Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to the NFL...

Re: Congrats to the NFL...

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    That's insane.
    Well, I'm in good company, last week I heard John Madden say the same thing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    And while you are at it, tell Ted Williams he's been banned from Cooperstown.
    We're not talking about baseball outfielders, we're talking about NFL quarterbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    That's like saying Troy Aikman was a far better QB than Dan Marino. Hogwash.
    Well, as a Packerfan who watched Aikman best Brett several times in the playoffs during the 90's I obviously have a high opinion of Aikman. But iManning is not Marino. Marino got to the superbowl and won playoff games on the road, Manning hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Well, as a Packerfan who watched Aikman best Brett several times in the playoffs during the 90's I obviously have a high opinion of Aikman. But iManning is not Marino. Marino got to the superbowl and won playoff games on the road, Manning hasn't.
    I see...so using your logic:

Bradshaw>Brady>Montana>Aikman>Favre>Dilfer>Brad Johnson>Marino>Jake Delhomme>Doug Williams>Manning

Only makes sense if the NFL regular season doesn't exist.

Well, sorry. It does.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Until he can win a game outside of his friendly little dome, Peyton Manning cannot be considered a great quarterback.

He's won five of them outside his friendly little dome - that's just counting this year.

A great team can make a QB easier than a great QB can make a team.
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-07-2005 at 07:25 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    He's won five of them outside his friendly little dome - that's just counting this year.

Please don't misquote me- I said a "playoff" game. Thats the whole point of my arguement.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    That's insane.
    Heres a few more "insane" statements about Brady by some people who know a little bit about the game.

"Tom Brady may not be a guy that people want to put in the upper echelon of quarterbacks, but in my mind he should be No. 1,"
    Donovan McNabb

"With three Super Bowls, he has to be a lead pipe lock, (for the hall of fame)" "He is the best big-game player I have ever seen."
    ESPN analyst and former quarterback Ron Jaworski

"Tom has to be at the top," said inside linebacker Roman Phifer. "There are other guys like (Indianapolis quarterback Peyton) Manning who maybe have better statistics as quarterbacks go, but as far as wins and losses, I don't think there's anybody better than Tom Brady. "He knows how to do it in big games and he's a winner,"

``Greatness is determined by success over the years. But Tommy is off to one helluva start, isn't he? But because our offense is the way it is, we never ask a quarterback to throw 50 touchdown passes. I'm not slighting Peyton Manning because he had a phenomenal year. With us Tommy has to manage the team and make plays. That's what he does and it doesn't matter what kind of game we ask him to play.''
    Charlie Weis, the outgoing offensive coordinator

"Eventually Tom Brady will have to be seen as the greatest quarterback of his generation. Too much is still made of the players like Peyton Manning, who is a fine regular-season quarterback but a big-game fraud. Much of the talk all year was about a rookie quarterback in Pittsburgh named Ben Roethlisberger, but Roethlisberger collapsed in the playoffs.

They talk, too, about McNabb and Michael Vick and all the other big new things who are supposed to change football. Then the biggest game of the year came along again and the only one left was a backup quarterback from Michigan named Tom Brady. "
    Les Carpenter
    Seattle Times

I can find a lot more if you want, but when someone like Ron Jaworski calls Brady the best big game player hes ever seen , what more needs be said.

Until he can win a playoff game outside of his friendly little dome, Peyton Manning cannot be considered a great quarterback. It doesn't make any difference how many touchdown passes you throw against the Bengals in your dome in October, its what you do on the road in January and February, and so far Peyton comes up short. When he does the job in a big game on the road, then I'll call him great.
    Prepare to call him a great QB then cause they beat the Chiefs in a divisional playoff game in KC 38-31 last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Prepare to call him a great QB then cause they beat the Chiefs in a divisional playoff game in KC 38-31 last year.
    Oops . Do I have to? I note that was the week before Manniing could only manage 14 points in Foxboro. And in 2002, he lost in the Meadowlands 41-0.

And does KC really count, I mean they have no defense. But good job, you did your homework.

Basically, what people are implying is that the surrounding cast has NO impact whatsoever. The only variable in winning Super Bowls is the QB. The clear implication in that argument is that if Brady would have been quarterbacking the Colts over the last four years, they would have won 3 Super Bowls and had Peyton Manning been quarterbacking the the Pats, they wouldn't have won a single one. If Peyton Manning had been quarterbacking the Pats over the last four years, they might not have lost a game.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

ESPN "analysts". Bastions of credibility.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    It's simple for me, I have nothing against Brady (hey, I attend the University of Michigan). BUt based on my watching of the games, that offensive line is one of the best i've seen in years. In the playoffs this year I started actually timing how long he had to throw the ball. He consistently has 6-7 seconds to throw the ball.
    But that shouldn't be held against Brady, or a knock on his ability, just because the Pats have a solid offensive line or team around him. That's any QB's dream.

HE doesn't win games, his team does.
    Tell that to guys like Elway, Marino, and Montana. Three QB's who were among the greats when it came to the 2 minute drill, and bringing their teams back and leading them to victory when it was needed and counted on. Yes, they did so almost single-handedly alot of times. Both Bengal and Brown fans have witnessed that firsthand in the past.

Maybe you're not intentionally do so Mike; but you make it sound like that as long as you have a solid offensive line, RB, and receivers, you can throw just about anyone in at QB and make them look good. And I disagree. Why was Big Ben able to do what Mattox or Kordel couldn't with the same squads?

