Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Networking question, Please help!!

Networking question, Please help!!

I'm having some issues with sharing a printer and files over a wireless connection. We have 3 computers, 2 laptops and a desktop. The laptops roam around the house, and the desktop has the printer hooked up to it. All 3 computers run through one router (a Westell wireless router provided by Verizon). While the two laptops are wirelessly connected, the desktop is directly connect to the router. All computers are running windows xp with norton antivirus/firewall.

I can get the two laptops to connect to each other, no problem. But neither one can connect to the desktop to print, nor can the desktop connect to them to transfer files.

Anyone have any ideas?
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Cruisin' for trouble

Re: Networking question, Please help!!

I'm probably not the best authority, but will give it a shot.

On the desktop PC, click Start and then click on Printers and Faxes over on the right. Alternatively, find the Control Panel and then Printers and Faxes.

Right-click on the printer that you have installed and left-click on Sharing. Make sure that Share this printer is selected and you give the printer a shared name. That should do it for the printer.

As for file sharing, you'll need to pull up Explorer (your list of folders) and find the folder that you want to share. Right-click on the folder and go down to Sharing and Security...

When the box pops up, go down to Network sharing and security and check the box marked Share this folder on the network. This *may* not apply to any of the subfolders within the folder you are sharing - that may take some trial and error.

See how far that gets ya.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If the desktop won't share the printer nicely, you could put the printer on a print server which would cause it to show up independently on the network.

I was just at CompUSA checking out network hardware today and saw that there are several print server models available for around $50.
    /r/reds

I believe with XP you have to explicity specify which printers and folders you wish to share on each computer, as GoReds has suggested. I haven't been able to share anything between my computers either, but I discovered that my problem arises from XP's (on my laptop) unwllingness to play nicely with 98SP2 (on my desktop). And I can forget about upgrading the 98 machine, because the pc is 7 years old and does not meet the minimum upgrade requirements.

Unassisted's alternative is a good possibility, but getting a print server has it's good points and bad points

Bad - it costs money to buy a print server and it won't solve your file-sharing problem

Good - all computers on the network can communicate directly (well, in a manner of speaking) with the printer, so if you're desktop goes down, you won't lose access to the printer.

yep. Has to be shared. Since you are not running a domain (I assume). You will want to make sure that your logins for all you machines are synched, so that when personA logs onto notebookY, DesktopY has a corresponding (identical loginname) account for personA with the same password, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus_the_Red
    While the two laptops are wirelessly connected, the desktop is directly connect to the router. All computers are running windows xp with norton antivirus/firewall.
    The Norton Firewall could be causing the problem. I had a situation like this occur and I disabled the Norton Firewall and I was able to share files (that I had setup) and the printer. (I un-installed the firewall because it was not needed because of the router's hardware firewall and XP SP2 firewall.)

If the route has a hardware firewall, you do not need the software firewall especially if you have XP SP2.
    Last edited by HotCorner; 02-21-2005 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks for the tips everyone, turns out the issue was with Norton firewall conflicting with the firewall built into the router like 2844 mentioned.

Thanks alot! :gac:
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Glad I could be of assistance.

Turn Off Ads?