Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OJ Mayo

Re: OJ Mayo

And finally, NBADRAFT.COM has OJ ahead of Oden:

Last year the ABCD camp produced 8 of the first 19 picks in the 2004 NBA draft, while this camp obviously wonít produce that type of number in next yearís draft, there was certainly a huge amount of talent on hand, below is a list of the top prospects on hand:

OJ Mayo
    1. OJ Mayo 6í5 190 PG North College Hill H.S. (OH) (2007) -- Has been dubbed the "next LeBron" and he showed why with his performance last week. He was easily one of the 10 best players in camp and he is only going to be a sophomore next year. He continued his show in the Underclassmen All-Star game scoring 19 points and dishing out 5 assists to earn his teamís Co-MVP along with his high school teammate Billy Walker. Going into the camp I was under the impression that Mayo was just a scorer, but he showed he is a point guard who will constantly look to get his teammates involved. He scores a lot because he is already so skilled and talented. He is one of the better shooters in high school basketball, handles the ball extremely well, and has a quick first step with pretty good athleticism. Simply put he is a tough match up. He is so good it is really tough to pinpoint a weakness in his game. If I were a college coach I wouldn't even waste my time recruiting him.

Greg Oden

2. Greg Oden 7í0 245 C Lawrence North H.S. (IN) (2006) -- The first thing that stands out about his game is his incredible athleticism for a 7 footer. Right now I compare him to Theo Ratliff, he doesnít have much of an offensive game but heís very athletic and a monster on the defensive end. It's obvious why people are saying he will be the top pick in the 2006 draft. If he adds just one post move he will be absolutely unstoppable at this level, and will have an impact in the NBA from day 1.

Derrick Caracter

3. Derrick Caracter 6í9 285 PF St Patrickís H.S. (NJ), (2006) -- Came out the big winner in his head to head battle against Oden, showing off his amazing combination of skill and brut strength. He can knock down the 3, hit the mid range jumper, score on anybody in the post, handle the ball like a guard and he passes just as well. A lot of people like to focus on athleticism when judging a players talent, but his immense skill level to go with his size and strength make up for his lack of great athleticism.

Gerald Green

4. Gerald Green 6í8 215 SF Gulf Shore Academy (TX) (2005) -- Despite being a top 50 player nationally, Green was flying under the radar somewhat heading into camp. After his brilliant week that has definitely changed. I was unfamiliar with him, but all it took was one game for me to call him my favorite player in camp. At the conclusion of camp he was easily the best player, in my mind, leading the camp in scoring by nearly 2 points a game with his 19.1 average. He was also one the MVPs of the Senior All-Star game with his game high 27 points. Not only does he have world class athleticism, he is also a very good 3 point shooter, and he doesnít neglect his mid range game. Now he doesnít have a great handle but it is serviceable which allows him to beat weak to average defenders off the bounce. This guy is so good, that when you compare him right now to Josh Smith at this time last year it is tough to say who is the better of the two.

Billy Walker
    Photo: NYHoops.com

5. Billy Walker 6í5 180 SF North College Hill H.S. (OH) (2007) -- His nickname isnít ďSkyĒ for no reason. The high school teammate of OJ Mayo really rises. Not only does he throw down some nasty dunks, he can also knock down the three. Walkerís 22 point performance in the Underclassmen All-Star game was enough to earn Co-MVP with Mayo. He is a decent ball handler but not great. Had a head to head match up with Brandon Rush at the camp, and from my view point he definitely came out on top. By the time his senior year rolls around he and Mayo could be both announcing their decisions to skip college and go to the NBA.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

The fact that Mayo is ahead of Oden and Derrick Caracter is truly amazing, great to see Bill Walker on that list too.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

OJ Mayo is a baller, that is all you need to know, you should have a great time watching him. :gac:

I must confess that when I read the title of this thread I wondered if OJ Simpson was marketing his own brand of mayonaise.

I think I'd change my name.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

NCH won today 116-32
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    NCH won today 116-32
    Yep, against Seven Hills.

Mayo had 19 points (three 3s); Walker had 25.

Enjoy your trip to Huntington, WVRed, and while you're there, give the "old lady" (Veterans Memorial Field House) a hug for me. Played many a game there when I was in high school. High school doubleheaders on Friday nights would fill the place when Logan and Williamson would come to town. Was an electric atmosphere for high school basketball. Had some of my best scoring games, ever, there. Have a fond place in my heart for the Field House.

