Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Universities On-Line

Re: Universities On-Line

I started my degree physically at the college, but have spent the last year of the degree doing online only courses. Many colleges allow you to complete your degree like that, so if you already have an associates, check where you earned it and see if they will tailor something to your needs to complete the BA online.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

IMO, the best option is the community college route.

Im planning on taking classes this fall at WVU-Parkersburg. Its considerably cheaper than going to Morgantown, plus they offer some 4 year degrees. Business majors with a focus on accounting almost immediately get a job at the Bureau of Public Debt.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'd like to second WVRed's idea of looking into community college too. Our community college in Columbus offers tons of online classes. I've taken some, and they are good.
    Some classes require you come in 2-5 times during the quarter (if that class has a lab). Most let you go to the exam center during a certain window.

And most of all, the community college instructors (IMO) are more interested in teaching than the 4 year teachers. Most of the profs at 4 year colleges (again, IMO) view teaching their 1 class/year as a hassle that gets in the way of their research.

Then again, since the original poster is getting tuition reimbursement, cost may not be an issue. But you might get some convienence and good online course selection. Also, there's many more "lifelong" students at community college, so they tend to be more flexible to working people.

One more option. Some universities offer old-fashioned correspondence courses. You email the homework, and then take your tests at a public library. I took a course through Indiana Univeristy that way. You get a year to finish the course, so there's no pressure. I think Western Michigan also offers correspondence courses as well.
    But there's a TON of schools that offer internet/distance courses for undergrad. Keep digging.

The Idaho state university system offers online courses. Go to here for the information. That would seem to be your best bet.
    Last edited by Red Heeler; 02-01-2005 at 01:29 PM.

I taught at a school that had traditional as well as online degrees (one of those that advertise on TV). I would look at what your needs and limitations prior to going in. One of the problems with online classes is that it can often be difficult to get additional help when you need it. You also have to be very disciplined so that you don't fall behind. I recommend looking more closely at the schools near you that offer online degrees as well as traditional classroom instruction. The benefit is that if you find yourself having trouble with the online class, you have somewhere you can go to get help. Some schools even ofter the same course in both classroom and online instruction, so that if you find the online instruction isn't helping you, you can transfer to the classroom section.

And most of all, the community college instructors (IMO) are more interested in teaching than the 4 year teachers. Most of the profs at 4 year colleges (again, IMO) view teaching their 1 class/year as a hassle that gets in the way of their research.
    you mean golf game.

I work at a community college as head of web services. (yeah yeah, i'm a webmaster, the other title sounds better.) We offer a ton of online classes. that side has grown by leaps and bounds, but there are pitfalls too.

findout what software they use (WebCT, Blackboard etc.) Dooes the school host or is it outsourced. What is the server uptime?

Makes a difference when you are trying to take a test online 1 hour before the deadline, and the server crashes.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Makes a difference when you are trying to take a test online 1 hour before the deadline, and the server crashes.
    Actually that is a good point. If you are taking a class online, they typically give you a one week window to take the test. Do not take the test on the last day. That is insane. Take the test with 2-3 days of buffer, just in case.

I've taken classes both on WebCT and Blackboard. Both classes had a local prof and/or TA that you could email for questions. But that's a good point, I'm sure some universitities don't give you good support.

I'd also like to add that most classes the profs can check the test system and see if you were dropped 35 minutes into an hour test. So, if a snafu occurs, they can fix it.

I also took one online course at OSU which was an absolute nightmare. The prof basically told us on Day 1 to read the entire book. There was about 600 pages for the midterm. No notes, homework, outline or study guide were provided. This was a "memorize facts" course, so it was basically impossible to know what the prof wanted us to learn. So, the moral is, on the first day make sure that they give you a clear idea of what you have to learn (as opposed to "memorize the entire book").
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

I saw the word "robot" in the url and figured that was your homepage, WOY
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?