Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OJ Mayo

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

OJ Mayo

Im going to Huntington this weekend to see North College Hill play Parkersburg South at the Vet.

Out of curiosity, has anybody seen Mayo play yet? And if so, what are your thoughts? I havent seen him play since he played in Kentucky back in 8th grade.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: OJ Mayo

Hes only the best player in the Class of 2007, hes nothing special

I haven't seen him play, but you may find this interesting for some more info. about him:

http://bearcatnews.com/recruiting/bio/222/

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatDrew
    Hes only the best player in the Class of 2007, hes nothing special
    And is being mentioned in the same category as LeBron.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

North College Hill (a Div. 2 school) has been whomping the absolute heck out of everyone they've played. Except St. Xavier (a top Div.1 school) who they lost to.

Pay attention to the open sky

I could be wrong, but isn't there a kid playing for North College Hill who's actually putting up better numbers than OJ Mayo? His name escapes me at the moment ...

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    North College Hill (a Div. 2 school) has been whomping the absolute heck out of everyone they've played. Except St. Xavier (a top Div.1 school) who they lost to.
    Andy Furball had this as his topic recently on WLW Sportstalk. He wasn't really questioning the legitamacy of the team, but wondering when it became okay for a kid who lives in Indianapolis to transfer to a school in Cincinnati. Didn't move there with his folks... just decided he wanted to play there.

Of course schools like St. Xavier have a wider than normal "recruiting" area too... say compared to a public school. An age-old argument for sure!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    I could be wrong, but isn't there a kid playing for North College Hill who's actually putting up better numbers than OJ Mayo? His name escapes me at the moment ...
    Bill Walker. He's playing well and is a top prospect as well, but I think his numbers are below Mayo's.

I heard on the sports that they also have a 6'11" guy that started playing Jan. 1.

Pay attention to the open sky

Mayo is no Lebron. Very good player, but no Lebron. Has comparable shooting and 1 vs. 1 skills, but nowhere near Lebron's court vision. That is what has and always will set Lebron apart, and not from Mayo, but from most everybody in NBA history.

I've read several reports that say he's every bit as good as Lebron at this age. ESPN did a special around the new year was something like "Sportscenter of the future" where they looked at the best prep athletes of any age in the country. They had kids from their early teens to seniors in high schoo. OJ Mayo was the only basketball player they profiled. They showed several clips of him and he looks special. BTW, one thing he's much better than Lebron as a youth is shooting. Mayo has a better jump shot than Lebron.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I've read several reports that say he's every bit as good as Lebron at this age. ESPN did a special around the new year was something like "Sportscenter of the future" where they looked at the best prep athletes of any age in the country. They had kids from their early teens to seniors in high schoo. OJ Mayo was the only basketball player they profiled. They showed several clips of him and he looks special. BTW, one thing he's much better than Lebron as a youth is shooting. Mayo has a better jump shot than Lebron.
    They didn't show Greg Oden? He is the best high schooler in the country and he is only a junior. Already 6'11 and they said if he came out this year he'd be the number 1 pick. Was even on ESPN in a HS game in early December (went up against Tyler Hansborough - who is a UNC recruit and the #3 overall recruit in this years class).
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Here's a USA Today article on Oden:

TEANECK, N.J. — Just outside the rectangular lines of the basketball court, adults bearing colorful logos, cellular telephones and conflicting agendas surrounded Greg Oden, the 7-foot, 245-pound 16-year-old already proclaimed The Next Great Big Man.

Not long after Oden's sophomore season at Lawrence North High School in Indianapolis, during the period that led to an unprecedented selection of eight high school players in the first 19 slots of the NBA draft, the speculation, private and persistent, was that Oden would have been Commissioner David Stern's first handshake had he been eligible.

Even as the name of the prospective psychology major is placed atop the mock draft lists, circa 2006, Oden sends a 20th-century message no one seems to hear:

"I know what I want to do," Oden said quietly. "I want to go to college."

The words were recorded and scribbled into notepads by those observing him here this month at the annual ABCD camp for high school players. But do they register? Oden averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds and made 71% of his shots for a Lawrence North team that won Indiana's Class 4A championship.

The emerging issue of the 2006 NBA draft is whether Oden remains willing to postpone his fortune.

The night of the draft last month, as Oden watched the high-priced parade of his peers, this is what he was thinking: "I wanted Jameer Nelson to go higher. I just like him. He's a real good player."

That would be the national college player of the year and former point guard at Saint Joseph's. Nelson, a four-year product who took his name out of the 2003 draft to return for an inspiring, undefeated regular season, was rewarded with the No. 20 position, seven costly slots behind high school point guard Sebastian Telfair, whose considerable gifts do not yet include a reliable jump shot.

The more Oden the person was on display, the more his support for Nelson made sense.

As dramatic and imposing as Oden's shot-blocking ability can be, the subtleties to his game include the way he recognizes a teammate's pass after a basket.

As Oden hurries back to the defensive end, he bends his right elbow, holds his right hand near his chest and points to his teammate, a gesture far more personal than theatrical.

His name has already been placed on the short list alongside Indiana's reverence-requiring products Oscar Robertson and Larry Bird. When asked to evaluate his play at the camp, Oden said, "We won. It's a team sport so you've got to keep it that way."

Mike Conley, the Olympic gold medal-winning triple jumper, coaches Oden's AAU basketball team. His son, Mike, is an AAU and high school teammate.

