Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 114

Thread: Batman Begins

  1. #31
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,783

    Re: Batman Begins

    Do you guys still follow any comics, or just the old school stuff?
    Just X-men these days.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,148

    Re: Batman Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Just X-men these days.

    I hope you mean Astonishing X-Men written by Joss "Buffy" Whedon.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  4. #33
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,148

    Re: Batman Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    They need to do Watchmen.

    I am sure that wouldn't sell all that well, but quite a good story.

    Do you guys still follow any comics, or just the old school stuff?

    Watchmen is in the works I believe, directed by Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremecy)
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  5. #34
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,322

    Re: Batman Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    They need to do Watchmen.

    I am sure that wouldn't sell all that well, but quite a good story.

    Do you guys still follow any comics, or just the old school stuff?
    All of it. I buy, sell, trade pretty much any era. Primarily a Marvel fan though. Never really got into DC. However, Watchmen was fantastic and Kingdom Come is a MUST read. MUST READ.

    Huge X-Men fan. I'm about 40 issues away from a complete run of the title. And yeah, Whedon/Cassiday's Astonishing X-Men freakin' RULES!

    Other fantastic stuff I'm reading now:

    Planetary (Best thing Wildstorm ever did)
    The Authority (Getting a bit tedious at the moment though)
    Y The Last Man (Engrossing. If you want your wife or girlfriend to read comics, this is what'll hook her on them.)
    The Walking Dead (This is the best ongoing series printed in the last 10 years easily)
    The Ultimates (Raisor is spot-on with his analysis of Ultimate Cap)
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    We3 (Three-issue mini series that was just amazing.)

    I also collect signed books, original page art, colorist art, and assorted other stuff. Gonna get my signed John Byrne portfolio lytho (Wolverine in the sewers) framed soon.

    BTW, if anyone needs an Ultimate X-Men #1, I picked five NM copies from a lot of books I purchased over the weekend. There were three Fine/VF copies in that lot as well. Go figure.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 02-14-2005 at 06:36 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  6. #35
    Member ochre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,266

    Re: Batman Begins

    Cool. I stopped collecting a couple of years ago. Seemed like everything was cross-over'd like crazy. Couldn't just grab a title or two and go. I still like to check out Astro City whenever I see one I don't have, or whenever Busiek makes a new one.
    4009



  7. #36
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,148

    Re: Batman Begins

    I don't actually buy any comics anymore, but I do read most every superhero book either off the rack or in the trades at my local Borders.

    I HEART Borders.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  8. #37
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Batman Begins

    I've got about 300 or so Marvel comics from the '60's. Many Fantastic Four, Spiderman, X-Men, Thor, Daredevil.... almost all in great shape.

    I need to catalog them and see what I've got.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  9. #38
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,148

    Re: Batman Begins

    Anyway, here's what I regularly read:

    Marvel Comics

    -Astonishing X-Men-
    Best X-book since Peter David's run on X-Factor back in the early 90s (I wasn't a fan of Morrision's New X-Men run)

    -Daredevil-
    Usually the first book I read the week it comes out.

    -Amazing Spiderman-
    Not as great as it was a year ago with John Romita JR leaving to do Wolverine, but still entertaining.

    -Wolverine-
    Current run with Mark Millar and JRjr has been good, but I think I like the Ruka/Robertson run better.

    -Captain America-
    Holy Super Soldier! Ed Brubaker (Catwoman) brings the good here. The Red Skull! A COSMIC CUBE~!, Sharon Carter! Nick Fury! Bucky's still dead! Cap taking out dozens of AIM agents (some all the way..he's a SOLDIER darn nab it!) Steve Epting back after years of doing the indy scene is back in a BIG way. Best art of his career.

    -Fantastic Four-
    Mark Waid's run the last few years has been tremendous. Too bad he and 'Ringo are leaving after next month.

    -Iron Man-
    It's WARREN ELLIS doing Iron Man, of course it rules. Too bad the next issue won't see print until sometime next century.

    -Thor-
    Wait, nevermind, he's still dead.

    -The Ultimates-
    I'm waiting until U2 comes out as a trade, though I took a peak at issue 2 the other day. It's beautiful. Hitch rules.

    -The Hulk-
    Peter David's back on the book after three or four years off. First two issues really didn't do it for me, but then PAD's got some fixing to do after three years of mind-numbing badness from Bruce Jones.

    -New Avengers-
    I've only read issue three so far, can't really comment except to say Spidey is FINALLY a full fledged Avenger. Keen.

    DC
    -Justice Society of America-
    Month in and month out, the best team book on the market.

    -Bat-books-
    So far, I like the "back to basics". Batman and Nightwing alone in Gotham.

    -Adventures of Superman-
    The only super-book I read right now. Ruka is the goods. Jim Lee, of course, is great on the core book, but Brian Azzarello has officially jumped the shark.

    -Justice League-
    It's Kurt Busick for Jack Kirby's sake! Of course it rules.

