Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: State of the Union

Re: State of the Union

In many respects it will take a second term President to tackle Social Security. An executive who doesn't have to worry about running again. I remember Clinton talked about it a bit in his second term but it didn't go anywhere. It would be preferable if we had a bipartisan solution. But those who insist there should be NO change should be fought.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Andrew Jackson? How about Clinton and Reagan?
    Both Clinton and Reagan were pretty popular. Both had extremely high approval ratings when they left office.

I think the Andrew Jackson comparison is apt, especially since Jackson was probably the worst president the US has ever had. Jackson was almost certainly the closest thing to a dictator that we've ever had.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Remember that guy named Osama Bin Laden? Remember how we were going to get him, "Dead or Alive"? Anybody hear his name come up at all?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I'd like to know why we had to see pictures of Sen. Hillary Clinton every 5 mintues? Seriously. What has she done in her time in the Senate to get her mug on the screen every 5 minutes during the S-of-the-U Address? I know the she was first lady, but I also know that you do not get elected to that job.

I don't blame Sen. Hillary Clinton. I blame the media. It is okay to show Sen. Clinton once in a while (along w/ others), but they showed her way too much. But that is the media that we have. I guess they were hoping to get a shot of her looking angry at the President's words or maybe they thought she would faint again. Ridiculous.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Both Clinton and Reagan were pretty popular. Both had extremely high approval ratings when they left office.

I think the Andrew Jackson comparison is apt, especially since Jackson was probably the worst president the US has ever had. Jackson was almost certainly the closest thing to a dictator that we've ever had.
    Wasn't Jackson a Democrat?

He was instrumental in trying to kill the bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Remember that guy named Osama Bin Laden? Remember how we were going to get him, "Dead or Alive"? Anybody hear his name come up at all?
    Hey! Dont bring up that name! We have captured 2/3 thirds of his terrorist network. Who cares that they have all been replaced. We will continue to hunt down and kill them and look for that one guy.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

I guess they were hoping to get a shot of her looking angry at the President's words or maybe they thought she would faint again. Ridiculous.
    or yawning or looking at her watch, etc. Which Drudge would splash over the Internet... She's an easy target.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 2-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Did anybody notice all of the Republicans standing to applaud after Bush said something and the Democrats sitting on their hands?

This is truly a divided nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Did anybody notice all of the Republicans standing to applaud after Bush said something and the Democrats sitting on their hands?

This is truly a divided nation.
    It has been for a long time. The Republicans did the same thing to Clinton. It probably happened many times before that, too.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I'm highly skeptical that the President or the Congress have the political will to make meaningful change to Social Security. It hasn't been called the "third rail" all these years for nothing. That section of the speech sounded like a bunch of trial balloons, but I think that was merely a smokescreen. I would bet that the reform proposal is already taking shape in a smoke-free back room. We'll see how far it gets, once the lobbyists get their hands on it.
    I'm skeptical that the Prez will tak eon SS too, but for other reasons.

I can't see this move as anything other than a gift to the Wall Streeters who helped bankroll Bush into the White House. I personally think privatization of SS is a terrible idea. Never mind the fact that, if left completely as-is, SS will continue to pay full benefits through 2042. After that, even, the decrease would be miniscule. That is, again, withOUT any changes. Some tweaking here and there (such as the elimination of the cap on employer's payroll tax) would virtually guarantee full payments to everyone from my generation.

The biggest threat to SS isn't Bush's trumped-up charges that the System is on life-support, it's the constant raiding and pillaging of the SS coffers to fund other bloated government programs.

Concerning the rest of his speech, my friends and I concoted a drinking game:

Every time he said the words "freedom" or "liberty", we took one sip.

Every time he said the word "evildoers", or the phrases "yoke of tyranny" or "yoke of oppression" we drank one shot.

Every time he used the phrase "I looked into his eyes, and I knew he was my friend" we drank two shots.

And had he used the phrase "I looked into his eyes, and I knew he was my friend...are you my friend?" we would have drunken the whole bottle.

Let me tell you, it made the speech MUCh more interesting...

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman

Bush got the only person he cared about...Saddam Hussein.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    then once he got to the gay marriage issue I just got mad.
    I'm glad we have a President trying to ban gay marriage. That issue alone makes me respect Bush more than I actually should

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    Bush got the only person he cared about...Saddam Hussein.
    That's exactly right, only because Saddam offered practically unlimited access to Iraq's oil, and he took a shot at Bush's dad.

Yep, we got the man we wanted allright. :dflynn:

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    I'm glad we have a President trying to ban gay marriage. That issue alone makes me respect Bush more than I actually should
    Yeah...if only we could finally get that gay marriage ban in place, that would fix so many of the problems in our country. I am so glad this administration has their priorities in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    The history books will carry George W. Bush into posterity as the worst two-term President in American history. It's not even close.
    Blah blah blah blah blah...

Liberating 50 million people in Iraq and Afghanistan; overthrowing a homicidal dictator in Saddam Hussein; presenting Iraqis with their first real chance to have a say in their own country through a free vote (which more than 75 percent of the population participated in despite the threat of violence); eradicating the Taliban;

and, my favorite, driving looney liberals crazy. :allovrjr:

Turn Off Ads?