Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Official "We Hate Leon!!!" aka Super Bowl thread

Re: The Official "We Hate Leon!!!" aka Super Bowl thread

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I didn't think the announcers were bad at all... they discussed each play, what went wrong (when applicable), what could have been done better. Perhaps you could explain exactly what you expect?
    Excitement, insight, no mention of "I'd rather flip burgers than play for Cincinnati" (which he did, for millions), expert analysis, Collinsworth to act like he was enjoying himself, Buck to act like he cared

The announcing gave nothing more than basic information that the average fan would be able to glean for themselves. These clowns did little more than report what we were already seeing. For example, what was happening off camera? What games within the game were going on? Oh that's right, Fresh Prince was there, Paul McCartney was there, Bill Clinton was there, the Eagles owner was happy when his team did good, the Patriots owner was happy when his team did good. Better show them in the sky box just one more time. Very poor production , FOX fell flat on its face, IMNSEO.

...there's a start
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Joe Buck ... blech , except in the 'Leon' commercial.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

As always, I'm late to the RedsZone party, but I had two reasons for hoping the Eagles won:

1. Leon. This needs no explanation.

2. The Bengals beat the Eagles 38-10 on the last weekend of the regular season, and did so in Philadelphia, no less. It was the most points scored against the Eagles all season, and the third-least points they had scored all season. Yes, I know all the Eagles best players didn't play, but the history books won't show that. They'll just show that Philadelphia lost 38-10 to Cincinnati on the last day of the regular season. To have had the Eagles go on to become Super Bowl Champions would have made that win all that much sweeter.

Two final thoughts:

3. Couldn't Leon have been traded to Arizona or somebody? Gosh, I hate to see this turd enjoy success.

4. It was nice to see former Bengal Dan Ross's Super Bowl record for receptions stand for one more year. It was tied tonight, but he still shares the record. And he was a tight end, no less.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I cracked up at the monkey commercial when they put the whoppie cushion on the guy's chair. The facial expression on the monkey next to the guy just made me crack up.

The best commercial for me was when everyone in the airport applauded the military personnel.

I really like the new convertible Cadi's
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Loved the cat commercial (Ameriquest) also. Like the Cadi commercials, thought the Bud commercial applauding the returning troops was great.

The BigDaddy(?) commercial was stupid and degrading.

I usually find the half-time shows boreing so, as usual, I passed on watching that part.

Did anyone else think that there were an awful lot of players slipping and falling on that field?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Did anyone else think that there were an awful lot of players slipping and falling on that field?

Rem
    Absolutely! I commented on it during the game. Was the field wet or something? Perhaps it had rained earlier. They did say it was a cool evening... dew maybe.

The half time show was one of the best they've had in a long long time.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    no mention of "I'd rather flip burgers than play for Cincinnati" (which he did, for millions),
    But they did mention this. I had just mentioned it to my girlfriend when they brought it up on the air.

Congratulations to Corey Dillon for finally getting that illusive ring. He was a huge part of the Patriots success this season, and his alleged "me first" attitude certainly didn't tear the clubhouse apart as many Bengals fans predicted would happen.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Congratulations to Corey Dillon for finally getting that illusive ring. He was a huge part of the Patriots success this season, and his alleged "me first" attitude certainly didn't tear the clubhouse apart as many Bengals fans predicted would happen.
    Actually, many Bengal fans, myself included, were quite certain he'd be a model citizen in New England. It's not that hard to be good when you play for the best team in the NFL and the defending Super bowl champs. Plus, I think he was determined to "prove his reputation wrong."

I was one of Corey's biggest defenders in Cincinnati clear until his last year there. I thought he got a bad rap in Cincinnati and I didn't have much problem with anything he said or did. But his last year he really crossed the line with his antics and he was impossible to defend. But because he was well-behaved this year doesn't at all take away from some of the things he did in Cincinnati. Those will be there forever.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I never paid any attention to it, but I've been under the impression that Dillon hit the point where he was sick to death of Cincinnati. Sometimes that happens. A player gets to the point where he hates everything about where he is and even playing a game for a living becomes a chore. BTW, as picky as the Patriots are about character and intelligence my guess is they thought the Bengals had put a bum rap on Dillon or they'd never have tried to acquire him in the first place.

MWM, one thing I heard about Brady dating back to the 2000 season (and this came from a former colleague of mine who covers the Pats) was that it was no accident the team turned on a dime the second Brady took over the QB job. Supposedly the team didn't get Belichick until that happened. He'd come up with these complex gameplans and they'd fall apart on the field every week, but when Brady took over he became the conduit through which the team began to absorb what Belichick was talking about. He's able to translate the gameplan into action. When the coaching staff makes game adjustments, he understands them instantly and makes sure the rest of the offense does as well.

As the story got related to me, even the defense picked up on it. They'd see Brady picking apart all the opponent weaknesses the coaching staff had outlined and executing the gameplan flawlessly and that helped sell them on the system.

So I agree he's in a great spot, but I think he's also proving to be the perfect guy for that spot. I sincerely doubt either Brady or Belichick wants to consider football without the other at any point in the near future.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    So I agree he's in a great spot, but I think he's also proving to be the perfect guy for that spot.
    Actually, that's pretty much what I believe about Brady. I believe he's a great fit for that system. My only issue is when I hear people saying that because his team wins that propels him above great QBs like Peyton Manning and puts him in a class with the Joe Montana's and John Elway's of the world. I just can't stand that line of thinking. Actually, it's not that different from the arguments we hear regarding pitchers and winning. "They just know how to win." The logic ignores how all the other factors that go into winning. It implies that the only difference between winning and losing is the QB. I like to think about sports a little deeper than that. It seems that if I'm watching one of the all-time greats, i ought to be able to tell. I noticed earlier in the season how much time he was getting to throw, so in the playoffs I started timing. He consistently gets 5-7 seconds and he usually takes it. There's not another QB in the NFL, except for Trent GReen in Kansas City who gets near that amount of time. It's much easier to picka apart a defense when you get that much time. I'll be a bigger believer in Brady when he is forced to play with a less dominant line and for a less dominant defense.

I have no problem giving him props for his success, but I don't believe that he's the primary driver beind their success. I just can't ignore the fact that they have one of the stingiest defenses I've seen in a long time and that they are probably the best coached team I've seen since Bill Walsh's 49ers.

It's like I said before. The hyperbole I keep hearing about Brady implies that if he were QBing the Colts, THEY would have won the SB while if Manning were QBing the Pats, they would have lost. Sorry, but there are several QBs who would be able to win playing for the Pats. Watching John Elway through the late 80s and early 90s was watching a QB almost single handedly win. Wathcing Tom Brady is not the same. He's good, but he's not one of the all-time greats.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I'm with MWM here. I think the minority saw him being a jerk in New England---in the short term and especially if there was success. So far, he is still a newlywed with the Pats, but a bitter tree cannot bring forth sweet fruit, and that is one bitter dude who will show it, eventually. Just wait until the first time he has a sharp disagreement with something that happens in the organization that directly affects him. If I were a betting man...
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?