    -Green Arrow-
    Kevin Smith's run was good. Brad Meltzer's run was fantastic (GA/Roy road trip!). Judd Winnick's run has been very good, though I'll miss Phil Hester on the art (though he should rock on Nightwing).

    There's more, but I think I've shown how much of a nerd I am.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  10. #39
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: Batman Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I've got about 300 or so Marvel comics from the '60's. Many Fantastic Four, Spiderman, X-Men, Thor, Daredevil.... almost all in great shape.

    I need to catalog them and see what I've got.
    I got about a thousand comic books from the 60's. I too need to catalog and get them in order. I'm thinking about selling them; but I first need to find out what alot of them are worth.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  11. #40
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,322

    Re: Batman Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I've got about 300 or so Marvel comics from the '60's. Many Fantastic Four, Spiderman, X-Men, Thor, Daredevil.... almost all in great shape.

    I need to catalog them and see what I've got.
    Yeah. Absolutely. You need to send me scans of them as well and I'll grade them for you. And, of course would probably make an offer or two on the X-Men and Spidey books.

    Then you need to get GAC to get his down from his attic!
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  12. #41
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: Batman Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Anyway, here's what I regularly read:

    Marvel Comics

    -Astonishing X-Men-
    Best X-book since Peter David's run on X-Factor back in the early 90s (I wasn't a fan of Morrision's New X-Men run)

    -Daredevil-
    Usually the first book I read the week it comes out.

    -Amazing Spiderman-
    Not as great as it was a year ago with John Romita JR leaving to do Wolverine, but still entertaining.

    -Wolverine-
    Current run with Mark Millar and JRjr has been good, but I think I like the Ruka/Robertson run better.

    -Captain America-
    Holy Super Soldier! Ed Brubaker (Catwoman) brings the good here. The Red Skull! A COSMIC CUBE~!, Sharon Carter! Nick Fury! Bucky's still dead! Cap taking out dozens of AIM agents (some all the way..he's a SOLDIER darn nab it!) Steve Epting back after years of doing the indy scene is back in a BIG way. Best art of his career.

    -Fantastic Four-
    Mark Waid's run the last few years has been tremendous. Too bad he and 'Ringo are leaving after next month.

    -Iron Man-
    It's WARREN ELLIS doing Iron Man, of course it rules. Too bad the next issue won't see print until sometime next century.

    -Thor-
    Wait, nevermind, he's still dead.

    -The Ultimates-
    I'm waiting until U2 comes out as a trade, though I took a peak at issue 2 the other day. It's beautiful. Hitch rules.

    -The Hulk-
    Peter David's back on the book after three or four years off. First two issues really didn't do it for me, but then PAD's got some fixing to do after three years of mind-numbing badness from Bruce Jones.

    -New Avengers-
    I've only read issue three so far, can't really comment except to say Spidey is FINALLY a full fledged Avenger. Keen.

    DC
    -Justice Society of America-
    Month in and month out, the best team book on the market.

    -Bat-books-
    So far, I like the "back to basics". Batman and Nightwing alone in Gotham.

    -Adventures of Superman-
    The only super-book I read right now. Ruka is the goods. Jim Lee, of course, is great on the core book, but Brian Azzarello has officially jumped the shark.

    -Justice League-
    It's Kurt Busick for Jack Kirby's sake! Of course it rules.

    -Green Arrow-
    Kevin Smith's run was good. Brad Meltzer's run was fantastic (GA/Roy road trip!). Judd Winnick's run has been very good, though I'll miss Phil Hester on the art (though he should rock on Nightwing).

    There's more, but I think I've shown how much of a nerd I am.

    Hey ladies! Can you believe this guy is still single??? :allovrjr:
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  13. #42
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,148

    Re: Batman Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Hey ladies! Can you believe this guy is still single??? :allovrjr:

    Hey, I get more booty then a toliet seat, daddy-o.

    (just kidding Amanda! I love you!!!)
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  14. #43
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,322

    Re: Batman Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I got about a thousand comic books from the 60's. I too need to catalog and get them in order. I'm thinking about selling them; but I first need to find out what alot of them are worth.
    RIGHT ON CUE!!

    Send me a list and/or scans/pics and I'll give you quotes on them!
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  15. #44
    Mod Law zombie-a-go-go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miskatonic University
    Posts
    4,302

    Re: Batman Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    My only complaint about the films is how they portray Cyclops as a complete dweeb. An N'Sync CD in his car stereo? Come on. He's the frickin' leader of the team. James Marsden must be furious with his agent for not getting him more screen time.
    Hear hear!

    Cyke was always my favorite X-Man. Though the films do rawk, it's hella-disappointing to see the character treated like an afterthought. Hopefully with the Dark Phoenix storyline for X3 he'll come into his own (and relegate Wolverine to the back burner, where he belongs).
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

  16. #45
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: Batman Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Hey, I get more booty then a toliet seat, daddy-o.

    (just kidding Amanda! I love you!!!)
    :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

    Someone told me you could fall into a barrel of boobs and come out suckin' your thumb. :allovrjr:
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25