Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's now illegal to dress the way you want in Virginia

It's now illegal to dress the way you want in Virginia

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- Virginians who wear their pants so low their underwear shows may want to think about investing in a stronger belt.

The state's House of Delegates passed a bill Tuesday authorizing a $50 fine for anyone who displays his or her underpants in a "lewd or indecent manner."

Del. Lionell Spruill Sr., a Democrat who opposed the bill, had pleaded with his colleagues to remember their own youthful fashion follies.

During an extended monologue Monday, he talked about how they dressed or wore their hair in their teens. On Tuesday, he said the measure was an unconstitutional attack on young blacks that would force parents to take off work to accompany their children to court just for making a fashion statement.

"This is a foolish bill, Mr. Speaker, because it will hurt so many," Spruill said before the measure was approved 60-34. It now goes to the state Senate.

The bill's sponsor, Del. Algie T. Howell, has said constituents were offended by the exposed underwear. He did not speak on the floor Tuesday.

Spruill and Howell, also a Democrat, are both black.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's now illegal to dress the way you want in Virginia

Lewd and/or indecent manner is highly objective. Wonder who makes the decision......
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Nice idea, bad way of going about it
    Go Gators!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

"I know lewd and indecent when I see it"

God bless America

"Nice idea?"

You've got to be kidding me.

I think it's lewd and indecent for the 'robust fellow' across the street to mow his lawn without a shirt on. Let's slap him with a fine too. And low-cut blouses. High-heels more than 2" tall - they're too "sexually suggestive."

This is a load of crap, pure and simple.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

My nice idea was meant in jest of course...

Running around in underwear to me is a little much, the other things they have in mind..are of course insanity
    Last edited by KronoRed; 02-09-2005 at 02:37 PM.
    Go Gators!

I've noticed that the older my son gets, the more his beltline is creeping back up to a normal level. He used to have half of his boxers hanging out (with subsequent derision from his dad). Now its just the waistband that peeks out.

These things are self-correcting. No need to legislate. What about a slip showing or a plumbers butt crack?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

SNL

Image of Dan Ackroyd as the Refrigerator repair man pops in to my head.

oh the things lawmakers do when they're bored

Further evidence that government is too big. I find it ironic that it's ok for us to see Vitoria secrets ads on TV (and guys in boxers on TV), but some dude showing his underwear can get a ticket.

I can see this as a convienent excuse for policemen to harass people. No offense to the law enforcement people on this board, most are good people, but some cops are just out of control. In other words, I can see a traffic stop, and then the cop handing out an "underwear showing" ticket in addition, just out of spite.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

It's all subjective, true, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. I assume public nudity is illegal in Virginia, so there has to be a point where someone stops being "nude" and starts being "clothed."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Can't imagine this passing the commonwealth supreme court, much less the federal.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

It's hard to see how a fashion that moves pants a couple inches below the waist is any different from a fashion that moves hem lines a couple inches above the ankle. Both were decried as scandalous. Neither merited the outcry.

If your underwear covers your area of interest, then you're dressed.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I'd like to see some of the more larger legislature members get tickets if their shirts become untucked and you can see a little bit of their underwear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I'd like to see some of the more larger legislature members get tickets if their shirts become untucked and you can see a little bit of their underwear.
    Or murdering their interns, assuming any of them have ever done such a thing.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I think I'll tell my 13 year old son that this law applies in our state.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?