Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 199

Thread: Grade the offseason.

  1. #76
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,366

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    For the record, I gave them a C-, with my logic being that tying up a lot of money in mediocre players would preclude moves at the deadline (in the hopes they stick around in a weak--and it is weak--division). In other words, they have expensively run in place. Net deduction, but a minor one.
    Yeah. That's kinda my thought on it as well although I don't think they needed to backslide to get an "F". But that really seems to be the only difference in our thinking.

    We ok now, champ? :
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,989

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Yeah. That's kinda my thought on it as well although I don't think they needed to backslide to get an "F". But that really seems to be the only difference in our thinking.

    We ok now, champ? :
    Sure. Devil's in the details, and all that rot, blah di blah.

  4. #78
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,594

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Oh, if you mean that some folks will complain about anything or that other folks will complain about some stuff but not complain about other stuff? Yep.

    There are even folks who constantly complain about "complainers". Really. No kidding. There are actually folks on this board that find non-pie-in-the-sky baseball talk so offensive that they'll complain about people. I know. Hard to believe, isn't it?

    Oh, and they're generally the same folks who start the "Reds/Player X Sucks" posts around late July after ranting and raving about "negativity" all offseason.

    Yep. Again, no kidding!
    I remember an actual thread title that went something like this:

    "Let's face it...The Reds SUCK."

    "Boycott LINDER!!!!" Also a good one.

    gO rEdZ!
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  5. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    448

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    A+. The Reds have shown in the past that if they just get decent pitching they can win 85 to 90 games, health willing. They have stayed in the division race with retreads on the mound and no bench depth and relied on the bullpen (last year being an aberration). Now we have that great bullpen again, a strong pitching staff that can not only keep us in games but take over games, a good bench and a powerful offense. The pieces are in place for an 85 to 90+ win season and a spot in the playoffs.

  6. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    448

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    For the record, I gave them a C-, with my logic being that tying up a lot of money in mediocre players would preclude moves at the deadline (in the hopes they stick around in a weak--and it is weak--division). In other words, they have expensively run in place. Net deduction, but a minor one.
    If they don't make those moves the Reds aren't around to make a move at the trade deadline. And when the trade deadline comes who are the pitchers who are available? Guys like Paul Wilson, Eric Milton and Ramon Ortiz.

  7. #81
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,989

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    A+. The Reds have shown in the past that if they just get decent pitching they can win 85 to 90 games, health willing. They have stayed in the division race with retreads on the mound and no bench depth and relied on the bullpen (last year being an aberration). Now we have that great bullpen again, a strong pitching staff that can not only keep us in games but take over games, a good bench and a powerful offense. The pieces are in place for an 85 to 90+ win season and a spot in the playoffs.
    Great bullpen???

    When did the Reds sign Foulke and Gagne?

    I'd say our bullpen is somewhere between mediocre and awful. And if Weber doesn't pan out, super awful.

  8. #82
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,594

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    If they don't make those moves the Reds aren't around to make a move at the trade deadline. And when the trade deadline comes who are the pitchers who are available? Guys like Paul Wilson, Eric Milton and Ramon Ortiz.
    'Course a deadline deal for a guy like Eric Milton wouldn't cost as much.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  9. #83
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,187

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I remember an actual thread title that went something like this:

    "Let's face it...The Reds SUCK."

    "Boycott LINDER!!!!" Also a good one.

    gO rEdZ!

    U are just the jealoous type and its' clear that you aren't not a real fan because if you wire u'd think that.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  10. #84
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,510

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    There were some absolutely outlandish contracts given this offseason -- the Reds aren't the only ones who "overspent" to add to their team

    This is what baseball is becoming..get used to it

  11. #85
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,989

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    If they don't make those moves the Reds aren't around to make a move at the trade deadline. And when the trade deadline comes who are the pitchers who are available? Guys like Paul Wilson, Eric Milton and Ramon Ortiz.

    If last year's team could compete into June (which it did), then a few inexpensive adjustments and lucky NRIs, we could, this year, still be "competing" in what I consider a lame Central division.

  12. #86
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,994

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    C--. as close to a D as you can get and still not get it. the Milton signing and Dunn not having a LT offer cinch the craptacularness for me.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.

  13. #87
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,825

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    This is what baseball is becoming..get used to it
    That has to be the spring training catch phrase... I hear it every year, When players held out they said it, when Wayne Garland signed a 10 year contract they said it, when Bud Black was signed by the Giants in 1991......it's as much a part of baseball as crackerjacks and ballplayers on a hotel roof.

  14. #88
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,510

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    I love it....the Reds do nothing, people complain because they're doing nothing (I was a big advocate there)

    The Reds spend some money, make some moves to upgrade the team as a whole, by addressing their needs with major-league talent and people complain

    Did they overspend? Yeah, probably, but see my last post.

    Did they upgrade? I think they did, and I think it will show

    Did they actually show that they really may want to win? Yes, which is a huge step in the right direction

    Were there better players available to the ones we obtained? Yes...sure there were, but can you imagine how much we would have had to overpay for them? Unfortunately the economics of baseball isn't fair when it comes to salaries and parity

    Plus, the Reds didn't give any of these guys real lengthy deals, which, in the past, have gotten this organization into trouble on more than one occasion

    Bottom line, this offseason finally showed me that there is a direction and a plan. Whether it pans out or works, we'll probably begin to see that as the season plays out

  15. #89
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,994

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    Matt,

    if Acevedo had won 12+ games over the last 3 seasons, would you have given him Milton's contract?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.

  16. #90
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,989

    Re: Grade the offseason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I love it....the Reds do nothing, people complain because they're doing nothing (I was a big advocate there)

    The Reds spend some money, make some moves to upgrade the team as a whole, by addressing their needs with major-league talent and people complain

    Did they overspend? Yeah, probably, but see my last post.

    Did they upgrade? I think they did, and I think it will show

    Did they actually show that they really may want to win? Yes, which is a huge step in the right direction

    Were there better players available to the ones we obtained? Yes...sure there were, but can you imagine how much we would have had to overpay for them?

    Plus, the Reds didn't give any of these guys real lengthy deals, which, in the past, have gotten this organization into trouble on more than one occasion

    Bottom line, this offseason finally showed me that there is a direction and a plan. Whether it pans out or works, we'll probably begin to see that as the season plays out

    Actually, as embarrassing as it may sound, I thought DanO brought in more talent for value dollar last offseason. I liked the Lidle signing, and still do, for the money involved. I really liked the VanderWal pickup--he got hurt, what can you do? Couple those pickups with what I thought, and still think, is a good deal in the Reitsma for Bong and Nelson, and DanO had an unsexy but respectable offseason.

    This offseason is just bizarre; I don't know how else to put it.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25