Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thin-sliced cheese

Re: Thin-sliced cheese

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Actually, we use white american, which is the tradtional cheese for a cheesesteak.

You can ask for provolone if you want it, though.

If you've never been there before, though, I suggest you try the #5 or #13.
    They're traditional Jersey Shore style cold italian subs. Lots of vinegar and oil is a must.
    Your best italians actually get better if you let them sit for a while, everything melds together (particularly the oil into the bread).

Around Philly, american is the standard cheese you'll get on a cheesesteak, but in South Philly you get your choice of whiz, american or provolone. I'm partial to the whiz.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    My favorite "local" sandwich in Cincy is the double-decker. I'd never heard of them until I moved here... they are truly awesome.
    What is a double decker? Are they available downtown? You got me curious- I might have to try on this summer.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Tried Dickey's in Dallas? not bad for a chain. It isn't that i don like BBQ, it's that the options are BBQ and Mexican or chains like Fridays. Sometimes i just yearn for a little variety in my food. I miss coneys and sliders. That said, my wife is making mexican tonight.
    Sometimes it seems like 50% of the restaurants in San Antonio serve Mexican food, but we try to consume it sparingly.

Bill Miller's is the BBQ of choice locally, but it's nothing special. (How they managed to open 60 locations in the metro area serving that food is one of life's great mysteries.) Rudy's is my favorite of the chains. I think the closest Rudy's to you is probably the one in Lubbock.

Aside from airport layovers, I've only been to Dallas once. At that time I was focused on getting in and out of the city as quickly as possible, so I am unenlightened about Dickey's.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    What is a double decker? Are they available downtown? You got me curious- I might have to try on this summer.
    A double-decker is really two sandwiches in one (they are HUGE!). TeamMorris and I usually share one. You get to choose your bread (or combination of breads), two-four meats (all the same or combinations), and cheese). They build two sandwiches with with all the fixings and stack them up. Literally, they fill a styrofoam "doggie bag" box. Even when cut into the traditional four sections they sometimes hard to handle. The proportions of all the ingredients are huge; sometimes I can only eat one section.

My favorite is ham and roast beef on rye and pumpernickle with provolone and swiss (and lettuce, tomato, and mayo on each layer). They always top it off with two big, big kosher pickles and chips too.

We usually grab our on the way to the game at the Red Squirrel (Walnut between 4th and 3rd). They also make really good ones at Camp Washington Chili (I think that's on Columbia Parkway). I know other places have them, but these are the only two I'm familiar with.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Just got back from Jersey Mikes.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

My other complaint about this area, and many chain supermarkets for that matter is Italian bread.

It should be in a paper sleeve hot out of the oven. None if this cellophane or plastic. The crust is supposed to be rustic and crusty! It's Italian bread.

I haven't had good Italian bread since I lived in Liverpool N.Y.

Blue Ash Chili has a good double-decker as well.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Sometimes it seems like 50% of the restaurants in San Antonio serve Mexican food, but we try to consume it sparingly.

Bill Miller's is the BBQ of choice locally, but it's nothing special. (How they managed to open 60 locations in the metro area serving that food is one of life's great mysteries.) Rudy's is my favorite of the chains. I think the closest Rudy's to you is probably the one in Lubbock.

Aside from airport layovers, I've only been to Dallas once. At that time I was focused on getting in and out of the city as quickly as possible, so I am unenlightened about Dickey's.
    Dickey's is pretty good, but the sauce is a little sweet for my taste. There is a mongolian BBQ in Grand Prairie called Bidi's that is awesome. pricey though, for me at least. but i go to dallas once a year for training. i always blow my meal money for one day on a dinner there.
    Suck it up cupcake.

wheels,

Clear out your PMs...
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I have never been this hungry in my life.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    My other complaint about this area, and many chain supermarkets for that matter is Italian bread.

It should be in a paper sleeve hot out of the oven. None if this cellophane or plastic. The crust is supposed to be rustic and crusty! It's Italian bread.

The closer to the ocean your are the better the bread.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The closer to the ocean your are the better the bread.

Man, I would kill for some good fresh out of the oven Sourdough bread right now. Scott's Seafood in San Francisco or Marin Joes up in Corte Madera.

Yeah, baby.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

TB's favorite is sourdough. She used to bring it home with her when she had business trips to California.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey

Actually, they sell this at Meijer. My problem is that I can't get it all eaten before it gets hard in the brown paper bag. But it's good!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    wheels,

Clear out your PMs...
    Just did.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?