Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universities On-Line

Universities On-Line

Anyone have any experience with them.?

I'm stuck out in the middle of Idaho and I'm thinking this might be a good way of getting an "education" Plus, I travel for my job and don't have time for regular school.

Anyone have any expenience with them. I clicked on a link and all these emails and telephone calls just started flooding in to me.

American Intercontential University has been calling me around the clock.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Universities On-Line

Hi BigRedHotPotato!

A friend of mine took classes at the University of Phoenix online. She really liked them because she worked a late shift and west coast time matched up with her "down time" at work. That's the only one I've heard about, though.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I used to work in the distance education field. Make sure you pick some place that's accredited and avoid diploma mills. You might get a break on tuition if you can hook up with an in-state school.

Leading institutions as of a couple of years ago were:

Western Governor's University
    University of Phoenix
    Penn State's World Campus
    /r/reds

Some employers refuse to recognize online degrees even if the online university is accredited. Keep that in mind.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Some of them aren't so legitimate. Thoroughly check them out before forkin' over any dough.

There was a spot on Dateline (I think) last night about career colleges. ITT Tech, U. of Pheonix, and Career Education Centers (maybe, I don't remember the name exactly) have all gotten in trouble with the government for misleading their students/other questionable practices.

Also, as has been stated, many of the spam emails you get are from non-accredited schools. Those degrees are worthless.

Many state universities and community colleges offer distance learning classes. I'd check out that avenue first.

Got two calls today from Colorado Tech University and told them to slow down. They kept wanting to setup a follow-up telephone call and I told them, I will contact them.

Also AIU keeps calling and I told them because of their record on BBB.org, I am leery about their program and I didn't feel comfortable talking to an agent of the university at this time.

I guess when they see GI Bill (not touched yet) and my company pays 75 percent tution assistance (not to mention, I have an associates in Criminal Justice already) their eyes light up like a pinball machine.

I don't know if I can trust "strangers" here on this forum or not, but I am willing to listen if any of you have experiences with these outfits. Good or Bad.

Thanks for helping out a total stranger, not known to anyone here.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Some employers refuse to recognize online degrees even if the online university is accredited. Keep that in mind.
    Many regionally accredited schools which offer classes both online and in a brick and mortar setting do not differentiate between the two. There is no way an employer will know whether the classes were online or not, so how can they discriminate? I'd recommend that you check this out before enrolling:
    Council for Higher Education Accreditation

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion
    Many regionally accredited schools which offer classes both online and in a brick and mortar setting do not differentiate between the two. There is no way an employer will know whether the classes were online or not, so how can they discriminate? I'd recommend that you check this out before enrolling:
    Council for Higher Education Accreditation
    Agreed, not sure how anyone would know the difference unless they point-blank asked you.

Where you go depends on what you want out of it. There are certain fields that I probably wouldn't consider doing it (those that are overly 'status' conscious).

The one thing that you don't get by going on-line is the contacts that you make in person. If that's your ballgame, go in person, otherwise I'd get it online.

Based on my discussions with 5-6 MBA grads of UD and Wright State, I did every bit as much work and in most cases more than those that attended a brick and mortar. They view my degree as equal and I have been promoted as such (and often faster than my B&M counterparts).

I went on-line here:

University of Findlay
    1000 N. Main St.
    Findlay, OH 45840
    Phone: (419) 422-8313
    Fax: (419) 424-4874
    Web: http://www.findlay.edu

Accreditation by:

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA-HLC) The Higher Learning Commission
    The institutions listed here have been accredited by this accrediting organization (last updated March 2004).

GL

Time is the Revelator.

I've been looking into Devry online courses. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    I've been looking into Devry online courses. Haven't made up my mind yet.
    I have thought about them. But I don't think the name "Devry" impresses employers.

Sorry if I misspoke earlier. Some employers (like my wife's employer) refuse to recognize degrees from *online only* universities like U. of Phoenix. They will recognize degrees earned online from non-virtual schools.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'd check your state schools as well.

One thing to consider is that in my experience (and many others), grad schools are not very easy to transfer credits to. Thus the option of piecing together a degree from several schools doesn't work well. But I assume you are talking about a grad degree. If you are talking about an undergrad degree, it is a lot easier to piece a degree together, as undergrad schools (in my experience) are much more lenient with transfer credits.

Can I ask what type of degree/major you are pursuing?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedHotPotato
    I have thought about them. But I don't think the name "Devry" impresses employers.
    I know someone who got two Devry degrees and now does computer work for the FBI. Considering she had no computer training before Devry, I think that they were impressed.
    /r/reds

That would be Criminal Justice.

One school is offerering a Criminal Justice/Computer Science degree which sounds interesting. X-Files anyone? CSI Las Vegas??

Turn Off Ads?