Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: North Korea: Yes we do have nuclear weapons

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: North Korea: Yes we do have nuclear weapons

I like apples!
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    20 years of flushing money down a hole with no results is pork. Honestly, if they're going to build a weapons based on an '80s video why not try Defender instead of Missile Command?
    Thankfully Americans have a long history of ignoring the naysayer and pushing through amazing and very important scientific advances.

There is no way that this administration is gonna invade N. Korea, and this petty dictator knows that. He is simply trying to work the system (diplomatic community) in order to extort even more aid from the U.S. It worked once before didn't it.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you.

Their eyes were on developing nucs from the day Jimmy Carter set foot in their country and worked out that "sweet heart" deal (you all remember that one don't you?.... where the American people were assured by our leaders that the materials/financial aid we gave them was to produce electricity and not bombs and to help the Korean people).

Does anyone remember those assurances?

When it all went down in the early 90's, and I saw what they had agreed on, I said to myself... "How can we even be considering giving this technology to this totalitarian regime? This is absurd! This is ridiculous! And it's gonna come back to bite us. It has.

I would keep the dilomatic channels open; but I would not do so on a "one on one" basis. That's exactly what this guy wants (and why we shoudn't do it). We then could come out looking even worse. The more parties (countries) involved the better for us.

Personally, I don't (and never have) viewed him as a threat to us, or the world community. He now has what we all suspected. But how far along are those systems, and the means in order to launch them? I'd garner to say not very far along. It's one thing to have the nucs; but quite another to have the advanced technological systems to launch them long range.

If I was the U.S., I would use our connections (and the UN) to build world-wide support against N. Korea for the purpose of isolating this regime. Let the world community know that we have no intentions of invading them because it really is not in our best interests or security. It's more of a problem for those nations in that hemisphere/pennisula (China, Russia, etc).

The Middle East is a region that is of vital importance to the entire world community. The Korean pennisula is not.

And Kim knows that even though he now possesses nucs, that even if he were to use them, or make a threat to do so, then he wouldn't have to simply worry about the U.S., but the entire world community. Because we are not simply talking terrorism here; but someone making threats of nuclear annihilation. Think about that for a second. If Kim steps over that line, then he knows he is history.

It's not about America and N. Korea. It's about the world community and N. Korea. And that is how this administration needs to approach and promote it IMO.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Thankfully Americans have a long history of ignoring the naysayer and pushing through amazing and very important scientific advances.
    Except those pesky energy and automobile industries.

The likely hood of Korea launching a missle this way is pretty small.

SDI won't stop a dirty bomb from entering the US from say the Canadian or Mexican border.

I'm more worried about that kind of attack than any missle launched from Korea.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Why should it be placed upon America's shoulders to negotiate one on one with this tyrannt? I say let N. Korea's neighbors worry about it
    It's not about America and N. Korea. It's about the world community and N. Korea. And that is how this administration needs to approach and promote it IMO.
    We took it upon our shoulders to attack Iraq *based on the Bush adminstration's insistence that Iraq had WMDs.* IIRC, you supported our attack based on that claim, GAC. The majority of the world community didn't agree, but the Bush administration blew them off and attacked anyway.

These quotes from you seems like an odd about-face from your earlier stance.

Taking defensive measures against nukes is hardly pork and now more urgent than ever. We should double its budget.
    Do you also support higher taxes?
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 02-11-2005 at 10:31 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Just following the logic of this administration shouldnt we be getting ready to invade N. Korea? Can we really sit around and let this threat develop? We need to fight them there so they can not fight us here. Besides God wants them to be free so I think we need to get there ASAP. Liberation and protection how can we not be there?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    The reason Kim wants a "one on one" with this administration is so that he can then pull the same shenanigans and extortion they did over a decade ago. It's easier to do when it's one on one, and not a multi-nation negotiation.

Why should it be placed upon America's shoulders to negotiate one on one with this tyrannt? I say let N. Korea's neighbors worry about it.
    Kim thinks that if we agree to hold one-on-one talks with N. Korea it gives him "street cred" with the modern world. I say get the Team America puppets on the next flight heading East....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    We took it upon our shoulders to attack Iraq *based on the Bush adminstration's insistence that Iraq had WMDs.* IIRC, you supported our attack based on that claim, GAC. The majority of the world community didn't agree, but the Bush administration blew them off and attacked anyway.
    Who, besides John Kerry, said that "the majority of the world community didn't agree?" What do you call the sixteen UN resolutions that passed prior to the invasion?

Who, besides John Kerry, said that "the majority of the world community didn't agree?" What do you call the sixteen UN resolutions that passed prior to the invasion?
    Signing resolutions is easy. What exactly did those resolutions contain? Condemnations of Iraq as a bad place, and of Hussein as a bad man?

Besides Great Britain ("The 51st State"), which nations participated in the invasion alongside US troops? Nairobi? Jamaica? Australia? Where were the other world powers?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Where were the other world powers?
    You must be talking about "Old Europe"

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Signing resolutions is easy. What exactly did those resolutions contain? Condemnations of Iraq as a bad place, and of Hussein as a bad man?

Besides Great Britain ("The 51st State"), which nations participated in the invasion alongside US troops? Nairobi? Jamaica? Australia? Where were the other world powers?
    Whoever thinks that signing a UN resolution is easy, is probably the same type of person who signs a petition just to get a person to leave their doorstep...Nice attempt at revisionist history, but to be precise, the resolutions specifically authorized the use of force against Iraq should Hussein fail to comply with the UN inspectors' requests (which he did repeatedly). The nations that voted FOR these initial resolutions included: France, Russia and Canada. Are these countries the "other world powers" that you were referring to earlier?

Just because these countries (and several others) got "cold feet" when the invasion came, does NOT change the fact that they initially voted for use of force. All it really means is that they all had their inherent conflicts of interest (see: UN Oil for Food scandal) due to the vast amount of trade (mostly illegal due to sanctions after the 1st Gulf War) with the country of Iraq. By the way, are you now the ONLY person that is unaware that the WMD in Iraq were relocated to Syria (and quite possibly Iran) just prior to the invasion? Let me guess, you get most of your news from the New York Times--or is the Washington Post?

I think that if a person hears what they want to hear enough times, it starts to sound alot like the truth. The truth is--and always has been--that this country will always be involved in armed conflicts. Very rarely will these conflicts be popular with all people. Nevertheless, they are a necessary process that enables our country to be free. It took WWII for our "51st state" of Great Britain to realize this to be the truth. France, on the other hand, is a country that has great cheese and people with very short collective memories. My feeling is that if France had been allowed to put their hands in a different cookie jar (lucrative Iraq rebuilding contracts), they would have had a different feeling about the invasion altogether.

Maybe they didn't get cold feet and just used better judgement than the US. But if it was cold feet, I wish our country's feet wouldn't have been so hot.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    By the way, are you now the ONLY person that is unaware that the WMD in Iraq were relocated to Syria (and quite possibly Iran) just prior to the invasion?
    Actually, I hadn't heard that either. Can you give me a link?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I think that if a person hears what they want to hear enough times, it starts to sound alot like the truth.
    "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."

-- Joseph Goebbels, German Minister of Propaganda, 1933-1945

Turn Off Ads?