Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kobe runs off another head coach

Kobe runs off another head coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1981564

Rudy Tomjanovich will step down as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers after tonight's game against the Portland Trail Blazers, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

His health, although not a relapse of bladder cancer, and dissatisfaction with the way the Lakers are playing contributed to the decision, sources told Bucher.

Tomjanovich missed Sunday's game because of a stomach virus, and did not attend practice on Monday.

Assistant coach Frank Hamblen will become the interim coach.

The Lakers hired Tomjanovich on July 10, replacing Phil Jackson. They are 23-19, in seventh place in the Western Conference.

Tomjanovich left the coaching ranks over a year earlier to fight bladder cancer. He previously coached the Houston Rockets for 12 seasons, winning NBA championships in 1994 and 1995.

"It's just excitement, nothing but excitement," Tomjanovich said this fall about his return. "It's a positive. I've been like a young school boy since this has happened. At times I haven't gotten to sleep, but it's not anxiety. It's excitement."

After losing to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, the Lakers ended their successful partnership with Jackson and traded Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat.
    Last edited by WVRed; 02-01-2005 at 04:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Kobe runs off another head coach

They should spare themselves the trouble and just make Kobe the coach.

Sweet sassy molassy!!!!!

They should get Michael Jackson to coach.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Kobe not getting the ball enough? Rudy make a move on Vanessa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Sweet sassy molassy!!!!!

They should get Michael Jackson to coach.
    or Dr. Katz.

Cruisin' for trouble

That'll be the next catch-phrase for '05.

Instead of YOUR FIRED!!!, it'll be, YOU'VE BEEN KOBE'D!!!!

Tell your friends.

I must have mash potato brains but I don't see anywhere in that article that says anything about Kobe Bryant (period).

Yes, Kobe acts like a spoil brat. I guess you can speculate the reason.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedHotPotato
    I must have mash potato brains but I don't see anywhere in that article that says anything about Kobe Bryant (period).
    You're kidding! The entire Laker buzz going into the season was, "This is Kobe's team." Since they're decidedly mediocre now, and Kobe's a master of avoiding blame, you don't hear that sentiment out of Lakerland much anymore. But fans of other teams haven't forgotten.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    You're kidding! The entire Laker buzz going into the season was, "This is Kobe's team." Since they're decidedly mediocre now, and Kobe's a master of avoiding blame, you don't hear that sentiment out of Lakerland much anymore. But fans of other teams haven't forgotten.
    HUH? What am I kidding about?

Most Laker fans I know and I know many, thought trading Shaq and letting Kobe "run" the team was a dumb move.

I am only addressing the article that was posted. No mention of Kobe in it at all. And it maybe that the coach is really not healthy to continue.

I don't know if rule #5 applies here, since Kobe is a basketball player and not a baseball player. But it looks like some of you are going out of the way to Bash a player and a team's fans.

Retired

Rule 5 states excessive player criticism, I dont' see how 1 post can be represented as excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Rule 5 states excessive player criticism, I dont' see how 1 post can be represented as excessive.

rule
    or anything along those lines

1. Kobe is not mentioned in the article
    2. The coach has a history of health problems
    3. We know Kobe is spoiled/immature
    4. "ALL" Laker Fans did not like the trade.
    Last edited by RBA; 02-01-2005 at 06:25 PM.

I don't get it.

Is there ANYONE out there who when they heard the news that Rudy was leaving who didn't immediately think of Kobe?

ANYONE?

After all the press around Phil Jackson's departure and Kobe's role in that, isn't it perfectly reasonable to question Kobe's involvement, or lack thereof, in this situation?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Cruisin' for trouble

Flash to Tom Cruise interviewing Kobe on the stand...

Cruise: So, when Shaq was traded to the Miami Heat, who's team was it?

Kobe: Ummm.

Cruise: Didn't you say that your guys were starting to play better for YOU?

Kobe: Yeah, I guess I did.

Cruise: Isn't it true that part of the reason that Tomjonosomething decided to resign was due to the play of the team???

Kobe: Yeah, that's what he said.

Cruise: Then tell me this. If Tomjonosomething quit because of the play of the team - and it's YOUR team - how are you not at least partly responsible for Tomjonosomething resigning???

Kobe: You can't handle the truth!!! Because, the truth is, you WANT me on that court, you NEED me on that court...

Question? Yes
    But some here have already deemed him quilty.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedHotPotato
    Question? Yes
    But some here have already deemed him quilty.

I think that's fair to say.

Turn Off Ads?