Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Union

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

State of the Union

I know it is still going on but any comments on what has been said this far?

Re: State of the Union

I wonder how Cheney feels sitting there listening to this nonsense about "preserving the sanctity of marriage" with a Constitutional amendment.
    Last edited by macro; 02-03-2005 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Masked Profanity
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

As a liberal I didnt think I would be able to take much of this. However while he was on Social Security reform I was fine, then once he got to the gay marriage issue I just got mad. Now he is on foreign policy and it is just the same old crap.

As a conservative, I am very optimistic about his agenda in the second term. I feel good that Social Security is getting the thorough analysis required to make it viable long-term. Hopefully Democrats will be able to add to the solution and a compromise may result. If they insist there is no problem the Republicans should take on the fight and proceed without them.

The tribute to the parents of the fallen Marine and the woman Iraqi voter was moving. What I didn't like was the amnesty- and that's what is is- for illegal aliens already in the country. It would seem we're prepared to reward illegal behavior.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    then once he got to the gay marriage issue I just got mad.
    I'm glad we have a President trying to ban gay marriage. That issue alone makes me respect Bush more than I actually should

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    I'm glad we have a President trying to ban gay marriage. That issue alone makes me respect Bush more than I actually should
    Yeah...if only we could finally get that gay marriage ban in place, that would fix so many of the problems in our country. I am so glad this administration has their priorities in order.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Yeah...if only we could finally get that gay marriage ban in place, that would fix so many of the problems in our country. I am so glad this administration has their priorities in order.
    Trust me its a step in the right direction. This country needs to be cleaned up and that is a major step as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I wonder how Cheney feels sitting there listening to this bull**** about "preserving the sanctity of marriage" with a Constitutional amendment.

The history books will carry George W. Bush into posterity as the worst two-term President in American history. It's not even close. He's the only President in American history to 1) attempt to amend the Constitution by LIMITING freedoms, and 2) he's the only President to start a pre-emptive war. Two of the most egregious and un-American behaviors by a President in U.S. history--just let those two things sink in for a moment. Just roll those two items around in your head for a while. Unfathomable. Embarrassing. Disgraceful. (And stealing from the Republicans) Un-American.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    The history books will carry George W. Bush into posterity as the worst two-term President in American history. It's not even close.
    Blah blah blah blah blah...

Liberating 50 million people in Iraq and Afghanistan; overthrowing a homicidal dictator in Saddam Hussein; presenting Iraqis with their first real chance to have a say in their own country through a free vote (which more than 75 percent of the population participated in despite the threat of violence); eradicating the Taliban;

and, my favorite, driving looney liberals crazy. :allovrjr:

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan

Liberating 50 million people in Iraq and Afghanistan; overthrowing a homicidal dictator in Saddam Hussein; presenting Iraqis with their first real chance to have a say in their own country through a free vote (which more than 75 percent of the population participated in despite the threat of violence); eradicating the Taliban;

Liberate, eh? Too bad that's not why he said we were going there. Only when those mysterious WMDs failed to show up did the mission become one of "liberation." If Iraq were some third-world, oil-starved African nation, do you think we would have "liberated" them? If you say yes, then I have a nice list of countries we can start working on...

BTW, the election turnout was actually 60%. To contrast, in 1967, Vietnam held an election under threats of violence and reprisals from the VC. The turnout then was 80%, and the U.S. celebrated it as a victory of democracy in the face of threatened tyranny. And lo, a mere 8 years later, we were piloting the last helicopter out of Saigon as the city fell to VC forces, 58,000 dead Amercians later.

Similarities, anyone?

For a Level Playing Field

BTW, the election turnout was actually 60%. To contrast, in 1967, Vietnam held an election under threats of violence and reprisals from the VC. The turnout then was 80%, and the U.S. celebrated it as a victory of democracy in the face of threatened tyranny. And lo, a mere 8 years later, we were piloting the last helicopter out of Saigon as the city fell to VC forces, 58,000 dead Amercians later.

Similarities, anyone?
    Are you saying that 58,000 Americans died in Vietnam after the election there? If so, you are wrong. That is how a reader might take your above comment.

In the face of threatened tyranny? According to my history books, a cease-fire agreement was in place from both sides. And this was initiated by the North Vietmanese b/c the US messed their logistics up real bad once we started destroying their stocks in Cambodia. Then the North lied and broke their own agreement that they initiated. They infiltrated the South and took Saigon after our troops were long gone from Vietnam. Hopefully our country learned a lesson and will not leave so soon or trust a non-trustworthy enemy.

Let's be clear on something else, since your message is not too clear... that last helicopter was getting US citizens out of Saigon. Not military as a reader may think when reading your message.

Similiar from your view maybe, but not from my view. 58,000.... long-long-long way to go to match that number. But I'll let you tell us how many US military have been killed in Iraq.

Just want to make sure that readers are clear on Vietnam.

And lo, a mere 8 years later, we were piloting the last helicopter out of Saigon as the city fell to VC forces, 58,000 dead Amercians later.
    Saigon did not fall to "VC forces." After 1968, the Viet Cong were not the primary opponent faced by American and South Vietnamese forces; the primary opponent was North Vietnam. Saigon fell in 1975 to units of the North Vietnamese regular army, not to the Viet Cong.
    IMO too many Americans who came of age during the runup to World War II saw every foreign policy crisis as a repeat of Hitler and the dangers of appeasement, while too many Americans who came of age during the Viet Nam War see every foreign crisis to be a simple replay of that tragic war. There are lessons to be learned from each conflict, but history rarely plays itself out in a simple and exact repeat of the past.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Similarities, anyone?
    Absolutely amazing. Liberals' hatred for George W. Bush is so strong that anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, will be spun until it can look bad for the president. The fact that you can try and throw a wet towel on the wonderful news from Iraq this week is, quite frankly, disgusting.

Turn off the Al Jazeera and join us in 2005.

Thank God we have four more years of Bush!
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 02-03-2005 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan

I hate your politics.

But how bout dem Flyers?

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    I hate your politics.

But how bout dem Flyers?

Tough three-game road trip coming up. Need at least 2 wins.

Turn Off Ads?