Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade the offseason.

Re: Grade the offseason.

I don't understand how anyone can give the Reds a C or even D as some did.
    There are over 50 threads picking every move to the minutia... ya missed those eh?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    I give it a 7.
    How can you give them a 7?? I'm giving them a 4.633791. It could have been a 4.633996, but I loathe the Joe Randa signing, hence the decrease.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I certainly don't spend the time you do west. I only have time to read a few things and saw this so I guess I haven't. There seems to be a lot of just negativity with some all the time, but read my edited post. (you're too fast) and give me a true answer in 30 words or less. Make me understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    How can you give them a 7?? I'm giving them a 4.633791. It could have been a 4.633996, but I loathe the Joe Randa signing, hence the decrease.
    I think the Russians got a hold of him.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I think the Russians got a hold of him.
    If anyone could be influenced by the Russians its Zombie. I heard they kidnapped FREEL!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I'd have to say B-

The talent added isn't spectacular, but for the most part it is solid. The Milton contract is decent, not untradeable if the Reds aren't in contention. Ortiz is also locked up for two years due to arbitration. I'd bet Randa would also come back for a second if Edwin isn't yet ready. All in all a decent two year plan to be competitive while giving the kids a little more seasoning.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

If we win the division....will your grades change?

I don't have a grade -- I'll see what happens

D+

Holding onto Jimenez, and patching the bullpen up a bit keep this from being a complete disaster.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior
    D

They overspent on mediocre talent, potentially precluding LTC's for Dunn and Kearns, and allowing almost no future payroll flexibility with the expensive, underproductive tandem of Graves-Griffey-Casey (not as bad as the others)-Milton.
    That pretty much covers it.

What do you guys expect the Reds to do about the LTC situation with Dunn? Its Dunn and his people who will not sign a LTC now because they know if he continues to play the way he did last year, he will command a lot of money in the free agent market. I really want Dunn to stay a Red but its not like Obrien can force him to sign a contract. Now I give the Reds a B+ for the offseason. Main reason no more Jimmy Haynes or Brandon Larson.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    What do you guys expect the Reds to do about the LTC situation with Dunn? Its Dunn and his people who will not sign a LTC now because they know if he continues to play the way he did last year, he will command a lot of money in the free agent market. I really want Dunn to stay a Red but its not like Obrien can force him to sign a contract. Now I give the Reds a B+ for the offseason. Main reason no more Jimmy Haynes or Brandon Larson.
    It's not that I expected them to sign Dunn long term in the offseason, but that Milton deal might hurt the chances of that happening in the near future.

Jimmy Haynes and Brandon Larson were out of this clubs plans long before last season ended, so I wouldn't include that in my grade.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Wow, you guys are some of the most ungrateful fans I've ever seen. This is by far the best off season the Reds have had in over 20 years (please don't say getting Griffey was the best offseason). What did you guys give them last year? Because their off season this year has been about 800% better. I can't even remember what we did last season, Corey Lidle and Todd Jones is all I can think of. Some of you guys need to get off your calculators and baseball prospectus graphs and take a look at the game. We actually have a bench this year (haven't seen that lately) and a bullpen! And for those of you who criticize for overspending...who's money was it, and somebody tell me their budget??? No matter what the budget, we weren't going to get anyone else after our last deal. If Lindner didn't over spend on Milton, we wouldn't have him, and we would just have 8 million dollars more...having that money won't win us games, Milton will. Take a look at what we put on the field, we have 4 all-star caliber OF's, a very solid 3B, good 2B, one of the best hitting 1B in the game, a tough as nails catcher with a great arm, 3 decent starters, which we haven't seen in a while, and a good bullpen... Have you guys noticed our pitching competition is for the 4 and 5 spot (even though I feel it is decided already for Harang and Hudson). Usually our competition is for our 3-5! Jose Acevedo was our #3 last year!

I give them an A for their off season, best one I've experienced.

I guess I should be ready for some responses...

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    It's not that I expected them to sign Dunn long term in the offseason, but that Milton deal might hurt the chances of that happening in the near future.

Jimmy Haynes and Brandon Larson were out of this clubs plans long before last season ended, so I wouldn't include that in my grade.
    I can see what your point is with the Milton deal, I guess I am just hoping this offseason Linder had a change of heart and he is going to start spending money. And I know Haynes and Larson were gone but JB would have found a way to work them back in. Other then that though I think they upgraded where they needed too, probaly not a world series winner but I think Obie did a good job

I think these moves need to be graded not just in terms of flat-out talent which the Reds picked up, but in what was available to them, and what they were capable of getting. In other words, we all know they weren't going to go after a Beltran or Randy Johnson. If they could have, but didn't, then the grade for their offseason moves would be much lower.

Nut considering the confines of the payroll, the needs the team had, and the talent available to fill those needs, I give the team a grade of

B-

Milton was a good pickup. Not only for the fact that he is an established pitcher with a track record of success, but because it showed that the team was out there playing FA ball with the best of them. He may not win 20 games, and they might have overpaid for him, but I will far and away take this version of the Reds over the one that consistently sent the likes of Jimmy Anderson and Jimmy Haynes to the mound.

Ortiz is a question mark...could be good, could be bad, but if nothing else he provides another veteran presence and can push the young guys.

Re-signing Wilson was key, got him for a good value and will solidify the top o fthe rotation.

Weber and Mercker were good pickups. They won't set the worl don fire, but both are better than Phil Norton and some o fthe other scrubs the Reds threw out there.

I don't like David Weathers.

Randa was a good signing. Veteran 3b-man with great glove and decent bat. Plugs a gaping hole at third and significantly improves the infield defense.

Aurillia, likewise, was a good signing. He's there, contrary to what the Reds may be publicly stating, to push Lopez. Which is definitely a good thing. Plus, he has postseason experience and a track record of success that can only help solidify our bench.

This is by far the best off season the Reds have had in over 20 years
    Greg Vaughn and Mike Cameron say hi.

Turn Off Ads?