Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daunte Culpepper gives a paralyzed kid a gift, then takes it back

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Daunte Culpepper gives a paralyzed kid a gift, then takes it back

Just a weird story all around. But certainly not flattering to Daunte.

For some reason this just screams like an episode of Seinfeld

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1982747

Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Daunte Culpepper showed off his scrambling ability Wednesday -- in a crowded convention center ballroom.

The Minnesota Vikings quarterback presented a paralyzed high school football player two diamond necklaces worth about $75,000 during an NFL awards ceremony, but then awkwardly asked for them back after it was finished.

The apparent gift prompted a mother to cry, a father to think about buying a safe to store it and Culpepper to find a way out of the mess.

"I'll get him something else," Culpepper said sheepishly.

The confusion began at the FedEx ground and air player of the year honors, where finalists Culpepper, Peyton Manning, Shaun Alexander and Curtis Martin were on stage for the announcement.

When the master of ceremonies opened the floor for questions, Jerry Townsend spoke up from his wheelchair in the front row.

"Hey Daunte, can I get some of that ice?" he said in a low voice, referring to the two sparkling necklaces hanging around Culpepper's neck.

Culpepper jumped up, pulled them off and brought them over to Townsend, a senior defensive back at Jacksonville Episcopal High School who was paralyzed from the neck down while making a tackle in October.

Townsend spent the last four months in various hospitals and was released Wednesday -- just in time to go to the Super Bowl event.

After Culpepper put the necklaces around Townsend's neck, his mother started to cry. His father talked about needing to get a safe for the expensive jewelry.

Culpepper, meanwhile, went back to his seat and finished the awards ceremony (Manning won the air award, and Martin won the ground one). After it was over, Culpepper patiently answered dozens of questions while keeping a close eye on his jewelry across the room.

One of the diamond-laced necklaces was the No. 11, Culpepper's jersey number, and the other was a large pepper (for Culpepper).

"Where's that kid at? I've got to get my stuff back," Culpepper said.

Culpepper then walked over to the Townsends and asked them to write down their address so he could send them something else. Culpepper wasn't sure what it would be.

In an unrelated note, Culpepper will appear in a 60-second NFL Network commercial to air during the Super Bowl along with several other players and coaches from around the league that didn't make it to the big game. They'll be singing "Tomorrow," a tune from the musical "Annie."
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 02-02-2005 at 10:56 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Daunte Culpepper gives a paralyzed kid a gift, then takes it back

Is there a "shaking your head in disgust" smiley?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Is there a "shaking your head in disgust" smiley?

No kidding.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Low..just low, don't put them on his neck if you plan to take them back
    Go Gators!

I hope the media is all over this story. Culselfish needs to be fully exposed for this.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Weird from all sides. First, who expects to just be handed $75,000 worth of jewelry? Sad story about the kid's accident, but I dont understand why he asks that question. I'm not really sure this is all Daunte's fault. He sees a kid in a wheelchair who asks him for some ice, so Daunte's thinking he'll make the kid's day by letting him wear his jewely for the awards show. I'm not sure exactly why the kid expected to be able to keep it. This is just a bizarre incident.

I honestly dont see where Daunte is in the wrong here.... The kid jokingly asks for some "ice" so Daunte lets him wear his jewels for the award ceremony. And no offense, but only a moron would think Daunte would let him walk out with that bling.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

yeah, that's what I said it seems weird from all sides in the first post.

Just odd, and publicity wise, Daunte may have been trying to do the right thing caught up in the moment and let some kid wear his jewelry, and the folks may have taken it a little too literally by thinking he was giving them an expensive piece of "ice".

Weird.

To expect a stranger to give you a $75,000 item seems a lot stranger to me than anything else going on here.

I'm sure Culpepper will send them something outrageous to make up for it, even though I don't really think he did anything wrong here. I know the kid is paralyzed, but seriously who asks something like that?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Maybe Culpepper can get his teammate Randy Moss to smooth things over. Given Moss's PR skills, I'm sure he can take care of it.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

For a Level Playing Field

Sounds like Daunte was trying to be a good guy and probably thought the guy would get a kick out of wearing the necklaces for a time. But, as stated by others, it is outrageous to think someone would give you something that expensive.

Sounds like Daunte tried to be nice and ended up looking (to some) like a bad guy. I highly doubt that he meant to break the guy's heart or come across as cruel. Not the smartest thing for him to do, but I don't think he had any malicious intent. I am sure the guy will get something real nice from Daunte.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Just a weird story all around. But certainly not flattering to Daunte.

For some reason this just screams like an episode of Seinfeld
    It does sound like that one episode Paul O'Neill was on where he was supposed to hit two HRs for that sick kid or else he wouldn't give that card all the Yankees signed back to Kramer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

You guys are right. I read that story late last night right before going to bed and then quickly added my two cents without really thinking about it. It looks like it was a misunderstanding.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Man, if I were Daunte I'd have to take that kid's parents out in the parking lot and work 'em over for making me look like a jerk in the media. Hell, I might even kick that paralyzed kid in the teeth a couple times for good measure.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Well, it looks like an unfortunate misunderstanding. I wouldn't come down too hard on the parents. Think about it, they see a millionaire athlete take off a necklace and give it to their kid. Did he say, "I'll let you borrow this for the ceremony?"

What grown men "lend" their jewelry out? That's pretty uncommon. Plus the parents probably had no idea of the sentimental value of the jewelry to Dante. I think it was a logical (though incorrect) assumption that it was a gift.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?