Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Union

State of the Union

I know it is still going on but any comments on what has been said this far?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: State of the Union

I wonder how Cheney feels sitting there listening to this nonsense about "preserving the sanctity of marriage" with a Constitutional amendment.
    Last edited by macro; 02-03-2005 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Masked Profanity
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

As a liberal I didnt think I would be able to take much of this. However while he was on Social Security reform I was fine, then once he got to the gay marriage issue I just got mad. Now he is on foreign policy and it is just the same old crap.

As a conservative, I am very optimistic about his agenda in the second term. I feel good that Social Security is getting the thorough analysis required to make it viable long-term. Hopefully Democrats will be able to add to the solution and a compromise may result. If they insist there is no problem the Republicans should take on the fight and proceed without them.

The tribute to the parents of the fallen Marine and the woman Iraqi voter was moving. What I didn't like was the amnesty- and that's what is is- for illegal aliens already in the country. It would seem we're prepared to reward illegal behavior.

I think the Democrats will work with the Republicans on the SS issue at least I hope. My only problem is that the debt really worries me and this will cost an insane amount to do.

As far his immagration policy I just enjoy that it is getting under the skin of so many conservatives. Now you know how he makes me feel on just about every issue.

SS needs to actually be put in the public debate. All too often the Dems and the AARP have shut any debate whatsoever. Bush's full plan may not be the way to go, but it needs to move in that direction. As a member of the generation who will likely see nothing of the SS taxes we pay, it is near the top of domestic items for me. And it needs a full discourse, not the same scare tactics that unfortunately have been thrown out by the Dem leadership to date.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

George W Bush may be the next Andrew Jackson. A President who was either loved or hated, nobody in between.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I wonder how Cheney feels sitting there listening to this bull**** about "preserving the sanctity of marriage" with a Constitutional amendment.

The history books will carry George W. Bush into posterity as the worst two-term President in American history. It's not even close. He's the only President in American history to 1) attempt to amend the Constitution by LIMITING freedoms, and 2) he's the only President to start a pre-emptive war. Two of the most egregious and un-American behaviors by a President in U.S. history--just let those two things sink in for a moment. Just roll those two items around in your head for a while. Unfathomable. Embarrassing. Disgraceful. (And stealing from the Republicans) Un-American.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    George W Bush may be the next Andrew Jackson. A President who was either loved or hated, nobody in between.
    Andrew Jackson? How about Clinton and Reagan?

I was surprised by a lot of his stated goals, namely exploring alternative energy sources and providing health insurance for small businesses. They seemed very left-leaning. He also threw a bone to the liberals by mentioning his commitment to a clean environment.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to take him seriously when he promises to *cut the deficit in half by 2009*, or when he pledges to explore the advantages of "nucular" energy.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

What we need to is open ANWR for drilling. Yesterday.

"I was surprised by a lot of his stated goals, namely exploring alternative energy sources and providing health insurance for small businesses. They seemed very left-leaning. He also threw a bone to the liberals by mentioning his commitment to a clean environment."

It's Trojan Horse-ing.

Classic rhetorical strategy.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm highly skeptical that the President or the Congress have the political will to make meaningful change to Social Security. It hasn't been called the "third rail" all these years for nothing. That section of the speech sounded like a bunch of trial balloons, but I think that was merely a smokescreen. I would bet that the reform proposal is already taking shape in a smoke-free back room. We'll see how far it gets, once the lobbyists get their hands on it.
    /r/reds

Sure it is. But I'll be happy to hold him accountable for those crazy promises in two or three years.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Sure it is. But I'll be happy to hold him accountable for those crazy promises in two or three years.
    Right. But your typing "threw them a bone" is all he wanted to accomplish.

He, you, and I know that he won't be held accountable. Can't be held accountable.

Turn Off Ads?