Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thin-sliced cheese

Thin-sliced cheese

I really do love where I live, but the Boston area suffers from a deli ineptitude and I want to see if it's a national thing or if I'm just unlucky.

I originally hail from Philadelphia. Say what you will about Philly, and believe me I do, but they know their way around a sandwich in that city.

And, in that area, whether it's on a prepared sandwich or it comes from your local market (Wa-Wa I love you), deli meats and cheeses come thin-sliced. You don't have to ask for thin-sliced down there because there's no other way to get it. Why? Because any Philadelphian will tell you that the flavor improves as the surface area to mass ratio increases. Though they'll phrase it as "Because it tastes better, you dope."

In Boston they aren't so bad with the meats, but there seems to regional mania for slab cheese. Perhaps that's why the call them grinders instead of subs, since you've got to grind through a foundation of cheese that melds with none of the rest of the sandwich because it's cut as thick as floor tiling.

Even worse is when you go to the market and actually ask for thin-sliced cheese. They'll slice it and ask you if the cut's all right. Invariably they've cut it extra thick. When I insist that, no, that's not even sort of thin, I get this, "Well, that's just crazy" look from the counter person. Well, I'm not crazy. I'm just from Philadelphia and I know something about sandwiches.

I don't remember it being this bad when I lived in Virginia. They didn't do made-to-order sandwiches all that well (Subway was the best you were going to get), but they didn't cut thick as a bed sheet at the supermarket.

Anyway, I need to know, is this just a New England thing? Because if it is, I might have to buy my own slicer.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thin-sliced cheese

Hi... I live on the west coast.

What's a deli?

Real deli's are few and far between here in beautuful Ohio, but the deli counter at my local Kroger will slice stuff anyway you want it without any of those looks.

Back when I lived in Chicago they had some great deli's. Don't know if that's still the case.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Hi... I live on the west coast.

What's a deli?
    Amen brother man

I always seem to get it sliced the way I request. We don't have any real delis around here though.

My pet peeve is what they call sharp cheddar cheese around here. I'm from New York ..... I want some aged, extra sharp cheddar cheese ...... not that orange stuff. I want a slice of cheese that bites back.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    My pet peeve is what they call sharp cheddar cheese around here. I'm from New York ..... I want some aged, extra sharp cheddar cheese ...... not that orange stuff. I want a slice of cheese that bites back.
    Two words: Jungle Jim's.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

La Dolce Vita

or Trader Joe's. There is now one in Cincinnati thank goodness.
    teach tolerance.

Trader Joes is the one stop cheese shop in this house.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Katzingers Deli here in Columbus is the best in the area.. had it for lunch today actually.

Wow, Cincy has Trader Joe's now?

I thought it was a West coast thing.

Sure wish we had one here. We do have a very good New York style deli, run by actual transplanted New Yorkers. You can get any type cut you want there.

Boston has a few local customs that are different than anywhere else I've been. Automatically loading up coffee with sugar and cream is one of them.

And I've never seen so many Dunkin Doughnuts in my life.

Maybe now that the curse is broken they can get with the program.

M2, there's a chain of restuarants in Texas called "Texadelphia", and they make the best philly style cheese steaks I've had outside of Philly.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

La Dolce Vita

The Trader Joe's in Cincinnati (on Montgomery Ave.) just opened in the last couple of months I guess. In the past I've had to go to the one up Dayton way or in Chicago when I visit my daughter.
    teach tolerance.

Automatically loading up coffee with sugar and cream is one of them.
    Freaking "Coffe Regular" what a folly.

Exactly. The first time I was asked that, I just figured it meant black.

They looked at me like I was crazy when I complained.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I worked a breakfast counter in NY during high school. When someone ordered a regular coffee, it meant one cream, one sugar.

:MandJ: That is no joke. My wife likes coffee black, no cream, no sugar. Actually hates cream and sugar in her coffee. I thought there was going to be a throw-down brawl when she got her coffee.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?