Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reasons for Adam Dunn to hit 2nd

Re: Reasons for Adam Dunn to hit 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Almost makes me wonder if I have an alter ego posting out there.
    Not an alter ego, just somebody who has enough extra time on his hands to think a problem through to a logical conclusion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

i dont want this to sound like a dunn bash because i like the guy but he should not be in the top 3 for batting. He takes a lot of pitches but he cannot in my opinion 'work the count'. He cannot intentionally foul off boarderline pitches nor does he have an effortless two strike swing. He always seems to get schooled against a pitcher that knows what he's doing. If he can put the ball in play more and cut the k total then im for it. But to say that his high obp offsets his high K total doesn't seem quite right.

The Rodney Dangerfield of players.

Code:
    CINCINNATI REDS
    SEASON
    MODERN (1900-)
    EXTRA BASE HITS >= 70
    RUNS >= 90
    RBI >= 100
    RUNS CREATED/GAME vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    RCAA displayed only--not a sorting criteria

AGE                           YEAR     AGE      EBH       R       RBI     RC/G     RCAA    
    1    Johnny Bench             1970       22       84       97      148     2.24       35   
    2    Frank Robinson           1959       23       71      106      125     3.20       44   
    T3   Gus Bell                 1953       24       72      102      105     1.37       22   
    T3   Adam Dunn                2004       24       80      105      102     2.92       52    
    T3   Vada Pinson              1963       24       73       96      106     2.28       37   
    T6   Wally Post               1955       25       76      116      109     2.71       39   
    T6   Frank Robinson           1961       25       76      117      124     4.39       62   
    T8   Johnny Bench             1974       26       73      108      129     2.09       38   
    T8   Frank Robinson           1962       26       92      134      136     5.19       82   
    10   Tony Perez               1969       27       70      103      122     2.01       36

wow this is a beautiful thing...

finally hearing some other people chime in with a more realistic/objective appraisal of where dunners is as a player right now.

pleasure to make your acquaintances.............

Conservatism Bias and Confirmatory Bias:
    Once we form opinions, we tend to overvalue information that reinforces them and undervalue information that undermines them (conservatism bias). We even tend to seek out supporting information (confirmatory bias). Thus, we irrationally cling to incorrect conclusions, and, to paraphrase Simon and Garfunkel, hear what we want to hear and disregard the rest.

Once we form opinions, we tend to overvalue information that reinforces them and undervalue information that undermines them (conservatism bias). We even tend to seek out supporting information (confirmatory bias). Thus, we irrationally cling to incorrect conclusions, and, to paraphrase Simon and Garfunkel, hear what we want to hear and disregard the rest.
    or sometimes we say alot and don't say anything or
    take ~60 words to say what could be said in 10.

oops sorry Ricardo Cabesa, I'm so used to being bashed over here I think I was being paranoid. Perhaps referring to westofyou post? Of course, if you were referring to me, I take back apology.

Yeah... I'm the confused one here.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Yeah... I'm the confused one here.

Thanks for pointing that out.
    ha ha...i think he may have been hammering you for your table of rodney dangerfield players...

<nice herzog quote too>

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    ha ha...i think he may have been hammering you for your table of rodney dangerfield players...

<nice herzog quote too>
    Based on Mr Cabesa's previous posts in this thread, I really don't think he was hammering woy. Just my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Based on Mr Cabesa's previous posts in this thread, I really don't think he was hammering woy. Just my observation.
    nah...Cabesa is agreeing with RedsRule (his words "nailed it")...and poking fun at guy who said Dunn should not bat 2nd (Larry Cable Guy comment) . Cabesa seems to be on board with some of us who are not ready to hand over the keys to the city to dunners.

woy, on the other hand wants to bat Dunn 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Ok so what would your lineup look like? I think I would go with:

D'Lo
    Casey
    Grif
    Dunn
    Kearns
    Randa
    Larue
    Lopez
    Pitcher

Would love to be able to place Freel at the top, but where do you realistically place him in the field?

When I first read the title of the thread I thought it was a dumb idea, but you made some really good points. I dont see a problem with at least giving it a shot. Actually I think that makes the line-up much better and hope they give it a shot. I would never hit him 3rd, I think the 3 spot should be for the best hitter on the team no matter what. So Casey has that spot again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hatcher
    i dont want this to sound like a dunn bash because i like the guy but he should not be in the top 3 for batting. He takes a lot of pitches but he cannot in my opinion 'work the count'. He cannot intentionally foul off boarderline pitches nor does he have an effortless two strike swing. He always seems to get schooled against a pitcher that knows what he's doing. If he can put the ball in play more and cut the k total then im for it. But to say that his high obp offsets his high K total doesn't seem quite right.
    But if he changes his swing and starts trying ot be a contact hitter, then he won't be as good. He's a power hitter, not a contact guy. A lot of his success comes from swinging hard and driving the ball. He is the Reds' best hitter, it doesn't make sense to move him down in the order and limit the number of at bats (as WOY said earlier).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan the Reds Fan
    Ok so what would your lineup look like? I think I would go with:

D'Lo
    Casey
    Grif
    Dunn
    Kearns
    Randa
    Larue
    Lopez
    Pitcher

Would love to be able to place Freel at the top, but where do you realistically place him in the field?
    How about this?

Freel Nation (2B)
    Dunners
    the mayor
    griff/kearns or pena
    griff/kearns or pena
    D-Lo (playing SS)
    Randa (playing 3B)
    Jason (at times a little scarier than Jason)

Turn Off Ads?