Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reasons for Adam Dunn to hit 2nd

Reasons for Adam Dunn to hit 2nd

Hello to the fine people on this board.

Given the prospective roster of talent that the Reds have available, I believe that Adam Dunn should be hitting second in the order. Here are the reasons:

1. Adam Dunn is a high OBP guy. Getting on base is one of the primary jobs for a top of the order guy.

2. Walk, Strikeout or Hit, Adam Dunn looks at alot of pitches every at bat. This would let the hitters behind him get a solid feel for what the pitcher has that particular game.

3. Adam Dunn is not a typical run producer. His RBIs come as a result of his power, not of his disciplined hitting. Almost half of his RBI total comes from knocking himself in, therefor the Reds would not be losing run production by placing their best power hitter 2nd in the lineup.

4. Adam Dunn has good speed for a player of his size, and he can steal an occasional base. The only other player that the Reds could put batting 2nd that has better speed than Dunn would be Austin Kearns, but doing that would force Dave Miley into stacking his left handed bats in the order again, something that makes me nervous. (As an aside, Pena has better speed than both Kearns and Dunn, but batting him second when he has the least discipline of all the hitters on the team would be a disaster.)

So, in my admittedly often naive opinion, it makes sense to bat Dunn 2nd. It plays to his strengths and minimizes his weakness. Dunn can stay the same player he is and still be productive. The Reds are never going to be a "small ball" team with the current roster, and his .400 OBP looks alot better at the front of the line-up with Kearns, Griffey and Casey waiting to drive him in, than it would look 5th when you have Randa, LaRue and Lopez to drive him in.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reasons for Adam Dunn to hit 2nd

So, you're saying he hardly ever drives in more than 1 run, so bat him second in the order? Sounds good to me. If your leadoff guy is doing his job, it could give Dunn more RBI's.

Not Laughing

I agree, however, I think he is the best #3 hitter on the roster. Either Freel or D'Lo leadoff, then Casey in the 2 hole, then Dunn.

In a perfect world the leadoff man would get on, go first to third on Casey's blooper to left, then have Dunn hit a three run homerun.

Then reality sets in and you ralize Dunn would either stike out or hit into a double play, but hey, atleast the runner on third would score...

I believe there is growing support for Dunn getting a shot in the 2 hole for the reasons you mentioned.

The spillover benefit is it will help to cut to the meat of what Dunn is and will become. Is he a budding McGwire, Reggie Jackson, Thome, Killebrew, McCovey or is he Bo Jackson, Craig Wilson, Pat Burrell, Rob Deer?

No doubt he will be challenged more often than he has been if he has Casey, Griffey and a producing Kearns/Pena behind him. I say let's find out. End all the speculation. If he can be productive from the 2 hole I may even become an Adam Dunn fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    I agree, however, I think he is the best #3 hitter on the roster. Either Freel or D'Lo leadoff, then Casey in the 2 hole, then Dunn.
    I looked at Casey batting 2nd, and just can't see it. For all the man hustles on every play, he is still one of the slowest human beings I have seen. I would at least like a man who can score from first on a double in the alley.

Git-R-Dunn

Adam should never hit second, maybe 3,4, or 5 but #2 no way.

Over 60% of Dunn's ABs result in an outcome(K, BB, HR) where the ball is not in play. I was thinking of this exact topic this morning and RedsRule has nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Git-R-Dunn
    Adam should never hit second, maybe 3,4, or 5 but #2 no way.
    Must be one of Larry The Cable Guy's relatives.

Weasle 25

Shoot Bob "boowho" Boone batted him leadoff why not bat him secound, thats when freels not in. I say bat him 5 or 6 just because he strikes out way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle 25
    I say bat him 5 or 6 just because he strikes out way too much.
    He has the highest OBP on the team. Maybe it would make sense to bat him before players who might actaully drive him in when he gets on.

He gets on base more than any other Red, he makes less outs than any other Red, he has more extra base hits than any other Red.

By all means let's limit his at bats.

Batting him 5th or 6th means that when he strikes out he is failing to drive in runs.

If he strikes out batting 2nd the damage is quite a bit less. And there is the chance that some of his 100+ walks will increase the RBI totals of Kearns, Griffey and Casey, rather than the runners left on base statistics of LaRue

Quote Originally Posted by #RedsRule#
    Batting him 5th or 6th means that when he strikes out he is failing to drive in runs.

If he strikes out batting 2nd the damage is quite a bit less. And there is the chance that some of his 100+ walks will increase the RBI totals of Kearns, Griffey and Casey, rather than the runners left on base statistics of LaRue
    Almost makes me wonder if I have an alter ego posting out there.

Shoot Bob "boowho" Boone batted him leadoff why not bat him secound, thats when freels not in. I say bat him 5 or 6 just because he strikes out way too much.
    Yeah....6 spot works too for type of player he is now but really it is time to get the bottom of the dunners.

In the 6th spot with an Aurilla, Lopez and/or LaRue behind him he may in fact get pitched around and just be a walkman. He isn't good enough hitter to bat 3,4, 5 at this juncture. He's getting 4 mil+ now so time to find out about dunners ! ! Bat him second and see if he can keep OBP up etc.. etc....

Just can't help myself

"The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings"

--Rob Neyer

Turn Off Ads?