Here's what DanO has to do to earn a "C" this winter:
1. Don't botch up the rule V draft. Don't draft someone injured. Don't draft a starting pitcher.. no good ones are ever exposed. INSTEAD:
- draft a useful bullpen arm like Neu (usually a couple clubs every year can find a useful bullpen arm in Rule V, and with our pathetic pen, it wouldn't take much to find a useful arm
- OR try the Bip Roberts strategy. Draft a high ceiling guy that will clearly be overmatched, and carry him for the year, then send him back to the minors for 2006.
But please, we don't need any more Aaron Harangs. Don't try to find a starting pitcher. If any good ones are exposed, they will be gone long before we pick.
2. Don't make any dumb trades. If you have to dump salary, get some value.
Win any trades that you make.
3. Dunn's contract. Don't go to arbitration. Settle it amicably. Don't go to arb over 200k like the Reds did with Casey a couple years ago.
4. Sign at least 1 good bullpen arm. The bullpen SUCKS. You've had a year to see that, so do something about it.
That's what I consider the BARE minimum to get a "C". If he wants an "A" or "B", he must do some or all of the following:
1. We'll probably only have one veteran starter. Upgrade from Wilson. Use that payflex wisely. Don't be braindead and simply resign Wilson and take the rest of the winter off.
2. Sign Dunn, Kearns and/or Pena to long term deals.
3. Get some legitimate high ceiling prospects.
4. Fix the bullpen. Fix the rotation.
5. Fix the 3b problem. This Kearns experiment is not going to work well.