Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daunte Culpepper gives a paralyzed kid a gift, then takes it back

Re: Daunte Culpepper gives a paralyzed kid a gift, then takes it back

Think about it, they see a millionaire athlete take off a necklace and give it to their kid. Did he say, "I'll let you borrow this for the ceremony?"

What grown men "lend" their jewelry out? That's pretty uncommon. Plus the parents probably had no idea of the sentimental value of the jewelry to Dante. I think it was a logical (though incorrect) assumption that it was a gift.
    Exactly, Redread. Culpepper should have realized it when the mother started to cry and the father talked about buying a safe to store it in. And the kid didn't ask to borrow the necklace; he said, "Can I get some of that ice?"

Say you're riding a bicycle, and some poor kid sees you and asks, "Can I get that bicycle?", would you hand it over to him without a word, or would you say, "No, but I'll let you take a ride on it."?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

The word is presumption on the part of the receivers, they all knew how valuable the stuff was. Here, the reasonable person test seems to be "surely he's not going to let me just keep something this valuable?" followed by utter astonishment if he said "no, I want you to have it, really."

Culpepper is going the extra mile by offering to send them something--it isn't as if they deserve anything.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

what tr said.
    /r/reds

Here, the reasonable person test seems to be "surely he's not going to let me just keep something this valuable?" followed by utter astonishment if he said "no, I want you to have it, really."
    Interesting. I think that kind of reaction is the result of a set of manners and ubringing that not everyone shares.

Regardless, shouldn't Culpepper have noticed when they didn't say anything? Shouldn't that have been a red light to let Culpepper know, "Hey, they might not realize this is just a loaner?" After all, it's his property and his reputation at stake. He should have taken every precaution to make sure these people knew he wasn't actually giving them the necklace.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Interesting. I think that kind of reaction is the result of a set of manners and ubringing that not everyone shares.

Regardless, shouldn't Culpepper have noticed when they didn't say anything? Shouldn't that have been a red light to let Culpepper know, "Hey, they might not realize this is just a loaner?" After all, it's his property and his reputation at stake. He should have taken every precaution to make sure these people knew he wasn't actually giving them the necklace.
    Culpepper got caught up in the moment, ended up in a pretty awkward position where he couldn't win.

As for my reasonable person test, I'm not aware of a set of manners and upbringing that would arrive at the conclusion that someone who throws thousands of dollars in diamonds at a person in a crowd is doing so with the intention of giving them away. I think there is a very low minority (apparently these folks included) that would be that naive. However, I would say that most people would not assume the person was giving such a lavish gift to a total stranger in the crowd and would at least ask a few questions before jumping to a conclusion of what the person's intentions were.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Maybe Culpepper can get his teammate Randy Moss to smooth things over. Given Moss's PR skills, I'm sure he can take care of it.

Randy did have a notable quote recently that would solve this whole PR problem for Duante:

"Straight cash homey."

As for my reasonable person test, I'm not aware of a set of manners and upbringing that would arrive at the conclusion that someone who throws thousands of dollars in diamonds at a person in a crowd is doing so with the intention of giving them away. I think there is a very low minority (apparently these folks included) that would be that naive.
    I have to disagree. I think many people would assume it was being given away, especially if they just got through asking if they could have it.

However, I would say that most people would not assume the person was giving such a lavish gift to a total stranger in the crowd and would at least ask a few questions before jumping to a conclusion of what the person's intentions were.
    I assume you learned a certain set of manners over the years that dictate that this is proper ettiquette. I share that same set of manners -- if someone offered me a lavish gift, I would definitely ask them several times if they were sure they wanted to give me something so extravagant.

However, I don't think that everyone was raised this way. Some people believe it's rude to question a gift. Lots of people would simply accept the gift and say, "Thank you very much."

I think Dante simply should have said "Here, I'll let you wear it for a while" and avoided the whole silly incident.

Johnny,

I find the family's reaction very odd in comparison to widely accepted ethical standards in our culture. Yes, it is considered rude by some to question a gift, but it seems that is more related to de minimis gifts, not handing over jewels.

I'm sure there are some who wouldn't question such a handout, but I think you and I share the most commonly held ethical standard, and it seems Dante does as well. I find no fault with taking them back and think that the substitution offer was generous and unnecessary.

Dante should have learned one lesson in all this--never underestimate that there are folks out there who will take advantage of any situation they can.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Dante should have learned one lesson in all this--never underestimate that there are folks out there who will take advantage of any situation they can.
    Agreed. You'd think he would have learned that back when he signed his first pro contract.

Good follow up on all this:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5221966.html

Looks like bad reporting by the AP.
    http://www.ohiosportsfans.com
    GREAT BENGALS FORUM!

I don't see the appeal of an $100,000 necklace. I think I'd prefer to spend the money on something with real value, like gum or candy .
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by Aceking
    Good follow up on all this:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5221966.html

Looks like bad reporting by the AP.
    Exactly what it was. Dante's a good guy. Truth behold.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Turn Off Ads?