Thread: Alan Keyes Disowns His Daughter

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Alan Keyes Disowns His Daughter

"Walking the talk," indeed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer
    When Sexuality Undercuts A Family's Ties
    By Marc Fisher

Sunday, February 13, 2005; Page C01

Maya Keyes loves her father and mother. She put off college and moved from the family home in Darnestown to Chicago to be with her dad on a grand adventure. Even though she disagrees with him on "almost everything" political, she worked hard for his quixotic and losing campaign for the U.S. Senate.

Now Maya Keyes -- liberal, lesbian and a little lost -- finds herself out on her own. She says her parents -- conservative commentator and perennial candidate Alan Keyes and his wife, Jocelyn -- threw her out of their house, refused to pay her college tuition and stopped speaking to her.

Maya, 19, says her parents cut her off because of who she is -- "a liberal queer." Tomorrow, she will take her private dispute with her dad into the open. She is scheduled to make her debut as a political animal, speaking at a rally in Annapolis sponsored by Equality Maryland, the state's gay rights lobby.

She plans to talk about "what it was like for me growing up as a liberal queer in a very conservative household. I've known so many other people in a position like mine, where their families really don't want much to do with them. Maybe I can help by talking about it."

During his failed campaign last fall against Barack Obama (D) for the Illinois Senate seat, Alan Keyes lashed out at Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of Vice President Cheney. Keyes told a radio interviewer that Mary Cheney was a "selfish hedonist." Then, without having been asked anything about his own family, he volunteered that "if my daughter were a lesbian, I'd look at her and say, 'That is a relationship that is based on selfish hedonism.' I would also tell my daughter that it's a sin and she needs to pray to the Lord God to help her deal with that sin."

Maya heard the comments and recoiled. "It was kind of strange that he said it like a hypothetical," she says. "It was really kind of unpleasant."

Alan Keyes (R) has made a career as a controversialist, an eloquent and passionate defender of traditional values and conservative thinking. He has run for the Senate three times and the presidency twice. Like his daughter, he took time away from education because of his politics, leaving Cornell University as a freshman after getting into a heated dispute with black students who had taken over the student center.

Maya is also an eloquent iconoclast, at once an adult and an adolescent, testing society's limits even as she expects her parents to give her the love and support they always have provided.

Her parents have known that Maya is a lesbian since they found a copy of the Washington Blade, the gay weekly, in her room and confronted her at the end of high school (she went to Oakcrest School for Girls, a Catholic school in McLean run by the church's highly devout Opus Dei movement.) Ever since, Maya says, her parents have told her that her sexuality is wrong and sinful.

"As long as I was quiet about being gay or my politics, we got along," she says. "Then I went to the Counterinaugural," last month's protests in Washington against President Bush. "My father didn't like that."

Maya returned from the demonstration to find that she had been let go from her job at her father's political organization.

She says she was told to leave her father's apartment and not to expect any money toward attending Brown University, where she was admitted but deferred matriculation to spend a year teaching in southern India. "In my father's view, financing my college would be financing my politics, in a sense," Maya says, "because I plan to be an activist after college."

She wrote to her parents to tell them about tomorrow's speech, but says she got no response.

After I contacted Alan Keyes's office, press secretary Connie Hair called back with a prepared statement from him: "My daughter is an adult, and she is responsible for her own actions. What she chooses to do has nothing to do with my work or political activities." End of statement.
    (more at the link)
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alan Keyes Disowns His Daughter

I am not a fan of Alan Keyes.
    School's out. What did you expect?

His family business is noone else's concern. Maybe he is a poor parent. Doesn't mean his performance as a politician is equally bad. Many people have shortcomings with their family that they don't seem to struggle with in non-family matters. Are you willing to say every President who was less than stellar as a husband was also a bad President?

Besides, we have no way of knowing the whole story. Do you know that she is blameless?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Me neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I suppose you could say he isn't inconsistant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I certainly hope this thread does not morph into another "choice-or-born-with" discussion.

Having said that, I would like to remind Mr. Keyes that this is the same baby girl he once held in his arms and promised to guide and protect.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Sounds to me like Mr Keyes' daughter is as opinonated and outspoken as he is, but her opinions are obviously very different and apparently abhorrent to her dad. So much for loving the sinner and hating the sin.

And I agree that they're entitled to their privacy, but it appears that young Maya is intent on working up a media frenzy.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    And I agree that they're entitled to their privacy, but it appears that young Maya is intent on working up a media frenzy.
    And that may have been the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. As long as she wasn't public about her sexuality he was not necessarily OK with it but he wouldn't cut her off. No one is a winner here.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Sounds to me like Mr Keyes' daughter is as opinonated and outspoken as he is, but her opinions are obviously very different and apparently abhorrent to her dad. So much for loving the sinner and hating the sin.

or MAYBE she wants to help other kids who have had to go through the same betrayal she is facing.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Nor am I

I just love people who use God to act crappy to each other, WAKE UP YOU FOOLS THAT'S NOT WHAT GOD IS ABOUT
    Go Gators!

They call me "chef"

I think this article shows that Keyes does love his daughter. That is why he is being this firm with her. If he didn't care about her he would let her come and go as she pleases and do whatever she would like.

As a religious person I personally agree with Alan Keyes' views on the topic. He does not seek the favor of man.

As a religious person I personally agree with Alan Keyes' views on the topic. He does not seek the favor of man.
    I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but do you believe God will reward him for ostracizing his own daughter?
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 02-14-2005 at 10:03 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

If he didn't care about her he would let her come and go as she pleases and do whatever she would like.
    So disowning her shows that he cares. Letting her live her life the way that makes her happy would show that he does not care.

I think I've entered bizarro world.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    So disowning her shows that he cares. Letting her live her life the way that makes her happy would show that he does not care.

I think I've entered bizarro world.
    If a parent caught their child doing something wrong and didn't punish them for it, instead saying "you're doing something that's going to damn your eternal soul and that's okay with me, because you're happy," is that the act of a caring father?

It's only bizarre if you don't look at the matter from both sides of the glass.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I don't think its right that a family disowns a child. Ever. And I surely don't think its correct for a well off family to cut off paying a child's tuition in college just because you disagree with their lifestyle choice.

Now, cutting them off because they are screwing off and wasting money (like I did with my 1.86 GPA and not attending classes - and my parents still didn't cut me off, although they threatened) is one thing - but to cut off a smart, dedicated child just because you disagree with their politics and their lifestyle is not cool, IMO.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?