"In Greg's eyes, he has a whole lot to improve on," the elder Conley said. "It's not like he is the end-all. He's not into the hype, the showboating that other kids are into."
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

For those who dont know much about who OJ Mayo is, I can offer a bit of information seeing him play in Kentucky.

Before Mayo came to Cincinnati, he starred at Rose Hill Christian Academy in Ashland, KY, a small school that averages 400 total students K-12. I attended RH from K-5th grade before I was pulled out for other reasons.

Rose Hill raised an eyebrow three years ago when Mayo was in the 7th grade when they hired Jeff Hall as their head coach. Hall was a local legend who played for a small public school in the area called Fairview. Hall went on to play for the Louisville Cardinals and win a national championship. He later returned to Ashland to become the Ashland Tomcats head coach, then left there after one season to become an assistant coach for Louisville.

I first saw Mayo play against one of the powerhouse teams in the region, Boyd County. Rose Hill won the game rather convincingly, and stole the storylines for weeks with this win. Two wins against the most historied basketball team in the state of Kentucky, the Ashland Tomcats(one of which I attended was a buzzerbeater by Mayo to win the game), and OJ Mayo is the talk of the state, drawing ESPN to do a documentary on Kentucky basketball.

Rose Hill didnt expect Mayo to do much his first season, so they had scheduled some weak opponents, even though they managed to get into a competitive tournament in Huntington, losing to Spring Valley first round. The scheduling hurt the Royals in the late run, as they lost the district and regional titles to Ashland.

Because Rose Hill was a Christian school, and had no boundaries to which kids could play, Mayos transfer was seriously questioned by other area schools, as well as the KHSAA. Even though everything checked out fine, Ashland, Raceland, Rowan County(Morehead) and Boyd County refused to play Rose Hill the next year, and Ashland and BC decided to forfeit their two district games in the process.

Rose Hill used the opportunity to schedule themselves against superior opponents in the state, including Lexington Cathoic(a school with the same situation, but far more advanced), and Fort Thomas Highlands(Ross Neltner). Also, they were invited to the King of the Bluegrass tournament as well as the Lexington Catholic 5/3 Tournament.

Another story that season was the transfer of an 8th grader from Huntington by the name of Bill Walker(yes, same one). Walker was very raw at the time, but he enlightened the crowds with his thunderous dunks. I saw Rose Hill play in the Class A tournament against Raceland, and Walker made an amazing spin move and dunk on a player. Definitely talented.

Walker and Mayo both upped and left Rose Hill that year, Walker went to NCH before the season was over, and Mayo left after the season finished. Jeff Hall resigned as head coach a week later, and some players who transferred to Rose Hill to play with Mayo also left and went to other schools so they could be recognized.

Now, enough about the schools, here Mayo,

The guy has one of the prettiest jump shots I have ever seen(MWMs post doesnt do it justice). He was dunking the ball since the 6th grade, which obviously got a lot of attention. He has a tireless work ethic and is really pushed by his father.

I disagree with fil on Mayo not being close to LeBron, in fact, he could be better than LeBron. While LeBrons strength is his court vision, Mayos is not far behind, but Mayo is a WAY more polished jump shooter than LeBron was at this time.

Puffy, Mayo is only a sophomore. He was the only basketball player I saw on this particular show. I've heard of Oden before, but don't know that much about him. Mayo is a rare talent that goes beyond being the best player at a given point in time. He's one of those "once-in-a-decade" type of players in the mold of Lebron. He averaged 27 points a game last year as a freshman in a fairly competitive league.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Here's an article about the Reebok camp last year where both players were:

Reebok ABCD Camp From Thursday
    by Staff on July 09, 2004
    Thursday was the first day of games. Coming in, the most popular players at the camp are OJ Mayo, Greg Oden, Tasmin Mitchell, and Andray Blatche. However, when the dust settled, the most productive player on Thursday was Gerald Green. He's a 6’7 wing from Gulf Shore Academy in Houston Texas. Green led the camp in scoring with 24 ppg and had the highest player rating of everyone at the camp.

The most impressive player on Thursday was 2007 OJ Mayo. He averaged 17 points a game and led the camp in assists. His game is smooth and effortless. He displayed a nice shooting touch from everywhere on the court. He outplayed 2007 rivals Taylor King and Corey Fisher in his first two games, and solidified his spot atop the 2007 class.

Leo Criswell displayed his athletic ability and lit up the scoreboard to the tune of 19 points per game. Criswell has been on the receiving end of a lot of nice passes from California’s Seketoure Henry. Criswell was the third leading scorer behind Gerald Green and Nate Minnoy. We told you that Minnoy was one of the most underrated players in the country and he is making us look good. He's built like an NFL linebacker, but he has the mobility of an elite basketball player. He is punishing players with his powerful drives and just plain out punking opponents with his brute strength in the post.

Top 10 Players After Thursday

OJ Mayo- Cincinnati (North College Hill) OH
    Gerald Green-Gulf Shores (TX)
    Leo Criswell—Piper (MO)
    Daequan Cook—Dunbar (OH)
    Eric Devendorf Oak Hill (MI)
    Tasmin Mitchell—Denham Springs (LA)
    Nate Minnoy—Hales Granciscan (IL)
    Greg Oden—Lawrence North (IN)
    Monte Ellis—Lanier (MS)
    Shawn Williams—Lauringburg (NC)

Turn Off Ads?