Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: It's now illegal to dress the way you want in Virginia

Re: It's now illegal to dress the way you want in Virginia

Thank goodness:

Droopy-pants bill gets dropped in Virginia Senate

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) – Virginia lawmakers dropped their droopy-pants bill Thursday after the whole thing became just too embarrassing.

The bill, which would have slapped a $50 fine on people who wear their pants so low that their underwear is visible in “a lewd or indecent manner,” passed the state House on Tuesday but was killed by a Senate committee two days later in a unanimous vote.

Republican Sen. Thomas K. Norment said news reports implied that lawmakers were preoccupied with droopy pants.

“I find that an indignation, which dampens my humor,” Norment said.

Republican Sen. Kenneth Stolle, the committee chairman, called the bill “a distraction.”

The committee hearing drew a standing-room-only crowd that included about 75 government students from Surry County High School.

“If people in Florida can wear bikinis, a little underwear showing isn’t going to hurt anybody,” 17-year-old Elvyn Shaw said.

The bill’s sponsor, Democratic Delegate Algie T. Howell, had no immediate comment on the vote. He has said he introduced the legislation on behalf of constituents, including customers at his barber shop, who are offended by exposed underwear.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I, personally, like it very much when young hotties show their underwear. I also like it when their cracks stick out from the top. I also like it when they wear tight things that highlight their cleavage and show below the midriff. And, of course, we all know that they enjoy it when libininous, 30-something, domesticated guys like me gawk at their stuff, or they wouldn't be showing it off in public.

However, if an inordiante amount of sweaty, hairy, overweight white guys started a fashion trend that did these same things, I might be slightly offended.

It's just too bad that we can't discriminated against the ugly people and glorify the pretty people.

This won't be an issue in the future when we all wear mylar jumpsuits.

Ahh, good old Oakwood. In the past 6 months, I have been pulled over 4 times in Oakwood because the police thought I was out past curfew. I'm 22. Very annoying.
    So that's where he gets it from. Was Oakwood settled by Germans in 1946?

Virginia lawmakers dropped their droopy-pants bill Thursday after the whole thing became just too embarrassing.
    thank goodness, now I won't have to boycott Virginia j/k
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Lawmakers dropped their pants bill?
    Makes all the routine posts.

“If people in Florida can wear bikinis, a little underwear showing isn’t going to hurt anybody,” 17-year-old Elvyn Shaw said.
    Good to see that the youth of today is being taught the art of spin and deflect. I wonder if they are also being instructed in the arts of rhetoric and logic?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Was that a rhetorical question?

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    Virginia lawmakers dropped their droopy-pants bill Thursday after the whole thing became just too embarrassing.
    Jeez, politicians that got embarassed? I didn't think that happened.

We should get some of those Va. guys to Washington.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Good to see that the youth of today is being taught the art of spin and deflect. I wonder if they are also being instructed in the arts of rhetoric and logic?
    That's spin?

This country is becoming an increasingly strange place....
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

No one mentioned dark socks with white sneakers - epsecially with shorts.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    That's spin?

This country is becoming an increasingly strange place....
    Yes, it is spin. I consider it just as strange that you don't see it. It's the old "people are doing worse elsewhere" to justify what one considers less morally questionable actions. It deflects from the real issue of whether someone purposefully exposing their underpants is offensive enough to warrant legislation. It's like the gay doctor on ER using the argument that with wars, drugs, and other "worse" things going on in the world, why does anyone care about her sexual preference in response to her religious birth mother that was upset at her choice (not wanting to get into a homosexuality debate, just an example)?

Personally, I think it should be left to private institutions to set such guidelines, beginning with parents that say "pull up your pants, junior." But the issue isn't what people are allowed to wear publicly in Florida.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Good to see that the youth of today is being taught the art of spin and deflect.
    Actually its a its a solid piece of logic. And I'm all for teaching it.

I think its stating a precedent and establishing a context for the argument. I'd give it a B- in a debate class (the "if" was solid, the "then" was a little loose).

I do believe that the fabric of society ought to be able to take care of these "problems" without resorting to legislation.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    No one mentioned dark socks with white sneakers - epsecially with shorts.
    I've done this..it makes legs stand out..it's just not a cool thing..I'm in favor of jail time about it
    Go Gators!

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    My boxers are showing right now.
    My boxers are showing right now AND I'm in Virginia!! :allovrjr:

Now that they went and dumped the stupid legislation, I'm gonna miss my bid to go before the State Supreme Court. DANG!
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 02-12-2005 at 12:23 PM.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?