Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bengals Franchise Rudi/Bengals extend Marvin Lewis through 2008

bomarl1969

Re: Bengals extend Marvin Lewis through 2008

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Your apology is duly noted, and appreciated. Don't let it happen again, child, or you'll get sent to your room without supper.
    That wouldn't be good, I like food, I need food, I'm getting hungry right now just thinking about food. Can I at least still play with Castle Grayskull and my micro machines!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    Sorry Dad.
    Dad says that in case you didn't notice, we have common rules here that everyone is expected to follow. That includes you.

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    Sorry Dad.
    :MandJ:

Sorry, but that was pretty funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

More Bengals news today. They have put the franchise tag on Rudi Johnson. That protects him for this year but hopefully they can sign him to a longer deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1992105

bomarl1969

Rudi is a step in the right direction. Hope that more good news will be in store for the Bengals in the coming months.

Thing is, Rudi might sit out now that he's tagged.

It's kind of a slap in the face to most players for whatever reason.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I'm trying to reconcile Rudi saying he wants a LTC from the Bengals so he can finish out his career as a Bengal, so he says, yet says that he'll sit out if he gets paid for one year as if he is one of the top backs in the game by the team that he wants a LTC from. It just doesn't compute.

That seems like someone talking out of both sides of their mouth, and I'm glad that the Bengals played their trump card despite Rudi's bluff. And if he's not bluffing, then I don't think the ace high, no pairs hand he holds is very likely going to win the pot.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Sorry, but Rudi's not worth the 6+ whatever mil he's going to get with the frnachise tag. He can't run outside and doesn't catch. He's a very good downhill back - and it's a good thing for him that he is, because when the Bengals are turning to the run all the opposition has to do is load up the middle - they know Rudi can't go anywhere else.

The only reason this makes any sense is Perry's inability to play last season. I don't think Rudi would get that kind of money from any other team out there.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I agree with Z on this.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Sorry, but Rudi's not worth the 6+ whatever mil he's going to get with the frnachise tag. He can't run outside and doesn't catch. He's a very good downhill back - and it's a good thing for him that he is, because when the Bengals are turning to the run all the opposition has to do is load up the middle - they know Rudi can't go anywhere else.

The only reason this makes any sense is Perry's inability to play last season. I don't think Rudi would get that kind of money from any other team out there.
    Maybe, maybe not, but he will pay off in two first round draft picks at the worst now, whereas most recently they just let Takeo walk and got nothing for him. I'm guessing they will put together a package for him, but the key thing is to get compensated if the numbers don't work out. If they overpay him for one year, that's sunk cost at worst, and apparently they are willing to take the hit if need be.

Bengals Franchise Rudi

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...502160352/1066

Johnson Bengals' 'franchise'
    Tag probably keeps RB here in '05; longer deal sought

The Bengals placed the binding one-year franchise designation on Rudi Johnson Tuesday but vowed to continue to try to reach a long-term contract with the running back.

Johnson, who set a single-season franchise rushing record with 1,454 yards this past season and played in the Pro Bowl, was typically upbeat when reached late Tuesday afternoon.

"I'm still optimistic, still hopeful that we can reach a long-term deal," he said.

Johnson, through agent Peter Schaffer, in January said he would sit out the 2005 season rather than play under a second consecutive one-year deal. The Bengals tendered Johnson a one-year contract in 2004 as a restricted free agent, which he signed May 11.

Will he play this coming season?

"I'm not even going to think about that," said Johnson, who can become a free agent March 2.

Johnson will earn $6.3 million if he signs the offer. The value is the average of the top five salaries for NFL running backs in 2004-05. Another team would have to compensate the Bengals, who have the right to match any offer, with its first-round draft choices in 2005 and 2006 if it signed Johnson.

"This is the most responsible move we can make in pursuit of our goal to give our fans a playoff season and a run at the Super Bowl in 2005," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said in a statement. "We will continue to work with Rudi and his representatives for the possibility of a long-term contract."

The pace of negotiations with the Bengals has frustrated Schaffer.

"It took them 17 months to make one proposal. We countered," Schaffer said. "There has been no next proposal."

After Johnson rushed for 957 yards in five starts in 2003, he took over the featured-back role from Corey Dillon, who was traded to New England, and started all 16 games in 2004-05. Johnson's 361 carries and 1,454 yards set single-season club records. His five 100-yard games equaled another club mark.

Johnson wants a five- or six-year contract with the Bengals.

Schaffer referred to the one-year contract extension for Lewis announced Monday. Lewis is under contract through 2008, the rest of the coaching staff through 2006.

"Marvin got the extra year. Marvin has security," Schaffer said. "They clearly want Rudi. He is their franchise player. Now they need to step up to the plate and pay him fair market value."

Lewis, in his statement, said Johnson would be paid fairly under terms of the franchise tag spelled out in the league's collective bargaining agreement.

"The franchise option is designed to help a team retain a top player, and the player's union (NFL Players Association) supports it because it guarantees that player a salary commensurate with what he has accomplished," Lewis said.

The Bengals drafted Chris Perry in the first round a year ago as a possible heir apparent to Johnson, but the former Michigan running back suffered injuries that limited him to five touches. Lewis has said he has not lost confidence in Perry.

Johnson, fresh off his first Pro Bowl, in which he rushed six times for 33 yards, said he and Schaffer would continue to "push hard" for a long-term deal.

"We have an honest disagreement to Rudi's value," Schaffer said. "And the best way to determine value would be to let him hit the market. But they've taken him off the market."
    And here I thought the Bengals got rid of "Leon" in favor of nice, unselfish Rudi. Isn't Rudi supposed to be the "team player" they wanted to replace the alleged "me first" Corey Dillon?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Re: Bengals Franchise Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...502160352/1066

And here I thought the Bengals got rid of "Leon" in favor of nice, unselfish Rudi. Isn't Rudi supposed to be the "team player" they wanted to replace the alleged "me first" Corey Dillon?
    Alleged? It wouldn't even take CSI-Cincy to build a case that Dillon was a me first guy while with the Bengals.

I have mixed feelings with Rudi's attitude here. I try not to let the amount of money sway me, but so far his actions have been confusing. I think his agent is helping him to take a grandstanding approach, which is too bad, because Rudi does genuinely seem to want to be with the Bengals but wants to get paid what he thinks the market is. Honestly, I don't see that as an unreasonable expectation, and it doesn't seem like the Bengals do either since they chose to tag him and pay him top dollar if he signs on for one more year. I think the difference probably is wrapped up in length of contract and signing bonus. I'm sure the Bengals don't want to do any more than about three years, maybe four max considering his position and a #1 draft choice named Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    I like it! Lets just go ahead and sign him through 2010.
    I don't know CQ. The shelf life of RB's isn't that long in the NFL is it? How long has Rudi been around?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?