Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russell Simmons takes on KFC

Russell Simmons takes on KFC

Both of the below stories were in our local paper and caught my attention

Russell Simmons takes on KFC

February 15. 2005 8:00AM

NEW YORK - Hip-hop impresario Russell Simmons has joined other celebrities and activists who have criticized Kentucky Fried Chicken, saying he will call for a boycott if the company doesn't reform its slaughter practices.

Simmons called slaughter practices used by the fast-food chain's suppliers "grossly inhumane" and has filmed a commercial "showing some of the very worst abuses chickens undergo" before they are served to customers, the Daily Newsreported Sunday.

Simmons, who is chairman of Def Jam Records and is a vegan, said he has talked to officials of Yum! Brands, the parent company of KFC, and said he will release the ad and start a boycott if the company does not reform its practices.

"When a company targets our community, disrespects us as consumers and sells us products ridden with negative energy and laced with toxins, that is our business," said Simmons.

Other celebrities and activists who have raised their voices against KFC include the Rev. Al Sharpton, comedian and social activist Dick Gregory, actress Pamela Anderson and musician Paul McCartney.

---------------------------------------------------------------

negative energy? I've never gotten that at any KFC I've visited; but I have gotten their chicken livers (love'em).

I have friends who are "vegen". I respect their choice and decision to do so. I have no problem with it one bit at all. That's their personal choice. But I don't think those same feelings are reciprocated towards those within our society who are meat-eaters. I'm not making that claim towards all vegetarians; but only those who seem high-profile, and such groups as PETA and others. I personally think they are nutcases.

Over the years I've listened to them say we shouldn't eat meat, some even go as far as saying the same for fish, and some go as far as saying we shouldn't eat dairy products (that milk was only intended for that young calf).

But isn't a plant a living entity?

Mr Simmons is upset over the "inhumane" way they slaughter chickens. He would have really been upset at some of my relatives (who were farmers), who would go out into the pen, grab a chicken and snap it's neck before cutting it up. Or what they did when they butchered a hog or cow.

My diet is pretty balanced. I eat alot healthier as I've gotten older. I daily eat fresh fruits and vegetables, along with grains, in place of the vending machine snack items at breaktime at work.

But there ain't nothing like a burger or steak sizzling on the grill IMO. You give me a fershly cut vidalia onion and a garden tomatoe, and I'm in heaven!

-----------------------------------------------------------

And here is another example of what I deem to be extreme....

Study: Lobsters unlikely to feel pain

By CLARKE CANFIELD
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

PORTLAND, Maine -- A new study out of Norway concludes it's unlikely lobsters feel pain, stirring up a long-simmering debate over whether Maine's most valuable seafood suffers when it's being cooked.

Animal activists for years have claimed that lobsters are in agony when being cooked, and that dropping one in a pot of boiling water is tantamount to torture.

The study, funded by the Norwegian government and written by a scientist at the University of Oslo, suggests lobsters and other invertebrates such as crabs, snails and worms probably don't suffer even if lobsters do tend to thrash in boiling water.

"Lobsters and crabs have some capacity of learning, but it is unlikely that they can feel pain," concluded the 39-page report, aimed at determining if creatures without backbones should be subject to animal welfare legislation as Norway revises its animal welfare law.

Lobster biologists in Maine have maintained for years that the lobster's primitive nervous system and underdeveloped brain are similar to that of an insect. While lobsters react to different stimuli, such as boiling water, the reactions are escape mechanisms, not a conscious response or an indication of pain, they say.

"It's a semantic thing: No brain, no pain," said Mike Loughlin, who studied the matter when he was a University of Maine graduate student and is now a biologist at the Maine Atlantic Salmon Commission.

The Norwegian report also reinforces what people in the lobster industry have always contended, said Bob Bayer, executive director of the Lobster Institute, a research and education organization in Orono.

"We've maintained all along that the lobster doesn't have the ability to process pain," Bayer said.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, an animal rights organization based in Norfolk, Va., has made lobster pain part of its Fish Empathy Project, putting out stickers and pamphlets with slogans such as "Being Boiled Hurts. Let Lobsters Live." Group supporters regularly demonstrate at the Maine Lobster Festival in Rockland.

PETA's Karin Robertson called the Norwegian study biased, saying the government doesn't want to hurt the country's fishing industry.

"This is exactly like the tobacco industry claiming that smoking doesn't cause cancer," she said.

Robertson said many scientists believe lobsters do feel pain. For instance, a zoologist with The Humane Society of the United States made a written declaration that lobsters can feel pain after a chef dismembered and sauteed a live lobster to prepare a Lobster Fra Diavolo dish on NBC's "Today" show in 1994.

It's debatable whether the debate will ever be resolved.

The Norwegian study, even while saying it's unlikely that crustaceans feel pain, also cautioned that more research is needed because there is a scarcity of scientific knowledge on the subject.

And, many consumers will always hesitate at placing lobsters in boiling pots of water.

New Englanders may feel comfortable cooking their lobsters, but people outside the region often feel uneasy about boiling a live creature, said Kristen Millar, executive director of the Maine Lobster Promotion Council.

"Consumers don't generally greet and meet an animal before they eat it," she said."
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Russell Simmons takes on KFC

This is exactly like the tobacco industry claiming that smoking doesn't cause cancer
    I think that analogy probably fails on several levels.

Meat grosses me out, this also does.

NEW YORK (AP) --- An investigator for an animal rights group captured video showing chickens being kicked, stomped and thrown against a wall by workers at a supplier for KFC, which has been under pressure since last year over the treatment of animals.

