Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Coach Accused Of Paddling Boys After Team Lost Game

Coach Accused Of Paddling Boys After Team Lost Game

Coach Accused Of Paddling Boys After Team Lost Game

(GARY, Ind., January 24th, 2005, 9:55 a.m.) -- An elementary school basketball coach faces battery charges for allegedly paddling several of his 13-year-old players for poor shooting after a loss.

Thayer L. Williamson, 31, was charged with three counts of felony battery alleging that he used a wooden paddle as punishment for the boy's poor performance.

The alleged corporal punishment came to light after several of the boys told their parents. A school nurse told police she examined every boy on the team and 11 of the 12 players had bruises, welts or swelling on their buttocks the day after the paddling.

Lake County prosecutors said Williamson was upset about his Melton Elementary School team losing badly in a Nov. 16 game. The next day, he allegedly brought a duct-tape wrapped wooden paddle to practice, according to the affidavit.

He held the paddle in his hand and as each player stepped to the free throw line, he asked them "Why did I lose?" the affidavit said.

"I'm going to motivate you all," Williamson reportedly told the boys. "Shoot free throws and for every one you miss, you're getting beat."

The 13-year-olds got from five to 20 swats, the report said.

Williamson told the students they could leave if they wanted to, but warned them "you won't be on another basketball team in your life," the affidavit said.

One boy told police Williamson had him up against the gym wall as he hit him. During one of the swats, the boy hit his head on the wall, the affidavit said.

The coach called the player's mother after he told Williamson he had a headache.

When she arrived, Williamson allegedly told her he had to paddle the boys.

"I am not teaching no ladies," the affidavit said Williamson told her. "I am showing them how to be men. I put the paddle to them for losing."

http://www.wave3.com/global/story.as...Type=Printable

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coach Accused Of Paddling Boys After Team Lost Game

At least he didn't make them smell his dirty toilet paper a la Bobby Knight.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedHotPotato
    "I am not teaching no ladies," the affidavit said Williamson told her. "I am showing them how to be men. I put the paddle to them for losing."
    Ain't we got no smart people to influence our youth? I guess dummy showed his intelligence with the above-statement. Of course we all knew that he wasn't too bright after reading this story.

I think coach's father or step-father must have given him some pretty good beatings in his early days. And now he feels he must do the same. There is usually a pattern to idiots like this who think beating kids is a good thing.

Too bad he thinks teaching these kids that winning is everything (or else!) is okay. He sure as heck shouldn't be coaching anymore.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

"Thank You Sir, Can I Have Another!"
    Last edited by GAC; 02-08-2005 at 08:14 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    "thank You Sir, Can I Have Another!"
    You didn't say "please."
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    You didn't say "please."
    So Spartucus likes to spank frat boys huh? :allovrjr:

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    So Spartucus likes to spank frat boys huh? :allovrjr:
    It's that whole Spartan thing.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

You just insulted USC
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    You just insulted USC
    Why? Just because they are named after a condom? :

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Ain't we got no smart people to influence our youth? I guess dummy showed his intelligence with the above-statement. Of course we all knew that he wasn't too bright after reading this story.

I think coach's father or step-father must have given him some pretty good beatings in his early days. And now he feels he must do the same. There is usually a pattern to idiots like this who think beating kids is a good thing.

Too bad he thinks teaching these kids that winning is everything (or else!) is okay. He sure as heck shouldn't be coaching anymore.
    Im not sure how it is in public schools anymore, if paddling is allowed or if you have to give permission. The way it was for me, if you got paddled at school, you got it at home too.

Of course, an elementary school coach should not have that kind of authority in disciplining kids.

Spanking kids nowadays is so dangerous for those who choose to do it. I worked at a grocery store for about a year, and watched parents spank their kids in the parking lot, one of which a woman came up to her and cussed her out, threatening to call social services.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Talking out of turn...that's a paddling. Looking out the window...that's a paddling. Staring at my sandals...that's a paddling. Paddling the school canoe...ooh, you better believe that's a paddling.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Do you like gladiator movies, Bobby?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Im not sure how it is in public schools anymore, if paddling is allowed or if you have to give permission. The way it was for me, if you got paddled at school, you got it at home too.

Of course, an elementary school coach should not have that kind of authority in disciplining kids.

Spanking kids nowadays is so dangerous for those who choose to do it. I worked at a grocery store for about a year, and watched parents spank their kids in the parking lot, one of which a woman came up to her and cussed her out, threatening to call social services.
    When I was in school you didn't get paddled...you got CRACKED! And man did it hurt!
    Last edited by GAC; 02-08-2005 at 09:17 AM.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    At least he didn't make them smell his dirty toilet paper a la Bobby Knight.
    A bull whip would have been better.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

When I was in Middle School we had a math teacher that played a 'game' called lockerhead when he punished his students. He put your head against a locker and hit your ass so hard he dented the locker. He was proud of all the dented lockers outside his classroom. The school and parents condoned it. Scorp of course was an excellent math student, but my aversion to homework eventually earned me a lockerhead game. It definitely wasn't fun, but it didn't really change my behaviour. If someone tried that with my kids, his last memory would be of me driving his head THROUGH the locker. I say make the coach shoot free throws and have each parent paddle him every time he misses.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?