I'm not saying the QB is the all-in-all. And I agree that QB's get alot more of the credit, due to their "high profile" position, then say a lineman, etc. As kids playing football in the backyard, everyone imagined themselves being Johnny Unitas or Gale Sayers. But no one fantasied being a lineman. But a QB can carry a team to victory on their shoulders just as much as a Bonds, Gretzky, or Shaq.

And even if you break it down a step further and ask if the offense or the defense has more to do with the success of the Pats, you'd have to say the defense is more responsible.
    How? Yes, I believe in a solid defense. The Pats and Eagles were #9 and #10 respectively in the NFL in overall defense. And the Pat's defense stifled and prevented the Eagles from scoring at times when needed. But they weren't always so successful were they? But how many points did the Pat's defense put on the board in yesterday's Super Bowl? You still rely on your offense to be your mainstay to put points on the board.

The coaching staff devices and designs the offensive/defensive schemes that are utilized on that field. And it's up to that coaching staff to find the right players that can [b]successfully implement[b] that scheme. That is where I give Belicheck so much credit (or any really good coach). But you have to give Tom Brady credit too.

There's at least 5 QBs in the NFL I'd rather have than Brady if I'm starting a team.
    I don't disagree with this statement. But the fact is... Brady has gotten the job done, and quite admirably. The guy has three Super Bowl rings. How may do statistically better QBs, such as a Manning or Marino, have?
    Last edited by GAC; 02-07-2005 at 08:18 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Manning put up a lot of gaudy numbers against some very mediocre teams while playing late into games where other QBs would be resting on the sideline. Further, Manning has displayed his inability to win the 'big' game since he arrived at Tennessee.

To say Trent Dilfer is Tom Brady lite is laughable. I think Mutaman has pointed out how much respect Brady has among his peers and other NFL experts.

Manning can put up all the numbers he wants, but as Steve Young has said, you are remembered by Super Bowls. Until Manning proves he can win one, I'm taking Brady every day of the week and twice on Sunday (sorry about the pun).

I thought the title of this article says it all...

Brady good enough again

QUARTERBACK JOINS NFL GREATS WITH THIRD SUPER BOWL TITLE

By Josh Robbins

Orlando Sentinel

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - For New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, the first half of Super Bowl XXXIX on Sunday roughly mirrored his week leading to the game.

Taxing. Draining.

Weighed down by the death of his grandmother four days earlier, Brady not only overcame his grief, but he also eventually overcame the Philadelphia defense.

Brady completed 23 of 33 passes for 236 yards and two touchdowns, and only a magnificent performance by teammate Deion Branch kept Brady from winning his third Super Bowl most valuable player award.

"It's a relief,'' Brady said. "It has been a long year, but everyone is so excited.''

The win made Brady 9-0 in the postseason, a record that puts him level with former Green Bay Packers great Bart Starr.

Brady and his offensive teammates had their difficulties in the first half, with the Eagles holding New England scoreless until David Givens snared a 4-yard touchdown pass 1 minute, 10 seconds before halftime.

"That was about his third read,'' Patriots Coach Bill Belichick marveled of Brady's throw. "That was an outstanding play, because he had to read his progression all the way out. That was a great read and throw.''

Brady, rather than alibi for the muted offensive start, praised the opposition.

"It's just a darn good defense we were playing,'' Brady said. "It took us a while to get into a rhythm.''

After a quietly efficient first half that featured his first touchdown pass, Brady led the Patriots to touchdowns on their first and third possessions of the second half, breaking a tie each time, and to a field goal on their fourth possession.

The first drive of the second half made a difference for Brady, who said he felt out of rhythm during the first two quarters. Brady completed five of his seven passes, totaling 73 yards and capping the possession with a 2-yard pass to Mike Vrabel.

"He hit some big passes, especially those third downs at the start of the second half,'' Belichick said. "And that was Tom making good decisions and good throws.''

Despite losing a fumble deep in Philadelphia territory in the second quarter, Brady looked focused all night, an impressive achievement considering that his 94-year-old grandmother, Margaret Brady, died Wednesday in a San Francisco hospital after a long illness. Brady said he was close to his grandmother, growing up in San Mateo just a mile or so from her house.

Yet, even in the days immediately preceding the game, Brady kept his mind on football, even if, by his own admission, his ``heart had been at home.''

Charlie Weis, the Patriots' offensive coordinator, recalled that he recently received a late-night phone call from Brady, with the quarterback asking to make tweaks to the Patriots' game plan.

"Can you just shut up and let me get some sleep?'' Weis remembered thinking.

That dedication helps explain why Brady now sits in rarefied company. Along with Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana and Troy Aikman, Brady is one of four quarterbacks to lead his team to three world championships during the Super Bowl era.

Bradshaw and Montana already have been enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and Aikman soon will be. Now Brady appears to be on a track toward Canton.

After Super Bowl XXXIX ended, however, Brady intended to go back to the team hotel and listen to music until about 6 a.m.

"We haven't had an off day in seven months,'' Brady said. "I know I haven't had a day off in seven months, and it's all for this.''
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

ws1990reds

Macro, my comment was in reference to the Eagles standing around as if their watches said it was only the beginning of that particular quarter

Turn Off Ads?