Pilgrim's Pride spokesman Ray Atkinson said Tuesday the company is appalled by what it saw on the video, has reopened a previous investigation into complaints of chicken mistreatment and will fire any employees who are found to have violated company policies on animal welfare.

Pilgrim's Pride received an anonymous report about mistreatment April 29 and immediately stopped production, he said.

PETA says its investigator also obtained eyewitness testimony about employees "ripping birds' beaks off, spray painting their faces, twisting their heads off, spitting tobacco into their mouths and eyes, and breaking them in half --- all while the birds are still alive."

http://www.newstarget.com/001469.html

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

But isn't a plant a living entity?
    Yes, but it doesn't have a brain or nerve endings which cause pain and suffering when it is killed.

The hole in the argument being used here is that Russell Simmons and PETA are not saying that we have to protect all "living entities." The reasonable inference here is that they mean living entities that are actually aware that they are being tortured and killed.

If you tear a leaf off of a flower, it doesn't feel anything.

I don't think anyone in this debate is saying that a plant is the same as a chicken.

Your dietary preferences and mine are probably similar, but I do wish the animals wouldn't have to be tortured to end up on my plate. The fact that they will die anyway does not mean I'm fine with some of the practices described above.

The fact that our relatives "used to do something" does not mean that it is right. Our relatives also used to put butter on burn wounds and used leeches to rid the body of disease.

I'm for science and progress allowing us to find better ways of doing things, and if it means that we don't tear the beaks off of a chicken or spit in its face before we kill it, then I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-17-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Serve up Negative Energy?

That comes with a side order of mashed potatoes and gravy doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Yes, but it doesn't have a brain or nerve endings which cause pain and suffering when it is killed.

If you tear a leaf off of a flower, it doesn't feel anything. I don't think anyone in this debate is saying that a plant is the same as a chicken.

:mhcky21:
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm for science and progress allowing us to find better ways of doing things, and if it means that we don't tear the beaks off of a chicken or spit in its face before we kill it, then I'm all for it.
    I doubt those actions are official Pilgrim's Pride policy. More likely, they've got a couple of idiots who think it would be funny to torture animals.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Whoever McDonalds contracts with is experimenting with a more humane way of killing chickens via inert gas.

My roommate from college was a meat science major when we were up at OSU. He had a lot of stories to tell about animal slaughtering. Cows are stunned by driving a air-pressure driven spike through their skull (that would stun me too) and then bled to death. Sometimes they drive the spike all the way through to the spine so they don't flop around and injure themselvers. I think swine were slaughtered in a similar fashion. Chickens are hung by their feet, dragged though electrified water to stun them, and then their throats are slit to bleed them. And then scalded to get their feathers off. Sometimes, with all their flopping around, they get missed in the throat cutting and they die in the scalding. And I won't get into sausage making.

He still works in the meat packing biz. He throws a helluva barbecue.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Whoever McDonalds contracts with is experimenting with a more humane way of killing chickens via inert gas.

My roommate from college was a meat science major when we were up at OSU. He had a lot of stories to tell about animal slaughtering. Cows are stunned by driving a air-pressure driven spike through their skull (that would stun me too) and then bled to death. Sometimes they drive the spike all the way through to the spine so they don't flop around and injure themselvers. I think swine were slaughtered in a similar fashion. Chickens are hung by their feet, dragged though electrified water to stun them, and then their throats are slit to bleed them. And then scalded to get their feathers off. Sometimes, with all their flopping around, they get missed in the throat cutting and they die in the scalding. And I won't get into sausage making.

He still works in the meat packing biz. He throws a helluva barbecue.

When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker

Wow.

I mean...

Wow.

I should have studied Sausageology instead of Sociology.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Wow.

I mean...

Wow.
    Did you think they died of old age?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Some of the smaller local slaughter houses around here still use the ole forty-five to the head method. Works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Did you think they died of old age?
    Yes of course I did.

I also think money grows on trees and rain is the tears of God.

I suppose I am just in the minority, because I obviously don't read much about spikes being driven through the skulls of cows and the electrocution and scalding death of chickens.

I agree with woy that they need to monitor (and clean up) the system inwhich they kill/slaughter these animals. Even though the end result is to kill the animal for food, that does not mean we are to allow them to be tortured along the way to that end result.

But I also tend to agree with Johnny, who states this...

I doubt those actions are official Pilgrim's Pride policy. More likely, they've got a couple of idiots who think it would be funny to torture animals.
    Awhile back, Mike McConnel (WLW) had a couple young girls from PETA on his show. They admitted to being "city slickers" who know nothing about farm life. They were talking about eating meat, and especially from cows. They also were opposed to taking milk from the cows for the production of dairy products. They could not understand why we had to do this to cows. Why can't we simply learn to "co-exist" with the cow and other animals we utilize for food, clothing, etc.

What I would have liked to ask these two girls is.... who is suppose to absorb the cost of housing, feeding, and caring for these animals? Or are we suppose to just let them roam around wild (most would never survive)?

Do they realize what it costs a farmer now to feed, house, and care for these animals in order to prepare them for market? You try suggesting the above to any farmer, and see what kind of response you get.

They brought up that you can go to slaughter house and hear livestock crying. Of course they say it's because these animals comprehend that they are about to be slaughtered, and are expressing their anguish. Nonsense! The animals react this way due to the change of environment that is strange to them. Just like when you go to the county fair and walk through the stables there to see the animals and hear them doing the same. It's strange to them.

But to get back to Mr Simmons. I doubt a vegen deciding to boycott is gonna be very effective, or is gonna worry KFC since they don't partake of their product to begin with.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?