Interesting article in the Post today about the NCH team and how they're disputing allegations that they recruited their transfers...

http://www.cincypost.com/2005/02/05/...2-05-2005.html
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

One thing I have heard, but am not sure about is OJ Mayo's age. I have heard from several people that he is a 17 year old sophomore. I was wandering if anybody privy to the situation might know. To put this in perspective, Lebron avg. 20, 5, and 5 as a 19 year old rookie and this year, having just turned 20, he will get serious consideration to be the NBA's MVP. I am NOT saying Mayo isn't spectacular, but I think comparisons to Lebron at this time are premature. Remember when every year the media was annoiting the 'next Jordan?' It will be the same thing with Lebron, but as the search for the next Jordan showed, it's a lot rarer for the next big thing to actually materalize.

North College Hill won vs. Parkersburg South, 106-66.

Mayo scored 27; Walker scored 20.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    North College Hill won vs. Parkersburg South, 106-66.

Mayo scored 27; Walker scored 20.
    Just got back from the game, whew, what a night.

Im a little bit tired after working this morning then driving 2 1/2 hours one way to watch the game, so ill post my analysis tomorrow afternoon.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

OK, while its still fresh.

Went to the Vet last night and watched both games. The first one(Lexington Bryan Station vs Martinsburg) was a yawner. The fieldhouse filled up pretty quickly for the nightcap.

I sat on the Parkersburg South side, and there were people all around me who wasn't pulling for anybody in particular, they were just there to see OJ. Roy Edmund, the Patriots head coach, said in the paper he just told the kids to go out there and have fun.

Pre-game warmups started, Mayo and company put on a clinic. It drew so much attention that South couldnt warm up for watching what the other team was doing.

Pros of the game-

Three words can describe the entire game perfectly, OH MY GOD. I dont know how many times I said that last night. I had seen Mayo and Walker play in middle school, but both, especially Walker, have greatly improved. Mayo was more polished than his days at Rose Hill, faking Patriot defenders out twice before launching a three, some of which were 10 feet out.

While Mayo was the focal point, Walker was the crowd pleaser. With 11 seconds left to go, Walker did an over the back tomahawk on an inbounds pass that caused the Vet to erupt. Walker also had several baseline dunks that were highlight worthy as well.

Another player who stood out was Keenan Ellis, the 6'11 transfer from Indianapolis. For a player who is almost 7'0, this guy is skinny and ran the court like a gazelle for a big man. Scout.com had him ranked 19th, but if he improves from playing with Mayo and Walker, that could very well change.

Cons of the game-

Two things stood out in my mind, the first one being the head coach, Jamie Mahaffey. Of course, I could say Mayo got exactly what he wanted in a coach who just stood by and let Mayo do whatever he wanted. I remember times at Rose Hill where Hall would get up in Mayos face if he didnt do something he wanted done, this didnt happen last night. The fact that Mayo and Walker were not pulled until 4 minutes left to go in the 4th quarter when the game was already over was baffling as well.

The other thing that stood out was the constant crowdpleasing attempts. Im not real sure on figures, but NCH turned over the ball plenty of times on what was nothing more than out of control passes trying to set up a big finish. Im all for the slam dunk, but if its going to cost you a game or a player(Bill Walker got hurt last night after trying to dunk after Mayo slammed the ball on the floor trying for a big finish). It looked like cramps, but regardless, all of the starters were pulled after that stunt.

Make no mistake about it, NCH is beatable, but its going to take players that 1.wont get rattled, or 2.can play team defense and slow the pace down. With Mayo and Walker trying for the highlight reel material, it makes it easier to intercept passes.

After seeing Mayo, ive come to the conclusion that he isnt in the same field as LeBron, but more of the Kobe Bryant mold. He can average 30-40 PPG, 7-8 RPG, along with the steals and assists to boot.

In conclusion, if you live in the Cincinnati area, or if Mayo is coming to a town near you, get tickets to see this team play, regardless of if you think what NCH is doing is right or wrong. This is a once in a lifetime player to watch.

:MandJ:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/2005/.../07/LSspot.htm

HUNTINGTON -- O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, along with their North College Hill teammates, got what they wanted the past two weekends with road trips to Charleston and Huntington.

