Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Congrats to the NFL...

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Congrats to the NFL...

Tom Brady is the Greg Maddux of the NFL...but WITH THE RINGS.

He just gets it done. (I was rooting for the Eagles, but...the Pats were superior).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Today is the greatest day of the year.

Pro football officially moves off the radar for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan

What, are you kidding? There's the Pro Bowl next week and then there is going to be specualtion about the draft then the draft itself in April. Then you have mini-camps. Then on June 1 they will cut guys because of salary cap purposes and not too long after that there will be training camp then it starts all over again. Like it or not, the NFL does a good job of keeping interest up during the off-season.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    /\ Agrees, full revenue sharing is the only answer, no salary cap or floor will help as much
    Adding my voice in agreement as well. The YES network provides Steinbrenner with a good chunk of the funds he uses on the Yankees. FSN Ohio and other similar networks just can't compete with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Well except David Klingler doesn't quarterback that team, Tom Brady does. He now has 3 rings, has the lowest turnover ratio in NFL postseason history (better than Starr), and is 10-1 in postseason play. And he's well on his way to the Hall of Fame. The only thing he didn't do today was get his 3rd MVP trophy. What does he have to do to convince you people?
    Don't forget another guy who is coming back wo is *also* 10-1 in the playoffs.

Mr. Belichick.

Sorry, I've been hearing now after each Super Bowl they win why the Patriots won't be coming back...they've lost this, that and the other. I'm not saying for certain they WILL be back in '06, but I certainly am not writing them off either.

And, yes, Tom Brady is amazing. Not a superstar on the level of Favre or Vick or McNabb...but he's got the rings that those guys don't have.

i remember listening to a game while on the way to work last year between the Reds and the Cardnals. the cards were getting base hits when they needed them, putting in the right pitchers when needed (depressing to see their relievers with ERAs a bit above 3.00, while we were lucky to have any below 5.00).
    anyway, as the cardnals were meticulously chipping away at a reds lead, Marty said the Cards were a true professional team, one which could get the job done whenever needed.
    that statement is exactly what i think when i see the Patriots. yeah, they have their share of superstars, but most of their players are there to simply get the job done. frankly, it is rather amazing to watch a team like that perform. a dynasty indeed.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Contribute more to his teams wins than his coaching staff does.

I've never seen a team before that has more talent on the sidelines than on the field of play until this Patriots team.

If I'm starting a team I take that front office and Bill Belichek. Brady's an afterthought.
    While I agree that coaching staffs are WAY more important in football than in baseball, I REALLY have to disagree with you on this, a whole bunch. I'll take the Pats team as it is and cobble together a coaching staff...and still compete for a ring year in and year out. But I do think Brady's overrated. Dillon on the other hand....

I suspect that the players will start wanting money now instead of doingt he whole team thing, and in fact, that Patriots will not three-peat. Now thats not to say they won't succeed and have a good season, but I could see them falling to 10-6 or 9-7 and a first round playoff exit next year.

I do agree with the main sentement though, the NFL does more to make its self popular than any league out there. My beloved MLB could take a few lessons.

ws1990reds

We wouldn't be calling the Patriots a 'dynasty' if the Eagles' watch have been set off of this atomic watch.

It's simple for me, I have nothing against Brady (hey, I attend the University of Michigan). BUt based on my watching of the games, that offensive line is one of the best i've seen in years. In the playoffs this year I started actually timing how long he had to throw the ball. He consistently has 6-7 seconds to throw the ball. That's why I said Klingler could QB the team. There's not a QB alive who couldn't find open receivers given the time he's given. Have you ever seen Tom Brady leave the pocket to make a play. It never happens because he never has to. That's not to say Brady isn't very good, but just because his team wins does not propel HIM, as opposed to the team, to the ranks of the all-time greats. HE doesn't win games, his team does. And even if you break it down a step further and ask if the offense or the defense has more to do with the success of the Pats, you'd have to say the defense is more responsible. There's at least 5 QBs in the NFL I'd rather have than Brady if I'm starting a team. Surely people realize there's much more a team's success than the QB. It's one of those things that just because his team wins, they thing that the QB must be responsible. If you put any one of a bunch of QBs in the situation Brady's in, they'd do just as well if not better. And if you put Brady in a situation where he's relied on to make things happen without the supporting cast he has, I don't think he'd be all that successful. That's just my opinion based on watching over the last few years. There's much more to football than the QB.
    Last edited by MWM; 02-07-2005 at 10:06 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    While I agree that coaching staffs are WAY more important in football than in baseball, I REALLY have to disagree with you on this, a whole bunch. I'll take the Pats team as it is and cobble together a coaching staff...and still compete for a ring year in and year out. But I do think Brady's overrated. Dillon on the other hand....
    Hmn, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then because I don't feel that the Pats team would fare nearly as well without that coaching staff. Don't get me wrong, I think they have a solid talent base.

But that team doesn't play as well with another coaching staff. And that team doesn't get put together to stay together without that front office. They're the NFL version of Moneyball (heh...that should rile some folks).

I don't necessarily think that Brady is overrated. He's the QB on a three-time Super Bowl champ so he's going to get a lot of the credit showered onto him. Heck, he gets credit for winning an AFC Championship game he got knocked out of. But he's not a "scare you to death" QB. Dillon? Eh. Two SB's without him. One with him.

Eh. IMHO, the three most important players on that team (in no order) are Rodney Harrison, Deion Branch, and Troy Brown. But the two most important components of that football team are its front office and coach.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I agrre with MWM. What was it Paul Brown said about the game being won in the trenches?

Also...
    Comparing Brady with Bledsoe is problematic, as they have different philophies about the QB position...

Bledsoe - play hard run when you need to, make something happen - Now!, take the hits.
    Brady - analyze the D, don't throw an Int, didn't get a first, don't worry, we'll get the ball again.

That's the same type of attitude that got Baltimore their championship. I don't think Belicheck could have won with Bledsoe, or Vick, or McNabb, or... But if you replace Brady with Dilfer, or Manning, or even Palmer I think the Pats could still win.

It's more about Belicheck's system, and fitting into it. Looking at the raw gifts, Brady is not as good as some of the others, but he fit's the system perfectlly. In NE Belicheck has the players that fit the system, he may not have had that elsewhere...

That's what's interesting about next season, with the O and D coordinators gone, how with Belicheck's system change, and will the Pat's fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan

No it doesn't. There is the draft and free agency to be talked about all year around. It is the greatest show on earth! Bar None. The NFL has the NFL Network. Will baseball ever have this? Nope!

Brady absolutely should be mentioned with the best that have ever played the QB position. He has never had an All-Pro player on offense unitl this year, and that streak was broken by Corey Dillon who is an alternate for the Pro Bowl this year. Along the way, he has compiled a 9-0 career playoff record, a 78% winning percentage, and the 7th highest passer rating in the history of the NFL.

While he has had some good defenses, this New England defense would never be confused with the Steel Curtain or any other truly dominating defense. Heck, year in and year out, you could find a handful of defenses that are better than NE. I agree that the front office and coaching staff is the best in the NFL, but Tom Brady is the person who brings it all together on the field. The best comparison I heard for Tom Brady over this whole year wasn't another NFL player, but instead NY Yankee SS Derek Jeter.

Brady absolutely should be mentioned with the best that have ever played the QB position.
    When you say "with the best that have ever played the QB position..." are you talking about the best 100 or the best 10? Because if we're talking about the best 100, we can scoot him in there. If we're talking about the best ten? Well...no.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?