Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Union

Re: State of the Union

I am curious about something and I dont mean for this to be an insult like many of these threads turn out to be, but to those who support homosexuality, would you also support incest by the same logic of "they were born that way"?

This has been bugging me for some time now.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Incest leads to birth defects. Incest between minors is due to a lack of education about sex. Incest between grown consenting adults is... odd. and rare i believe.

I cannot remember hearing about a brother/sister relationship, as grown adults that led to a marriage proposal. It may have happened, but I have not heard of it.

Do we need a Constitutional Ammendment or education?

Being gay is not a crime. It should not be a crime. Marriage isn't an institution, it's a lifestyle choice. Being Gay, truly gay, isn't a lifestyle choice, it's biology. There is no, and should not be a Constitutional Ammendment protecting my right to the "institution" of being single. Why should marriage benefit from that?

Why is it when anyone brings up anti gay arguements it almost always leads to incest being thrown in. One has as much to do with the other as an adult babysitter molesting his/her young charge.

Apples/paisleys so to speak.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I am curious about something and I dont mean for this to be an insult like many of these threads turn out to be, but to those who support homosexuality, would you also support incest by the same logic of "they were born that way"?

This has been bugging me for some time now.
    When has anyone ever argued for incest by claiming that incestuous individuals can't help themselves because of biological reasons?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I heard no details on how to fix it, just that it's future was bleak.
    Define "bleak".

If the Democrats take the position that there is no problem with Social Security the great majority of people will look to the Republicans to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    When has anyone ever argued for incest by claiming that incestuous individuals can't help themselves because of biological reasons?
    Nobody has, but that is the argument for homosexuals, so can it be used for the incestuous as well?

Thanks TRF, that was pretty much the answer I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Choice, biology, doesn't make any difference to me. Still don't see how allowing gays to marry threatens the institution of marriage or the national moral fiber any more than miscegenation did.

As for social security, why should I support a benefits cut for me down the road and having to live off a fixed fund made from a percentage of what I pay today when current retirees and the first wave of baby boomers will continue to get paid far more than they put into the system? If the government wants to do something about the fund's solvency, stop raiding it and put back what you stole from it. If they want to let me "invest" my money, then don't take my money from me in the first place and I'll use it as I see it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Nobody has, but that is the argument for homosexuals, so can it be used for the incestuous as well?
    It surely can, but TRF outlined pretty well why it would be a pretty inane argument.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

What did you all think of Bush's comments directed at Iran? Think he is getting the war machine ready again?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    Blah blah blah blah blah...

Liberating 50 million people in Iraq and Afghanistan; overthrowing a homicidal dictator in Saddam Hussein; presenting Iraqis with their first real chance to have a say in their own country through a free vote (which more than 75 percent of the population participated in despite the threat of violence); eradicating the Taliban;

and, my favorite, driving looney liberals crazy. :allovrjr:
    I hate your politics.

But how bout dem Flyers?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    What did you all think of Bush's comments directed at Iran? Think he is getting the war machine ready again?
    Halliburton and GE are both pulling out of business deals with Iran. "'Because of uncertain conditions related to Iran, including concerns about meeting future customer commitments, we will not accept any new orders for business in Iran effective Feb. 1," said Gary Sheffer, a GE spokesman.

"Perhaps for the 2006 SOTU, there'll be a carefully chosen Iranian widow to plunk in the balcony to make America feel better about its latest wave of creative destruction."
    James walcott

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Seems to me he either needs to put a bow around Iraq or institute a draft in order to invade Iran.

BTW, I always thought Iran was the place to target and not Iraq. The Hezbollah is an arm of the Iranian government, terrorism is a principal tenet of Iranian foreign policy, al Qaida operated training bases in Iran for years, it has more advanced weaponry, the Iranian government is the sort of militant theocracy we're supposedly at war with and Iran's the dominant country in the region (in other words the one most likely to be a trend setter).

And back in 2000-2002 there was a huge popular movement looking to unseat the ayatollahs from power. The government actually ordered the national soccer team to lose a World Cup qualifier because it feared a street celebration in Tehran could turn into a popular uprising which would sweep it from power. Iran actually has a good-sized, well-educated middle class chafing against repressive religious rule and it has a history with democracy (actually it's sort of democratic now, though the church holds all the checks and balances).

It was possible that the U.S. could have gone in supporting a popular uprising, giving the rebel forces air and logistical support, and not gotten into an occupation scenario. We certainly could have neutralized the Iranian military without too much trouble and let the uprising take care of the power transfer.

Now, as a direct result of the Iraqi invasion, anti-U.S./anti-democratic sentiment has taken over in Iran and the ayatollahs have re-secured their hold on that nation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Its like Bush just gets bored with wars. "Uh enough of Afghanistan, lets move on." Now seems like maybe he is getting bored with Iraq. By the way I want to give props to Bush (only my second time so far) for keeping the Iraqi elections on the 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Andrew Jackson? How about Clinton and Reagan?
    I don't usually comment of political stuff, but I want to share a story.

Yes, Bush will go down in history as the man who faced to two very lame Democratic candidates on his way to two terms.

Anyway, on Sunday, in the midst of a horrendous ice storm, I found the need to go out for breakfast. Call me stupid, I guess. The restaurant was empty except for me and a local Democratic committeeman. We did the usual small talk about the weather and sports and he finally looked up at me and said, "You know what I really miss? Ronald Reagan." I was shocked and had to ask why. "He was so much smarter than Bush and had a way about him that inspired Americans for good, even when he did bonehead things. We need that more than we need what we have."

Strangely, this morning I was eating lunch at Applebee's and a notorious Republican and a long time businessman -- a good friend of mine -- stopped by my table at Applebees to announce he was retiring (really going out of business). His comment was he never thought that business would get that bad under a Republican president and he longed for the Clinton years when things were good.

Just goes to show you that even if the guys in Washington are so rigid that they can't compromise, in local, small town America there is some give and take.

Bush takes he cake. No other president in my memory can polarize any discussion and make compromise impossible. So Andrew Jackson is the appropriate comparison, unfortunately.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    In many respects it will take a second term President to tackle Social Security. An executive who doesn't have to worry about running again. I remember Clinton talked about it a bit in his second term but it didn't go anywhere. It would be preferable if we had a bipartisan solution. But those who insist there should be NO change should be fought.
    I just found out that for me, there is no alternative except the present system. At 56, I'm too old to participate in any new investment options on Social Security. So, you young people take care with my retirement or else I'll come panhandling on your doorstep .
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?