Bill Walker slams the ball Sunday during North College Hill's game against Bryan Station High School, of Lexington, Ky., breaking the hoop and ending Border Battle 2.

The Trojans went 3-0 and along the way Mayo and Walker, sophomores and Huntington natives, treated the friends and fans to spectacular play after spectacular play. As a matter of fact, a rim-breaking dunk by Walker with 6:53 left in the fourth period Sunday brought an end to the finale against Lexington Bryan Station at Veterans Memorial Field House.

After a 20-minute delay to fix the rim, the repair couldnít be made, so coaches and officials decided to call the game, giving North College Hill a 74-39 victory in the wrapup to Border Battle 2 in front of an estimated 1,100 fans. Science Hill, out of Johnson City, Tenn., beat Lexington Lafayette, 68-60, in the opener.

"Thatís my first rim," Walker said. "It scared me. I heard that bolt snap and I didnít know what to think."

By that point, Mayo and Walker had given everyone who made the trips to the Charleston Civic Center Coliseum and field house plenty of memories to think about until the Trojans return next season.

"It was fun to come home and play in front of the fans and get three wins," Mayo said. "I enjoyed seeing everybody and I hoped they enjoyed the games."

Mayo, 6-6 forward, hit 8-of-12 shots from the field and 12-of-16 free throws for 28 points to go with 12 rebounds Sunday. Walker, also 6-6, converted 9-of-11 shots -- mostly dunks -- and 1-of-2 foul shots for 19 points along with 10 rebounds.

North College Hill (18-1) returns to Cincinnati now to finish the regular season and get ready for tournament play. The Trojans, who are No. 1 in Ohio Division III, went unbeaten a year ago, but lost in the first round of tournament.

"Thatís our goal," Mayo said, referring of advancing to Columbus for the state tournament. "Thatís been our mission from day one."

"Back to work. Weíre on a mission," Walker added.

North College Hill coach Jamie Mahaffey said the two road trips and back-to-back games will help the Trojans come tournament time.

"In Charleston (81-64 win over Beckley with just two varsity starters), we learned how to work through hard times," Mahaffey said. "We showed we are a family.

"Huntington was good. Our A team was back. Weíve matured more. Playing back-to-back is tough, but itís what you have to do. You have to be ready. We were a little sloppy at the start, but we picked it up at the end. The guys have accepted their roles and do their jobs." The Trojans blitzed Parkersburg South, 106-66, on Saturday night.

Mahaffey said his two standouts made the most of the trips and didnít let the pressure get to them.

"They were a little nervous at the start," he said. "I told them just go out and have fun."

The intensity showed Sunday as the two teams combined for five technical fouls.

"You compete. There were some hard fouls, things come to a point and youíre not playing ball," Walker said. "Itís up to the refs."

"Itís intense, two teams playing hard," said Mayo, the Ohio Division III player of the year last season. "Things happen, but you know when to stop."

Bryan Station coach Bill Brown said keeping cool in heated moments is key.

"When you get there (drive down the lane), itís business," he said. "If you bring it, fine. But itís all business.

"It was a really big game and our inexperience showed. Give them credit. They made the shots and we didnít. They (Mayo and Walker) are very good players."

Tino Washington led the Defenders (14-8) with 13 points. They shot 14-of-54 for 25.9 percent.

Mayo and Walker cut down on autographs and pictures Sunday so they could board the bus for the ride home.

"We got to share time with family and friends," Walker said. "That was special. I think the games lived up to everything. I couldnít have asked for anything better. Itís tough to say goodbye, but weíll see everyone again next time."

"You donít say goodbye," Mayo said. "Itís weíll see you again soon."
    Last edited by WVRed; 02-07-2005 at 09:16 AM.

Bill Walker is going to UC just so you know

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatDrew
    Bill Walker is going to UC just so you know
    Got anything to back this up? I heard he liked UC, but hes still two years away from being a senior, and the NBA is a definitely possibility for both players.

On another note. Im hoping for an Ironton-North College Hill final in Columbus. Irontons coach, Roger Zornes, was head coach at Boyd County when Mayo was at Rose Hill and bolted for Ironton right after the season was over. Zornes was also one of the two area coaches who instigated the boycott against Rose Hill. To see Mayo and Walker light up the Tigers would be perfect justice.

Turn Off Ads?